Home | Community | Message Board

Crestline Sales - MycoPath
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Culinary Arts, Gardening and Brewing

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Dehydrator

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinephreedom420
Stranger
Hiking / Backpacking food suggestions needed
    #4413415 - 07/17/05 01:22 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I'm planning my thru-hike on the AT (next year) and I'm trying to get some of my food options set up. Ideally I'd like to have a mixture of pre-made food being mailed to me at certain points and grocery shopping. I'm wondering what all I could pre-make and vacuum seal for shipping later. I think that dessicated fruits and veggies would be great, either by themselves or mixed with, say, Ramen noodles or pasta or oatmeal. I'm wondering if I could prepare soups, cool them, vacuum seal them in foodsaver bags and have them shipped to me. If I froze them as I made them throughout the winter, I could have my backup person just toss one in, wrapped in newspaper to catch the condensation, the box of food that they'd send me for the week. I could get the soup, most likely thawed by now, put the foodsaver bag in some boiling water, cut it open and have great, homemade soup! Any suggestions on how to make regular food lighter and able to be stored without freezings would be great. I'm thinking that I need to start dehydrating things here soon so I'l have enough to last.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleDragonaut
Fire Marshall

Loc: Burn Ward
Re: Hiking / Backpacking food suggestions needed [Re: phreedom420]
    #4413688 - 07/17/05 02:33 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

trail mix :lol:

--------------------
:dragon: See all my Favorite Threads (lots of info)

:alert: ATTENTION NOOBS: ASK ALL YOUR CULTIVATION QUESTIONS HERE :alert:

buy my impulse and vacuum sealers  :pm: <--click

OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site
Re: Hiking / Backpacking food suggestions needed [Re: Dragonaut]
    #4413875 - 07/17/05 03:28 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

cup o noodles work even with cold water. and they taste like plastic but if u bring ganja, even dirt is edible.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
    #4416081 - 07/17/05 08:13 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

During the hike - figure you will need around 4,000 calories per day to NOT lose a ton of weight. (that's if you weigh 160 and are hiking about 10 miles a day) And 1 gallon of water per day. (Invest in a quality water filter) Figure that about 70% of your diet should consist of things from the 'grain' category.

* Dehydrate as much fruit as possible (apples, strawberries, pineapple, apricots, tomato, etc) You can bring some fresh food.. but it weighs a lot.

* Don't bring any cans or glass.. Anything in a box take out and put in plastic bags. Repackage everything to save space. Also the plastic bags are useful once empty for trash etc.

* Steal those little condiment packets from fast food places

* Trail mix (GORP) - make your own - almonds, walnuts, peanuts, raisins, dried fruit of choice, m&ms - essential high protein/sugar/fat/essential oils snack

* Dont forget to bring little canisters of salt, pepper, garlic, basil.. and some brown sugar

* Veggies can last a while in brown paper bags.. fresh produce will usually last about a week. Onions and garlic will last a long long time. Anything you want for a while, dehydrate.

* "Heavy" whole grains - like whole wheat crackers, flat bread, etc. Skip the white bread, or anything made with white flour - very little nutrition

Ideas for meals:

Breakfast - oatmeal, grape nuts, granola, fruit

Snack - GORP, Cliff Bars

Lunch (twice a day..)- whole wheat tortillas with peanut butter, honey and granola on them - or crackers, bagels, cream cheese. Sometimes energy bars, fig newtons, nuts and raisins. Also snak mix - granola, cereal, pretzel mix or "corn-shew mix" )crushed corn tortilla chips, corn nuts and cashews - vary the flavors.

Dinner - pasta meals, quick cook rice meals (brown or wild rice is best.. dont bring white.. hardly any nutrients), mac & cheese, couscous and ramen noodles - add instant mashed potatoes to bulk up dinners.

- cheese adds calories, protein and calcium.. cut a chunk from a blok of cheddar and wrap it with something breathable as cheese sweats. The best are cheddar or parmesan, they keep fairly well.

- chocolate is a good supplement to boost fat/calories

- bring a couple freeze-dried meals as backups

- DO NOT bring soup.. unless it's just-add-water. Pre-made soup in your pack would weigh a ton.

So if you need around 4,000 calories a day.. that's about 1.5 pounds of food per day. Can get pretty damn heavy.. so best to have things shipped to you at places along the trail at timed intervals. Figure carrying 5-7 days of food at a time. You can ship them to yourself, and the places will hold them for you.

--------------------

Offlineummikko
sika joka eilenn? on pelkk?sika

Loc: Finland
    #4433799 - 07/21/05 04:24 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Dried meat.

Dry in an oven at ~80 degrees celsius for 6 hours or so (Put some tissue paper under it to absorb the fat). Minced meat is easiest. Salt it before you put it in the oven.

--------------------
"All substances are poisons; there is none which is not a poison. The right dose differentiates a poison and a remedy." -Paracelsius

Offlinearchetypal
Stranger
Re: Hiking / Backpacking food suggestions needed [Re: ummikko]
    #4434802 - 07/21/05 07:50 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Great advice... BWCA in three weeks

Oddly enough, route is planned with permits. the drugs have been collected, all that is left is FOOD

Offlinearchetypal
Stranger
Re: Hiking / Backpacking food suggestions needed [Re: archetypal]
    #4435132 - 07/21/05 09:07 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

and I can attest to how well mailing food to yourself works...
Most outfitters or recreation type stores will hold a box for you if you ask them.
after talking to them, mail a shoe box to their address with your name on it, with care of (c/o) and their name...

Offlineummikko
sika joka eilenn? on pelkk?sika

Loc: Finland
    #4437106 - 07/22/05 08:33 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

milk powder. For coffee and cooking.

--------------------
"All substances are poisons; there is none which is not a poison. The right dose differentiates a poison and a remedy." -Paracelsius

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Dehydrator

General Interest >> Culinary Arts, Gardening and Brewing