Home | Community | Message Board

RVF Garden Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineRealnuggetz
Just a friend of the family
Male User Gallery

Loc: San Francisco bay area
Popcorn Jar growing
    #4415096 - 07/17/05 04:36 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I have a few fully colonised popcorn jars, but no casing materials or money to buy and. I have a lil bit of verm. Could I just open the jar, wrap foil around the jar and put some verm on top, and throw it in a fruiting container? Would it even be worth it? I dont know how good corn is for fruiting.

--------------------
Nothin left to do but smile smile smile
ASK ME! about wholesale parcels of raw stones, gems, ect! Deals for the homies here! Also ask me about legal nationwide cbd cancer medicine. My moms friend, a doctor, just moved his whole family to colorado, so his epileptic son could get this tincture, and flies to GA, every week for work, when he could have used this, just in fear of losing his medical license there!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineSmallworlds
Trippin' fool -Merry Prankster

Re: Popcorn Jar growing [Re: Realnuggetz]
    #4415174 - 07/17/05 04:56 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Rubbermaids are like 2 dollars, and a bag of verm is like 3 dollars.

Go to McDonalds, tell someone you wish you had a sandwich, then take the $5 they give you and hitchhike to Walmart, buy above mentioned items, then hitchhike back home and get started.

--------------------
Through the excercise of patience, one may learn humility..

Smoke plenty of green, and eat fungus!!!!
:peace::heart::slomo::gd_icon::gd_icon::gd_icon::slomo:

Trip Report

OfflineRealnuggetz
Just a friend of the family
Male User Gallery

Loc: San Francisco bay area
Re: Popcorn Jar growing [Re: Smallworlds]
    #4415200 - 07/17/05 05:01 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

So, popcorn does have enough nutes to fruit off of if I case it? I always read that it was best used to spawn to poo, but I dont have any poo right now.

--------------------
Nothin left to do but smile smile smile
ASK ME! about wholesale parcels of raw stones, gems, ect! Deals for the homies here! Also ask me about legal nationwide cbd cancer medicine. My moms friend, a doctor, just moved his whole family to colorado, so his epileptic son could get this tincture, and flies to GA, every week for work, when he could have used this, just in fear of losing his medical license there!

OfflineSmallworlds
Trippin' fool -Merry Prankster

#4415234 - 07/17/05 05:09 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

It would make sense to me that something which supports mycelium would also support fruitbodies, though I'm new at this whole thing so I can't answer that.

I was simply saying don't let a lack of a few dollars stop you from getting something done. Borrow 10 bucks from someone or something.

--------------------
Through the excercise of patience, one may learn humility..

Smoke plenty of green, and eat fungus!!!!
:peace::heart::slomo::gd_icon::gd_icon::gd_icon::slomo:

Trip Report

Invisibledeanofmean
mycophagous

Loc: PNW
    #4415339 - 07/17/05 05:27 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Realnuggetz said:
I always read that it was best used to spawn to poo, but I dont have any poo right now.

this is true. it works mush better as spawn.
if you can't do the poo, at least get some straw.
or use it for g2g to some millet or finch seed.
G/L the meanman

OfflineShr00minator
Stranger

Re: Popcorn Jar growing [Re: deanofmean]
    #4416137 - 07/17/05 08:34 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I attempted to use popcorn as a substrate and out of 12 jars I only have one showing mycelium after about a month. There are no contams in any of the jars. I followed the tek exactly but now im wondering what could have gone wrong. Is there a specific kind of popcorn youre supposed to use? Maybe mine lacked a few nutrients. And I agree with small worlds, you can easily get 5 bucks from someone or something, just be glad you were able to get your jars to fully colonize, im gonna start my third attempt using wbs and see how that goes.

OfflineFungi_x
Original Shroomer
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Michigan Flag
Re: Popcorn Jar growing [Re: Shr00minator]
    #4416302 - 07/17/05 09:37 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I also followed the tek 100% and had shitty results. i came to the conclusion that my popcorn was to dry. I have seen great successes with popcorn so i was not going to give up and im glad I dident :wink:

Since my first batch was to dry I figured all I had to do was simmer longer. I simmered untill like 85% of the corn was bursted open. It took about two and a half hours for me to get it here.

Well the same day I made up some WBS jars. The POPcorn jars are all 100% colonized and most of the WBS jars are going to need about 4 - 5 more days.

--------------------

HAPPY FUCKING HOLIDAYS!

InvisibleFooManM
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Earth Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #4416608 - 07/17/05 11:03 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Realnuggetz said:
I have a few fully colonised popcorn jars, but no casing materials or money to buy and. I have a lil bit of verm. Could I just open the jar, wrap foil around the jar and put some verm on top, and throw it in a fruiting container? Would it even be worth it? I dont know how good corn is for fruiting.

I've tried popcorn cased by itself and it doesn't seem to fruit as good as wbs and other substrates I've tried unless I use a lot of it. The good thing about using popcorn is that it seems like you can leave it for a pretty decent amount of time in the jar before it dries up or goes bad. I left a couple of fully colonized popcorn jars laying around for 2 months and had no problem spawning them to some poo with great results. Another jar from that same batch actually had some fruits growing right in the jar. So basically my point is that you don't need to rush into casing those jars just yet unless you really want/need to. If you are in a rush, your idea of topping them off with verm will probably work out OK. Be careful not to keep that casing too moist though because the extra water will begin puddling up on the bottom of the jar.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation