Home | Community | Message Board

SoulSpeciosa Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineLimelight
IntrepidTraveler
Male

Where do thoughts come from? Hypnotising yourself. Other deep thoughts
    #4418681 - 07/18/05 01:27 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Believe it or not, I didn't think of this while under the influence of any drugs. I work at a factory for 12 hours a day to HELP pay for college; I don't know if you are familiar with the feeling of earplugs, but when you wear them, it makes everything somewhat surreal because doing the same repetitive thing for 12 hours, and only hearing the rush of blood in your ears is sort of trippy. It's like you are isolated from teh world to think about whatever you want, and you won't be bothered (as long as you dont get your hand sucked in the machine from spacing out :wink: )

Anyway, I think about a lot of 'deep' things at work, i guess you could say.
I was thinking about this, and im _positive_ someone else has already thought about it and made a thread about it numerous times in the history of the shroomery, but I guess I'm going to add another to the list.
I have another thought after this one, and I don't know if anyone else has tried what I did, but keep reading if you want to know. Please post your own thoughts along these lines. I like hearing other peoples thoughts so I can think about them at work :smile: It gets boring..

Ok, for the first thought. It struck me odd to think, where do thoughts come from.. At first, it seems obvious I suppose - they come from the input of your senses. If you see a woman fall, you will think to help her up. however, this isnt really what I'm referring to.
We have 'free will' with our thoughts, and we can think about whatever we want to. If you are bored at work, and you want to think of your first date with your girlfriend... then you will simply think of that first date and all is well. Likewise, if you want to think about a piece of toast, then BAM, you think about a piece of toast. Its obvious those thoughts come from some sort of desire/purpose to think about them. But where does THAT desire come from? what MAKES you want to htink about your date in the first place? Once that desire comes, its easy to think about it, but how does that FIRST thought of the thought-train pop into your head out of nowhere? It's like you can think about what you want, yet there is some element of control that you arent aware of.. The amazing thing is you go throughout your day, and you think the correct things all day. You think about work at work, you think about sports/games at home. But how do they FIRST get into your head.. its like they materialize out of your subconscious or something. There's 'something' there telling you to think about a piece of toast.. and then its YOUR job to physically think about the piece of toast (and somehow, that subconscious, or whatever it is, always chooses the correct thing to think about). But how does that first inclination to think appear out of nowhere, with no precedent, and it ends up being exactly what you wanted to think about. I realize this is pretty lame and like "duh..." .. but I assure you if you dont know what I'm talking about, the only thing to do is think about it a lot and hopefully it wlil hit you and you will be like OHHHHHHHHHHHH! I'm just not good at explaining things :blush:

Sorry too.. i missed the school lesson on brevity :wink:

now for the other thought. This was mainly a weird meditative thing i did i guess. Our bodies are made up of the mind which thinks, and the physical body which feels. When we think of our every day selves sober, its a collection of both. You have both memories and thoughts, and you also have your senses, like when you pick up a glass, you FEEL yourself picking up the glass. Well when I was at work, I concentrated on moving my 'ego' to strictly one or the other (my body or my mind) and not both.
So, when I moved it to my mind, i pictured all taht I think is me, inside my mind. Like I pictured my thoughts as simply the physical grey piece of brain sitting in my head and nothing more. the body around me is simply some sort of shell. Similar to a little man in the bridge (head) of a huge robot.
The other way was the most weird. I pictured all that i 'feel' as my body only, and i pictured the thoughts i'm expereincing as not my own, but my brains. Like _I'M_ the exoskeleton robot shell, surrounding my brain, but im not actually making those thoughts. i'm merely interacting and protecting that gray blob. The reason i "feel" these thoughts as my own, is because i'm directly linked to them through nerves and whatnot. So while i feel like they are mine.. they are really not.
I had to concentrate on that very hard, but when I got it... it hit me like a sack of bricks and it was kind of scary. I was at work, and as soon as i got it.. i felt like my own thoughts werent even mine, adn that i was being tricked. Suddenly, my entire body took over and i couldnt control what i was doing! Like if my brain wanted to.. it could have made me put my hand into the machine. Luckily I snapped out of it, but i have never hypnotised myself before...

anyway, im sure that was all terribly boring  :blush: I jsut try to explain it to some people and they look at me like im stupid. I'm hoping the shroomery, with their familiarity to one special ingrediant :mushroom2: , will have a little more understanding.

--------------------
"The worst mistake that you can make is to think you're alive when really you're asleep in life's waiting room."

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineHawkeye2
Resident TranceAddict

Re: Where do thoughts come from? Hypnotising yourself. Other deep thoughts [Re: Limelight]
    #4418706 - 07/18/05 01:37 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Concerning the thinking/feeling thing...it's a very interesting question.

Are we just simple a brain, and we send signals to this thing called a body to do our bidding? Or are we this big exoskeleton taking orders from this brain with it's own will and we're doing it's bidding? Trippy.

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Re: Where do thoughts come from? Hypnotising yourself. Other deep thoughts [Re: Limelight]
    #4418713 - 07/18/05 01:39 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I don't think we have free will. In fact, the very concept of free will is totally illogical.

If our minds work like machines, processing information, and causing us to think different things, then there is some ordered system to it, like a computer or a car engine. These things don't decide to function, they just do. If our mind isn't ordered like a machine, what then? Is there some kind of randomness in how our thoughts work? If this is so, that would not be free will either.

Free will is more like a sensation. We all feel like we're in control... but feeling something is not the same as that thing actually being true. Just because it seems like we have free will does not make it so.

I think our thoughts come from ourselves. Our brains are constantly processing information, sending out signals, and interpreting the world around us. Occasionally bits and pieces of information wander into the concious mind, and we think of them.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Community >> The Pub