Home | Community | Message Board

Kraken Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Agar, Coir, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleSuperD
Cacti junky
 User Gallery

Loc: The bridgesii bridge
Place casing outside to initiate pins? Been 3 weeks+
    #4417634 - 07/18/05 03:27 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

It's been over 3 weeks now since I cased 6 half pint grain cakes with 60/40 verm coir. Temp was dropped after about 3-4 days, and it's getting ambient light in the room. This has gone on for 3 straight weeks and I'm still not seeing any signs of pins. The myc is still ropy and looks healthy though.

Should I try placing the tub outside on the back porch with the lid over it to keep moisture in? That way it's getting natural temps it's used to and it will have more light.

Casing is at around 70ish temp right now.

--------------------
:super:D
Manoa said:
I need to stop spending all my money on plants and take up a cheaper hobby, like heroin. :lol:

Looking for Rauhocereus riosaniensis seeds or live specimen(s), :pm: me if you have any for trade

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinecamtech
Strangler
 User Gallery
Loc: Earth... currently
Re: Place casing outside to initiate pins? Been 3 weeks+ [Re: SuperD]
    #4417745 - 07/18/05 04:03 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I'd just wait it out, golden teachers seem to keep growing and growing rhizos before I see pins start... I always start to feel like something went wrong.
If you are fanning them enough and they get several hours of light a day then they should eventually pin. I'd wait it out, it's only been three weeks, as long as it looks healthy then you are doing fine.

OfflinekronnyQ
SuperstudExtraordinaire
 User Gallery

Loc: Anytown USA
Re: Place casing outside to initiate pins? Been 3 weeks+ [Re: SuperD]
    #4417806 - 07/18/05 04:42 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I would cold shock in the fridge for 24 hours, that always gets em goin.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Place casing outside to initiate pins? Been 3 weeks+ [Re: kronnyQ]
    #4418271 - 07/18/05 10:25 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

GT's did the same for me, to many rhizos and no pins forever.

Putting the chamber outside with the lid on isnt going to much for shit..temps are the smallest issue in growing, and 70's is fine which you say its at now, isnt it warmer outside for you? Warm here and not so great temps outside anyway.

If a cold shock didnt help you can place the casing either in your room, or outside, but with the lid OFF. You'll need to keep watch on it over the next 8-12 hours, a couple times check it and mist it which will keep up humidity. If its drying out, mist more, and if you cant keep it from drying out, put the lid back on. Any time without the lid on will expose the casing to more fresh air, more ambiant light, and allow for better heat disapation.

You do risk the casing catching a contaminate, but chances are if theres some spores in your room, they'll get in there anyway and you just have to hope the mycelium fights it off. So far I've done this with dozens and dozens of poo casings (cased poo will hold its moisture better open air) and havnt had one contam at that point yet.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

InvisibleSuperD
Cacti junky
 User Gallery

Loc: The bridgesii bridge
Re: Place casing outside to initiate pins? Been 3 weeks+ [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4418547 - 07/18/05 12:38 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks for all the replies, I'll try cold shocking and waiting it out then. I'm a very patient person but I guess I assumed I should have had pins in less than 3 weeks. BTW this is a local strain I picked from the wild. inoculated from homemade syringe without agar work or anything, and got no contams. Colonization took forever, even at optimal temps so maybe it's just this particular slow growing strain where I live.

--------------------
:super:D
Manoa said:
I need to stop spending all my money on plants and take up a cheaper hobby, like heroin. :lol:

Looking for Rauhocereus riosaniensis seeds or live specimen(s), :pm: me if you have any for trade

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Agar, Coir, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation