Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinetamu
photon rider
cubensis northern limit?
    #4413197 - 07/17/05 12:06 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Howdy folks....

I recently moved to the Raleigh/Durham area of North Carolina. I would like to go on a cubensis hunt, but I have read here on the shroomery that the cubes don't hang much above the 35th parallel and I seem to be around the 36th.

Can anybody tell me if it is worth my while to spend time looking in this area? Also, if anybody has any specific pointers on doing a cube hunt it would be greatly appreciated. For instance, is it really a sensible thing to ask the permission of a farmer? All my hunting was done in Seattle when I lived there, and I was able to just stroll through the city parks and find cyanescens growing on the wood mulch. Didn't have to worry about farmers, or bulls, etc.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

T

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleLouiseLouise
starstruck
Male User Gallery

Loc: Searching w/my good eye c...
Trusted Identifier
Re: cubensis northern limit? [Re: tamu]
    #4413270 - 07/17/05 12:31 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Welcome to the shroomery, tamu,
What you ask is a good question. Yeah, it's a little different having cows chase you! I'm still amazed at how I was runnin from those guys :lol: I think other hunters must mistreat them. I'm here to tell you, it doesn't have to be a bull!
I carry field glasses, I count the cows and I'm looking between everyones legs! I spend as much time watching the cows as I do looking for mushrooms.
It's never a waste of time to go looking, you might be surprised.
I strongly suggest knocking on doors & keeping a mixed bag. Tresspassing is tough enough without having to fight a possession charge. They got to prove your doing something illegal, right?
I also strongly suggest respecting other peoples' property.
Good luck :mushroom2:

--------------------
"That's why you get in close to them, and then take the picture!! Don't be a pussy!" ~CC

Offlinetamu
photon rider
Re: cubensis northern limit? [Re: LouiseLouise]
    #4415001 - 07/17/05 03:51 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Hey LL...

Thanks for the reply. That is an excellent point about keeping a mixed bag...I assume you mean keep some other mushrooms in the bag besides the cubies?

It seems you must have experience with knocking on landowner's doors. What do you find the average response is? Would you advise phrasing my request a certain way? Should I just be totally honest about what I am looking for? Or should I just say that I want to go mushroom hunting in general? Also, I remember hearing something about farmers using chemicals on their land that would end up being inside the flesh of the mushroom. Any truth to that? I will definitely respect people's property, it is my nature to do so.

How about anybody else with info on the Raleigh/Durham area....can anybody just confirm that the cubies pop their lovely little heads out of the local turds around here?

T

OfflineChiefess
ExperiencedToker / AmateurMushroom Hunter

Re: cubensis northern limit? [Re: tamu]
    #4415528 - 07/17/05 06:06 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

i live west of Raleigh and though i have only found subbs in this area, i do know a few people who have found cubes (i spend most of my time in horse fields anyway). cubes are certainly not abundant here, but not rare either. however, i spend my time looking for subbs as they are easy to find and i only have horse fields around my location.
good luck!

--------------------
Been Tokin'!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification