Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Science and Technology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineRuNE
bomberman

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: tartarus
Windows explorer wont open and other probs...
    #4415253 - 07/17/05 05:12 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Like the title, as soon as i click on Windows explorer/My Computer, the PC just searches forever for my drives (you know, with the little flashlight over the folder animation for minutes on end). 

Also, IE will open, but the address bar wont work.  The google search bar does, and links from the results show up.  In fact, if i can get a page open thru Word or something, i can browse thru the links.  But i cannot type addresses in, it searches without end.

I've run a full scan with Ad-Aware.  No virus scans as of yet, but i think it has to do with settings rather than a virus. Not sure tho.

This is my mothers PC and she's half crying over it.

Help my mom!    :crazy:

(i dont have a lot of access to this PC so i hope i have a few things to try when i get a chance.)

:sun:

--------------------
~Happy sailing~

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleLe_Canard
Danger Man

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
Re: Windows explorer wont open and other probs... [Re: RuNE]
    #4415635 - 07/17/05 06:25 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Sounds like some major problems. Perhaps your mom deleted a few files she shouldn't have, as explorer is a very important system file. Try pointing it to "explorer.exe" located in the windows directory when it does that next time. Other than that, the only other thing I know to do is a re-install....

Invisiblerod
Ψ
 User Gallery

#4415675 - 07/17/05 06:32 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

What Os are you running? 98- xp? If xp you can do a restore to a few days ago, when it was ok if you can open links heres a link for microsoft
http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-us

InvisibleLe_Canard
Danger Man

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
Re: Windows explorer wont open and other probs... [Re: rod]
    #4415758 - 07/17/05 06:45 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Ah yes. I forgot about the system restore feature on XP, that is, if that's what OS it's running.  :crazy:

Offlinebrowndustin
dustybuddy

Re: Windows explorer wont open and other probs... [Re: Le_Canard]
    #4416492 - 07/17/05 10:28 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Start > Run > 'winver' - type that in to figure out which version of windows. And also consider the following: SYSTEM RESTORE SUCKS. Don't use system restore, it'll probably make things worse.

In situations like this, do the general spyware and virus cleanup using some free tools. I find that in 95% of the instances I run into, this is what caused the problem. Either that, or end-user stupidity. Accidentally uninstalling something, purging seemingly useless files and/or folders, etc.

If not, post some more specific details. Err, I actually see that you've ran adaware. Run spybot. It's crappy in some areas, but in others it cleans things up.

I ran avg on an older computer and found some fucking viruses. One was like de.dll or something stupid, but it really fucked my computer over. Only avg detected it too... odd. But it solved a hell of a lot of problems. First virus I've ever had (That at least gave me noticeable hardships), but it was a computer that was rarely used in my household. So ya never know..

--------------------
When the stress burns my brain it's like acid raindrops
maryjane is the only thing that makes the pain stop

Offlinenugsarenice
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: nowhere
    #4416635 - 07/17/05 11:08 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I don't really understand what is happening with your computer. I hope your not running 95. If your running xp, reboot your computer in safe mode with command prompt, and the then press the ctrl alt del 'function' together. From there you can run msconfig, try diabling alot of all that unneccessary crap that is thrown in with microsoft. disable all startup, and then from the list of functions before that , disable all the non microsoft functions, then selectively disable all the things that are crap, such as remote desktop functions, and other things you know you don't use, computer to computer applications. If this don't solve it, I'd reccomend a reinstall.

OfflineRuNE
bomberman

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: tartarus
Re: Windows explorer wont open and other probs... [Re: browndustin]
    #4418136 - 07/18/05 08:54 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

The computer is running XP (pro i beleive).

Thank you for the suggestions, i'll try them.
I doubt she deleted any system files. Its a possibility, but she mainly just uses IE and MS word.

I have a feeling the computer is trying to find a network drive or something like that. I dunno.

dustin: i'm suprised you dont like restore. it's saved my ass a few times. BTW, the de.dll (and/or se.dll) is CWS. The most notorious browser hijacker. Reinstalls itself with a hidden dll (new random file generated each time you delete it). It's so insanely hard to remove, i came up with a 'fix' of my own. Instead of letting ad-aware delete the files, i did the following:
HijackThis > delete file on boot: se.dll de.dll and the 'random' dll in the sys32 folder that shows up under a HJT scan. (you'll learn to recognize it). On next boot, recreate ALL the files with the same names using an empty txt file. Make all files read only.
Result: you fool the virus thinking its installed. When infact the trojan does nothing.

Sorry, bit off topic.
Any more ideas before i go there? I'm sure i'll be getting a call today asking me to come over. ach.

--------------------
~Happy sailing~

Offlinedrtyfrnk
PresidentialCandidate 2008
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ontario, Canada
    #4418674 - 07/18/05 01:25 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/wiadelay.htm

For the address bar, have you tried right clicking next to where it says help and click on address bar? If that's checked, uninstall and reinstall IE through add/remove windows components. (Start -> CP -> Add/remove programs -> Add remove windows components)

--------------------
It's Krang, Bitch!  :krang:

Edited by drtyfrnk (07/18/05 01:27 PM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Science and Technology