Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineCaseyHook
Arkanshroom
 User Gallery
Loc: Arkansas, United States
Sparassis Radicata?
    #4415090 - 07/17/05 04:32 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

I went looking in the woods today, and found lots of Amanitas, Boletes, all sizes and shapes, etc. But then I ran across a large colony of these:

Thats just a picture of some of them sitting on my desk next to my computer. I've got quite a bit more, and I left alot so that in the event they are Sparassis Radicata, I can go back and keep picking. They were found in the woods in Arkansas. When I picked them, it felt like they had a pretty good hold on the leaves or wood or whatever they were growing from. I'm not sure how to spore print something of this nature, so any more information needed, please ask. I'm hoping I can cook em!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: Sparassis Radicata? [Re: CaseyHook]
    #4418714 - 07/18/05 01:39 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

If you're in Arkansas they're pretty certainly not Sparassis radicata. That species occurs primarily west of the Rocky Mountains. It is also identifiable by having a rooting base an inch or two thick.

There is considerable confusion over the correct species names for these mushrooms. According to Alan Bessette the species you appear to have found is Sparassis spathulata. The appearance is correct. They should be over 6 inches across and growing from wood, along with what is visible in your photo. If all that agrees then you have found the Eastern Cauliflower Mushroom (the common name is in more agreement than the scientific one on these). All sources agree that they are choice edibles.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflineBetaDelta
Stranger
Male
Re: Sparassis Radicata? [Re: ToxicMan]
    #4418727 - 07/18/05 01:42 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Ya know, the other day, I almost forgot about it until I saw that photo, btw the only mushroom I've seen around here, looked alot like that except for the fact that it was a dark brown to deep red. It's very hard to describe except that it resembles the photo except for the color. I wasn't going to consume it, but it was very interesting from a mycological aspect. I'll go take a picture and post it soon.
Take care

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification