Home | Community | Message Board

Fairy Ring Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
found mushrooms im front yard
    #4413921 - 07/17/05 03:50 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

i just a couple diffrent mushrooms in my front yard. they were all growing in my mulch.the first ones are about an inch to two inches tall the steams are real skinny the cap is like a bluesh grey color. the top of the cap has like a brown nipple, they seem real thin. on to the next ones. these ones are 2 to 3 inches tall and brown. the stem is about the size of a phone cord. the cap is bwon and wavy and towrs the edge of the cap its black like its been damged. the last ones if only found about ten of them there about and inch tall. the cap is like closed around the stem and is knda blueish grey. more blue then the first ones. id ont know any thing about shrooms ive ate them like 5 times. loved it each time. any help would help me. i live in ohio and its been raining alot the past couple days.if any of these sound close ican give you better detail. also what kinda shrooms should i look for in my mulch that i would trip off of. thanks

soryy if i sound like an idiot

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Finder of thesubbs

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
Re: found mushrooms im front yard [Re: caspercaps]
    #4414221 - 07/17/05 10:43 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

You ate them like 5 times? 0_o... Well at least you're still alive.

The most common thing I see growing around the mulch in here (in Ohio) are all just different kinds of inky caps (Coprinus). If the mushrooms shrivel up within the same day, they are pretty much for sure inky caps. Pictures would be very awesome to help here.

As for what kind of mushrooms to look for in the mulch? Well, you may find some psilocybe caerulipes, but those aren't really that common and can be hard to identify. I think I have heard of subbs growing in mulch on rare occasions, but overall I would say just stay away from looking in the mulch for actives. Generally when you are hunting in Ohio, you are hunting for pan subbs unless you know what you are doing pretty well. Panaeolus subbalteatus just love horse dung, but can also be found in lawns and compost heaps and such. Just let it be known that the ones growing in the grass are pretty easy to confuse with Panaeolus foenisecii, which grow much more commonly in the lawn than the subbs will. If you want to look for subbs in the grass, make sure you check areas that have grass that is taken care of very well, and if it is watered every day or so.

Last, but certainly not least, check through the site. Searching in the hunting forums for Ohio will result in some interesting information on hunting in Ohio. The sticky FAQ thread has links to many great hunting guides, which will tell you what active species grow in Ohio, when they grow, where they grow, and more. Basically, everything you need is there. Check it out, it helps a ton.

Radio is down for a day or two to transfer all my music, and do some other work.

"Light, coming from my mind. We are one, the night has just begun"

Re: found mushrooms im front yard [Re: Ramuh]
    #4414445 - 07/17/05 12:56 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I think your right cuz the mushrooms are gone today, (i found them last night). i didnt eat any of the ones i found.

thanks for the help

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification