Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinefirsttimer101
Stranger
Yield with poo *DELETED*
    #4417359 - 07/18/05 12:02 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Post deleted by firsttimer101

Reason for deletion: s

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineBlue Helix
bold hand
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Yield with poo [Re: firsttimer101]
    #4417371 - 07/18/05 12:05 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Poo is not particularly productive per pound, but it is relatively contamination resistant.

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Yield with poo [Re: Blue Helix]
    #4417507 - 07/18/05 12:42 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Blue Helix said:
Poo is not particularly productive per pound, but it is relatively contamination resistant.

I disagree.

H/poo is about as productive a substrate, as you can get, ranking only below a custom made compost.

If your spawn rate is 20 / 25%, the substrate is 1/4 grains. If you bump up the substrate with some sterilized sesame, mustard or rape seed (oil seeds) to increase lipid (fat/oil) content, add about 0.5% ground kelp (macro nutrients), you have a substrate - better than most.

It beats out cased grains, as it re-hydrates better than they do. After all - shrooms are 90% moisture.

It beats out cakes, straw alone, straw / worm casting combo & cow crap.

There isn't much else. What's better?

As for YEILD --> it is hard to beat - if everything is optimal.

--------------------

OfflineBlue Helix
bold hand
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #4417575 - 07/18/05 01:04 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Are you saying that a pound of dried horse manure produces as many mushrooms as a pound of WBS properly hydrated with vermiculite? I seriously doubt that. One thing is for certain, horse manure is less nutritious than most grains. That is easily proven by a quick look at the many nitrogen charts available for grains versus poo. For example, millet has roughly twice (about 2%) the nitrogen content of horse manure (about 1%).

The question is really how to get the full fruiting potential out of grain, but I think it is possible. Probably the best example of getting the most out of grain is by using brown rice flour as in the original PF technique; if you look at straight biological efficiency of that technique, it's really good. I think getting the most out of grain involves a lot of vermiculite to keep the grain hydrated during fruiting since typically it dehydrates so drastically after the first flush or two that it's worthless. Manure, on the other hand, tends to really stay hydrated much better even without vermiculite to help it out.

I guess that I would agree that manure is EASIER to get good biological efficiencies but grain probably has more potential if done right. In reality it's a bit of a moot point since few people really get anywhere near the real potential out of either.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Yield with poo [Re: Blue Helix]
    #4418261 - 07/18/05 08:20 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I dont know...I used to think grain could do more then poo. I dont think max potential was reached on either, but I think I'm at about the same level..1 quart of rye CAN get me 40 grams:

That same quart of rye mixed into 4 pounds of poo is about 5 times the total substrate (maybe four) but I have yet to get over 120 grams (only 3 times as much as the quart) on a casing that size.

Perhaps this is because my surface area from one casing to another is only doubled. Actually surface area was probably less because on the grain casings I got fruits from the bottom and sides as well as top, the poo I only get them from the top. It was difficult to get 40 grams too, only got that much twice, usually it was more like 30 for a real nice casing, 20-30 for more average ones, and less then that and I felt there was an issue.

It has seemed to me, per pound grain is better. My second and third flushes were drastically better with grain too, second flush often meeting or coming close to the first flush, sometimes exceeding it, and a good sized third flush and you could keep them around for another few flushes for a little more weight. Poo doesnt like to flush multiple times for me, 2nd flush is usually half of the first and 3rd is sparse with a few shrooms, each being 30-70 grams, but still..and then I dont even bother keeping beyond that cause I cant get anything else for it. But I've seen 4th flushes from agar that look like my 2nd flushes, and 1st flushes from him that I cant get to quite yet still...so I dont believe I've reached manures potential.

By the way BH, can you make sure you post a weight when you harvest in your other thread, per casing, I'm curious as to what you generally get on one of those tubs to see how I compare. Honestly I have a feeling yours is going better then mine will be going but I'm a few steps behind still so I dunno.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

OfflineBlue Helix
bold hand
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #4418469 - 07/18/05 09:58 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

By the way BH, can you make sure you post a weight when you harvest in your other thread, per casing, I'm curious as to what you generally get on one of those tubs to see how I compare. Honestly I have a feeling yours is going better then mine will be going but I'm a few steps behind still so I dunno.

I will do that. The actual pick/weigh will be later today.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags