Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale, Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinelonestar2004
Live to party,work to affordit.
 User Gallery

Loc: South Texas
Ebonics suggested for district
    #4419112 - 07/18/05 01:51 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Ebonics suggested for district

By Irma Lemus Staff Writer

SAN BERNARDINO Incorporating Ebonics into a new school policy that targets black students, the lowest-achieving group in the San Bernardino City Unified School District, may provide students a more well-rounded curriculum, said a local sociologist.

The goal of the district's policy is to improve black students' academic performance by keeping them interested in school. Compared with other racial groups in the district, black students go to college the least and have the most dropouts and suspensions.

Blacks make up the second largest racial group in the district, trailing Latinos.

A pilot of the policy, known as the Students Accumulating New Knowledge Optimizing Future Accomplishment Initiative, has been implemented at two city schools.

Mary Texeira, a sociology professor at Cal State San Bernardino, commended the San Bernardino Board of Education for approving the policy in June.

Texeira suggested that including Ebonics in the program would be beneficial for students. Ebonics, a dialect of American English that is spoken by many blacks throughout the country, was recognized as a separate language in 1996 by the Oakland school board.

"Ebonics is a different language, it's not slang as many believe,' Texeira said. "For many of these students Ebonics is their language, and it should be considered a foreign language. These students should be taught like other students who speak a foreign language.'

Texeira said research has shown that students learn better when they fully comprehend the language they are being taught in.

"There are African Americans who do not agree with me. They say that (black students) are lazy and that they need to learn to talk,' Texeira said.

Len Cooper, who is coordinating the pilot program at the two city schools, said San Bernardino district officials do not plan to incorporate Ebonics into the program.

"Because Ebonics can have a negative stigma, we're not focusing on that,' Cooper said. "We are affirming and recognizing Ebonics through supplemental reading books (for students).'

Beginning in the 2005-06 school year, teachers will receive training on black culture and customs. District curriculum will now include information on the historical, cultural and social impact of blacks in society. Although the program is aimed at black students, other students can choose to participate.

The pilot program at Rio Vista Elementary and King Middle schools focuses on second-, fourth- and seventh-grade classes. District officials hope to train teachers from other schools using the program as a model.

Board member Danny Tillman, who pushed for the policy, said that full implementation of the program at all schools may take years, but the pilot program is a beginning.

"At every step we will see positive results,' Tillman said.

Tillman hoped the new policy would increase the number of black students going to college and participating in advanced courses.

Teresa Parra, board vice president, said she worried the new program would have an adverse effect.

"I'm afraid that now that we have this the Hispanic community, our largest population, will say, 'We want something for us.' Next we'll have the Asian community and the Jewish community (asking for their own programs). When will it end?'

Parra said the district should focus on helping all students who are at risk.

"I've always thought that we should provide students support based on their needs and not on their race,' Parra said.

Tillman disagreed with Parra, saying programs that help Latinos already exist in the district. He cited the district's English- as-a-second-language program.

Texeira urged people not be quick to judge the new program as socially exclusive. She said people need to be open to the program.

"Everybody has prejudices, but we must all learn to control that behavior,' Texeira said. She said a child's self confidence is tied to his or her cultural identity.

She compared the low performance of black students to starvation. "How can you be angry when you feed a family of starving children?'

Ratibu Jacocks, a member of the Westside Action Group, a coalition of black activists, said they are working with the district to ensure the policy is implemented appropriately.

"This isn't a feel-good policy. This is the real thing,' Jacocks said.

Jacocks said he didn't believe the new policy would create animosity. He said he welcomed the idea of other ethnic groups pushing for their own programs.

"When you are doing what's right, others will follow,' Jacocks said. "We have led the way before the civil-rights movement opened the door for women's rights and other movements.'
http://www.sbsun.com/Stories/0,1413,208~12588~2969790,00.html

--------------------
America's debt problem is a "sign of leadership failure"

We have "reckless fiscal policies"

America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership.

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
Re: Ebonics suggested for district [Re: lonestar2004]
    #4419128 - 07/18/05 01:55 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

In the words of Martin Luther King:

"I has a dream."

Phred

--------------------

OfflineWhiteRabbitt
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Ebonics suggested for district [Re: Phred]
    #4419595 - 07/18/05 03:11 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

mlk has probably been rolling in his grave nonstop for the last 10 years or so.

--------------------
You gotta jump and swing up to hit me in the knees.

Offlinefreddurgan
Techgnostic
Male

Re: Ebonics suggested for district [Re: WhiteRabbitt]
    #4420320 - 07/18/05 06:29 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah that's pretty crappy. It's not a damn language. It's fucked up english.

LETS TEACH SPANGLISH!

--------------------
Ishmael
http://www.ishmael.org

Ron Paul 2008!
http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
    #4420457 - 07/18/05 07:04 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

how exactly does ghetto slang become elevated to 'language' status?

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Re: Ebonics suggested for district [Re: afoaf]
    #4420519 - 07/18/05 07:19 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Through the magic of "diversity" and "multiculturalism", yo.

Phred

--------------------

InvisibleGijith
Daisy Chain Eater

Loc: New York
    #4420762 - 07/18/05 08:27 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

A return to the Queen's English!

I kinda have mixed feelings on this... Is the Ebonics being offered as an elective, or as a replacement of standard English? My reading comprehension ain't so good. If it's being offered as an elective, cool. As far as I'm concerned, black culture continues to produce interesting language. I'd rather be addressed by Don King than John Kerry, any day of the week.

If it's being offered as an alternative or replacement, I think they need to reexamine the situation. These days, standard English grammar has become scarce in our schools. I swear, I was never taught a single day of grammar in my 13 years of public schooling. I'm sure many people here could say the same. Maybe it shows, maybe it doesn't. I don't think it really matters. We don't need to waste kids' time teaching them the ups and downs of the tongue, let alone alternate dialects. As a requirement, I think basic reading and writing will do. Give them things they'll actually need and things they can't be taught by watching cartoons.

Really though, at the end of the day, as long as parents and students are given a choice, I could care less. Let them learn what they like.

And yeah, this chick's assertion that Ebonics is a language is retarded. Having some roots in foreign language doesn't transform a dialect into a foreign language.

--------------------
what's with neocons and the word 'ilk'?

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

#4421603 - 07/18/05 11:39 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

--------------------

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
Re: Ebonics suggested for district [Re: Phred]
    #4422341 - 07/19/05 03:58 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Phred said:
In the words of Martin Luther King:

"I has a dream."

Phred

:lol:

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Ebonics suggested for district [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #4422409 - 07/19/05 05:06 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

> Ebonics is a different language, it's not slang as many believe

As many of you know, I live in a mostly black population. It took me about a year and a half to pick up the 'lingo'. Granted, the carib speak is a bit different than the ghetto speak, but they aren't too far removed. It most certainly is not a different language. That doesn't mean that somebody that has never heard it before can understand what is being said.

The grammatical patterns are different. Instead of asking, "Where is your sister?" I would ask, "Where she is?". Instead of saying, "I don't know her" I would say, "I no know she." The cadence of the speech is also different, much slower and musical. The rhythm makes it sound as if they are talking fast, but the actual words produced come out much slower. It is a very odd and beutiful mix. However, the meaning of the words are the same. A car is a car, a cat is a cat and a boat is a boat. If I try to tell one of the locals that they aren't speaking English, but some other language, "dey gonna get upset 'n mash me good, meh-son".

> These students should be taught like other students who speak a foreign language

Hmmm... I never saw a special french speaking school for all of the french immigrants. The french immigrants that I knew went to the same school that I did, using the same language (as best they could) that I did.

I was gonna say more about the consequences of this, but Phred summed up my thoughts nicely with a few words... "I has a dream"

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
    #4422694 - 07/19/05 09:04 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

It is not the government's place to regulate language.

There is no such thing as "correct English", only English that is compliant with a set standard.

ISO9000 English

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
Re: Ebonics suggested for district [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #4422861 - 07/19/05 09:58 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

what are the RFCs governing Engrish?

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Re: Ebonics suggested for district [Re: afoaf]
    #4423172 - 07/19/05 11:07 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

OfflineBCBudJohn
Foolhardy

Loc: Victoria, BC, Canada
Re: Ebonics suggested for district [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #4423243 - 07/19/05 11:24 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

It's a dialect. African/english dialects are spoken anywhere african slaves were brought too.. jamaica, belize, costa rica you name it.. All unique, all languages. It's probably a liberal plot, really the only language is english. Culture is a lie created by liberals.

--------------------
Peace
John

InvisibleKrishna
कृष्ण,LOL
 User Gallery

Loc: oakland
Re: Ebonics suggested for district [Re: BCBudJohn]
    #4423303 - 07/19/05 11:37 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

"There are African Americans who do not agree with me. They say that (black students) are lazy and that they need to learn to talk"

i don't know whether to laugh or shake my head in disgust at this whole thing.

ok, a bit of both.

--------------------

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
Re: Ebonics suggested for district [Re: Krishna]
    #4423318 - 07/19/05 11:41 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Krishna said:
"There are African Americans who do not agree with me. They say that (black students) are lazy and that they need to learn to talk"

i don't know whether to laugh or shake my head in disgust at this whole thing.

ok, a bit of both.

What you mean by 'dis? I be shakin' my head.

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
    #4423587 - 07/19/05 12:53 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Is "head" even a word in ebonics? Surely there must be some other, like maybe "melon" or "nut" or "skull". Any ebonic speakers out there who can clear this up for us poor illiterate and backward fools?

--------------------

Invisiblenewuser1492
Re: Ebonics suggested for district [Re: zappaisgod]
    #4423612 - 07/19/05 01:03 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I thought head had to do with oral sex.

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
Re: Ebonics suggested for district [Re: zappaisgod]
    #4423636 - 07/19/05 01:14 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

zappaisgod said:
Is "head" even a word in ebonics? Surely there must be some other, like maybe "melon" or "nut" or "skull". Any ebonic speakers out there who can clear this up for us poor illiterate and backward fools?

Oh...you're right. I accidentally used an English word in an ebonics sentence. I think the ebonic word for head is "dome".

Invisiblekake
The answer to1984 is 1776.
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The 66th harmonic
    #4424193 - 07/19/05 03:35 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

What the hell is going on out there, I ain't got a muffuckin clue. :foshizzle:

> Students Accumulating New Knowledge Optimizing Future Accomplishment Initiative :handth:

Is that the best title they could come up with?  :rofl2: That has NOTHING to do with black students OR ebonics.  Sounds like the kind of title federal bills get so legislators will pass them without reading them.

I mean, they could sum up that 8-word bullshit title with one word.... EDUCATION and isn't that what they're supposed to be doing in the first place?

:dumblol:

--------------------
The answer to 1984 is 1776.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale, Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale