Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida Flag
Re: why christianity is bullshit [Re: spud]
    #4412423 - 07/16/05 05:23 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Allegro's work is a classic farce. Andrija Puharich tried to make a similar claim for ancient Egyptian civilization.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Re: why christianity is bullshit [Re: Icelander]
    #4412496 - 07/16/05 05:59 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Yes, and to those I would add the Grateful Dead and New Riders of the Purple Sage. I began taking psychedelics in June of 1971 and all of these guys took me places that I never would've gone but for their lyrics as food for thought.

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

InvisibleMerkin
neep.
 User Gallery

Loc: Ass Flavoured Pie Factory
Re: why christianity is bullshit [Re: Fospher]
    #4413466 - 07/16/05 11:40 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Fospher said:

Pushing atheism is just pushing another belief. People are religious for spirituality and direction, not to pick at logic of the belief with your own.

LOL, who said anything a bout atheism???!

:rolleyes:

:|

--------------------
Wheels of cheese wheeels of cheeeeese!!!

InvisibleMushmanTheManic
Stranger

Re: why christianity is bullshit [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #4413836 - 07/17/05 01:09 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Well, Christianity bores my mind.

OfflineOldWoodSpecter
waiting
Male

Loc: mountains and lakes
    #4414099 - 07/17/05 05:33 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

MarkostheGnostic said:
Boredom is an emotional condition of YOUR mind, not a quality of a reality to which your singular life pales in comparison.

In fact it's not even an emotion, it's lack of attention, detachment from the environment, it's almost like a malfunction of the mind.
A bored mind is a lost mind

--------------------
I descend upon your earth from the skies
I command your very souls you unbelievers
Bring before me what is mine

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Re: why christianity is bullshit [Re: OldWoodSpecter]
    #4414131 - 07/17/05 06:31 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Boredom is attitudinal, but I called it emotional. It is like a 'buffer' of some kind which prevents focus. Boredom refuses to 'dig,' to 'get into' whatever is offerred to the mind at a given time. Adolescents, for example, will attend quite readily to other kids around them, to the tiniest detail, but will 'be bored by' and tune out the subject matter at hand. At bottom, there is laziness, inertness of mind. Ask a lot of kids and they will say "I hate to think" [!!!] They would rather be passively filled by other stimulations: eating, talking, looking, touching, singing to themselves, drumming fingers, etc.

I read somewhere once: 'Boredom is the springboard into eternity.' As my Zen Calendar said yesterday:

All of us are apprenticed to the same teacher - reality. It is as hard to get the children herded into the car pool and down the road to the bus as it is to chant sutras in the Buddha-hall on a cold morning. One is not better than the other, each can be quite boring; and they both have the virtuous quality of repetition. Repetition and its good results make the very activities of our life into the path.
- Gary Snyder

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Re: why christianity is bullshit [Re: MushmanTheManic]
    #4414133 - 07/17/05 06:39 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Well, then you have a boring mind.

"Sorry about that Chief."
- Maxwell Smart

OfflineKairoAnnunaki
Stranger
    #4414137 - 07/17/05 06:45 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Don't mind me, just my two cents.

I don't think you should call any religion bullshit. Especially if it's ancient. For all you know it's like someone could have taken a brick of the truth and smashed it up against a wall.

Why be so negate about it? Personally, then saying that one is bullshit. Rather then seek out why they all should be connected for a truth, outside of each individual religion.

The way "we" look at it, it's all possible.

OfflineKairoAnnunaki
Stranger
Re: why christianity is bullshit [Re: KairoAnnunaki]
    #4414138 - 07/17/05 06:46 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

You know what pisses "us" off though? About creationists who say evolution isn't real? How do they know god didn't create everything. With the purpose of it evolving.

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Re: why christianity is bullshit [Re: KairoAnnunaki]
    #4414786 - 07/17/05 12:54 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Yo- KairoAunnanaki. I see that you are a newbie. Note which one of us created this thread and click the reply button next to that person's name. You'll notice that MarkostheGnostic did not write that nonsense - I am a defender of true Christianity.

Peace Out.

--------------------

InvisibleMushmanTheManic
Stranger

#4415120 - 07/17/05 02:43 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I grew up a devout Christian. I've debated Christianity to the point where my brain has become numb. Christs words do not provide my brain with much stimulus. Repetition can do that to a person. After reading a book, I find a new book to read. Reading the same book twice isn't very mentally stimulating.
I'd much rather learn about something new, like Hinduism or Buddhism, which I know all-to-little about.

Sorry, but your belief system does not interest me. And I'm sorry that dogmas being regurgitated causes me to become bored.

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

#4415546 - 07/17/05 04:09 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

You have no idea whatsoever what my beliefs are, since I've never imparted them to you. They do not belong to a "belief system" but are as unique as I am a unique human being. Uniqueness however is still built from universals, just like every snowflake is built from the same water molecules.

You were never a "devout Christian" or you would be a devout Christian even now. What you have been is the recipient of programming, and your programming has worn off. Never has your Center been 'converted' by Truth or you would be filled with Truth even now, and there's nothing jucier or more alive than Truth. GOD is Truth. If you can't find Truth within Christendom, you're sure-as-Hell not gonna find it ensconced in some other tradition. But, like Dorothy'd trip to Oz - you're maybe going to have to find out that it's never been further than your own back yard.

If all Christianity means to you is reading Bible passages, then by all means, get on with your Quest! Stop griping and get a move on 'cause you're wasting precious time! I was not raised with Christ, so when I found the Truth, I was knocked on my ass (or off my ass) like Saul of Tarsus, and a Great Light arose in my Heart never to have set again. It blazes still like the Sun at High Noon illuminating my being. I Know other faiths intimately and they have melded into my unique grasp of Truth. As to your own predicament - blame not THAT which you can never comprehend for the difficulties in your own mind.

--------------------

InvisibleMushmanTheManic
Stranger

#4419093 - 07/18/05 01:45 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

MarkostheGnostic said:
You have no idea whatsoever what my beliefs are, since I've never imparted them to you. They do not belong to a "belief system" but are as unique as I am a unique human being. Uniqueness however is still built from universals, just like every snowflake is built from the same water molecules.

I ment Christianity in general, not your specific beliefs. My bad.

Quote:

MarkostheGnostic said:
You were never a "devout Christian" or you would be a devout Christian even now.

Heh, like I haven't already heard that. :tongue: I feel I was a 'true' believer in Christianity. I prayed almost every day and could 'see God working in my life.' Went on missions trips, had profound spiritual experiences, and read a lot of the Bible too.

Quote:

MarkostheGnostic said:
I Know other faiths intimately and they have melded into my unique grasp of Truth.

What leads you to believe you have found any Truth?

OfflineKairoAnnunaki
Stranger
    #4419569 - 07/18/05 03:07 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Oh yeah, sorry about that.

I am somewhat a true holder of Christianity. Not completely- but true enough in to I believe it in it's - well, purpose. I know it's the truth but then I am not to take all of it literally. Something as, "Knock on the door you shall receive", "And God Said let there be light".

I don't really believe he literally -spoke- it. I believe that he did much more than speak it. Something more powerful than speaking it. I think it was like.. an analogy maybe? Because it's text.. it's written by the human hand. And this is how we can only perceive it, right?

It is very possible that we evolved. But yet, that God is still there. Controlling the essence of every natural thing. And still, our human will is existent. Sure it may be a chemical function etc, but this is all programmed as if it were the Matrix as well!

I believe we evolved. I believe that the rib which was taken from Adam and given to Eve is a sign of evolution etc. Something .. SOMETHING. "And Cain went into the land of Nod and knew his wife". Really... really something.. something very deep which..

A brick of truth which was smashed up against the wall by human hands. Maybe. Or maybe we can only understand so much as to what God will allow us to see. We could have evolved. It is very possible. Science maybe have created the proof, with possible lies. But yet I still seek. No, I do believe God is there. But I also believe that evolution is also.

I use to say...

Without science, religion can't exist. Without religion science can not exist. They both depend on each other in one way or another, at times. Maybe not all the time. But because we are human, born into, yes, a sinful nature. We can only question. But then I have faith and hope still. But I will continue to question. Is my faith not good enough? I am suppose to seek God. But with positivity.

Christianity B.S.? I believe that if that is true. Then it is the human race which is B.S., because if such minds created such a book without the knowledge of a higher power... then we are B.S. and shouldn't accept nothing at all.

Rather that book itself states that we should seek.

InvisibleSinbad
Living TheMoment
Male

Loc: Under The Bodhi Tree
    #4419638 - 07/18/05 03:23 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

MarkostheGnostic said:

I Know other faiths intimately and they have melded into my unique grasp of Truth.

Attemtping to grasp at truth, is like trying to capture at space, its simply impossible, we need to let go, not increase our grapsing further Markos. Spiriutal ideas are not to be grasped at, like butter they will slip through your fingers.

--------------------

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

#4421210 - 07/18/05 10:01 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I've been alive long enough to develop some Wisdom, and the greatest Wisdom is Compassion. Compassion leads me to greater Wisdom, which is to say greater Compassion. Compassion has the most healing effect on life-forms from the insects that I routinely rescue from my pool, to the feral cats I've fed for years, to the human beings whom I try to serve compassionately in my profession. Such is Reality as I endeavor to experience it and Reality = Truth. BTW, one must be compassionate to oneself also, and to those who have hurt us (perhaps the greatest test of the depth of our Compassion).

--------------------

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Re: why christianity is bullshit [Re: Sinbad]
    #4421286 - 07/18/05 10:13 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I rather like to think of Knowing other faiths by slipping into them, like into a hot bath. One does not want to get scalded by the intensity of something that appears to be warm and inviting but is in reality something that one is ill-prepared for. Like learning a foreign language, immersion in the thought-forms is the way. I am not attempting to 'grasp' some tenet intellectually. If I set out to Know a faith, then I must 'grok' it with all my heart, soul and might. I must become it, not possess it.

So, quite right - I am 'in' space, not trying to grasp space. I've been a space cadet all my life BTW. I wish I could show you a picture of my favorite space helmet from childhood :smile:

--------------------

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #4422500 - 07/19/05 07:04 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I would love to see you in that helmet but I'm sure your head has outgrown it. :scaryshroom:

Just kidding Mark, I couldn't resist. :grin: I have much love for your big head and heart. :heart: :heart:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #4422503 - 07/19/05 07:05 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

MarkostheGnostic said:
I've been alive long enough to develop some Wisdom, and the greatest Wisdom is Compassion. Compassion leads me to greater Wisdom, which is to say greater Compassion. Compassion has the most healing effect on life-forms from the insects that I routinely rescue from my pool, to the feral cats I've fed for years, to the human beings whom I try to serve compassionately in my profession. Such is Reality as I endeavor to experience it and Reality = Truth. BTW, one must be compassionate to oneself also, and to those who have hurt us (perhaps the greatest test of the depth of our Compassion).

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Offlinemtw397
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: PA
Re: why christianity is bullshit [Re: Icelander]
    #4429651 - 07/20/05 05:57 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

i know seriously, i figured this out at 13, what the fuck is wrong with all these people.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale