Home | Community | Message Board

Shroom Supply
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Rolling Stones

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisiblelooner2
ABBA fan

Crazy Chinese general
    #4412830 - 07/16/05 10:21 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/asiapcf/07/14/china.taiwan.nuclear.reut/index.html

BEIJING, China (Reuters) -- A senior Chinese general has warned that China was ready to use nuclear weapons against the United States if Washington attacked his country over Taiwan, the Financial Times newspaper reported on Friday.

Zhu Chenghu, a major general in the People's Liberation Army who said he was expressing his own views and did not anticipate a conflict with Washington, nevertheless said China would have no option but to go nuclear in the event of an attack.

"If the Americans draw their missiles and position-guided ammunition onto the target zone on China's territory, I think we will have to respond with nuclear weapons," he told an official briefing for international journalists.

A spokeswoman for China's Foreign Ministry noted that the general had said in the article he was not speaking on behalf of the government. A spokesman later said the ministry was looking into the matter.

The Defense Ministry declined to comment, saying the Foreign Ministry had organized the event at which the general spoke.

Beijing considers Taiwan part of China, and has vowed to bring the self-governed democracy back into the fold. In March, China's parliament passed an anti-secession law authorizing the use of "non-peaceful means" to do so.

Zhu said the threat to escalate a conflict might be the only way to stop one because China did not have the capability to fight a conventional war with the United States.

"If the Americans are determined to interfere ... we will be determined to respond," he said.

"We Chinese will prepare ourselves for the destruction of all of the cities east of Xian. Of course the Americans will have to be prepared that hundreds ... of cities will be destroyed by the Chinese," he added.

China first tested a nuclear bomb in 1964. It has declared a policy of not using such weapons unless it has already suffered nuclear attack.

The newspaper observed that it was unclear what prompted the remarks, but noted that they were the most specific by a senior Chinese official in nearly a decade.

During a visit to Beijing earlier this month U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice said there should be no unilateral change in the status quo over the disputed island of Taiwan.

"That means that we don't support unilateral moves toward independence by Taiwan. It also means that we are concerned about the military balance, and we'll say to China that they should do nothing militarily to provoke Taiwan," she added.

Nevermind the rogue general. Is defense of Taiwan in our (U.S) interest? The spread of communism is non-existent, as even the largest communist country is moving towards a capitalist system. The domino-effect seems silly when applied to this situation, and if China did swallow up Taiwan with no interference from the rest of the world would it effect anything besides Taiwan and China? It seems to me that the Bush administration is hanging on to some out-dated policy with this one, time to revamp the thinking caps to assess the emergence of the new global powers and their threats.

--------------------
I am in love with Acidic_Sloth

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleniteowl
GrandPaw
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Crazy Chinese general [Re: looner2]
    #4413236 - 07/17/05 12:18 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Look at what Iraq tried to do to Kuwait.

Look at what our response to that was.

If Taiwan were to ask us for assistance(if China tries to take over)........why wouldn't the General expect U.S. intervention???

That is fairly rational thinking on his part if you ask me :shrug:

InvisibleDieCommie
Re: Crazy Chinese general [Re: niteowl]
    #4413281 - 07/17/05 12:34 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Expecting US intervention is rational.

Nuking hundreds of US cities is not.

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #4413492 - 07/17/05 01:46 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Old news. It is pretty much a given that WWIII would start if the US backed Taiwan's want for independence, let alone attacking them over Taiwan.

Invisibleniteowl
GrandPaw
Male User Gallery

Re: Crazy Chinese general [Re: DieCommie]
    #4413542 - 07/17/05 01:58 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

DieCommie said:

Where did he say that he would "nuke hundreds US cities"?

OfflineJesusChrist
Son Of God
Re: Crazy Chinese general [Re: Redstorm]
    #4413585 - 07/17/05 02:08 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Taiwan has been independent for decades. They are living proof that freedom and democracy can liberate people and raise the standards of living of everyone. Taiwan is an incredible country, an industrious country and an economic tiger.

Taiwan is the only country not allowed in the United Nations. The United States of America does not officially support Taiwan joining the United Nations. We stopped officially recognizing Taiwan as a country in the 1970s.

If our mission is freedom and democracy, Taiwan has left a glaring "crediblity gap" in our foriegn policy.

That said, we do everything we can to make sure the Chinese don't take them by force. We have been walking a tight line for decades, and at some point this issue will come to head.

I want to know what the peaceniks think on this board. What if China invades Taiwan? What do we do?

In my opinion, I think we should have always recognized Taiwan as a nation, but it is too late to do that now. Right now the tight line that we walk is the best option. No need to piss the Chinese off for no reason and demand that they recognize Taiwan as a nation.

And most if not all Taiwanese consider themselves Chinese. They just consider themselves FREE Chinese! They just want to be free.

With or without us, the Taiwanese would fight China if they decided to invade. Without us they would get slaughtered. With us we all might start World War Three.

The best bet right now is to use diplomacy to put it off as long as posssible. But if China forces the issue, we will have to make a decision. What should that decision be?

--------------------
Tastes just like chicken

Invisibleniteowl
GrandPaw
Male User Gallery

Re: Crazy Chinese general [Re: JesusChrist]
    #4413609 - 07/17/05 02:12 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Sit back and watch.

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #4413611 - 07/17/05 02:13 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

If China attacks Taiwan, it would be insane to defend Taiwan.

OfflineJesusChrist
Son Of God
    #4413715 - 07/17/05 02:40 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Insane? Taiwan is one of the most prosporous countries on this earth. What if China decided that they wanted North and South Korea as well? Would it be insane to oppose them? Where do you stop? Do you only make an exception for the Taiwanese? If you do, why do you?

--------------------
Tastes just like chicken

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #4413726 - 07/17/05 02:43 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I say give them Taiwan, b/c it will appease them. They know we most likely wouldn't stand up against them if they tried, so they would be more likely to do it. On the other hand, China knows that both the UN and the US would defend the Koreas if China tried anything there. China may be big and crazy, but they know better than to violate the sovereignty of a recognized country.

OfflineJesusChrist
Son Of God
    #4413775 - 07/17/05 02:52 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

You are nuts. Both us and the UN? We are the UN. How many times has the UN taken military action without the United States of America? If China took Korea the UN wouldn't do anything, because they have veto power in the UN. The UN has nothing to do with it. Taiwan can't join the UN because China has veto power in the UN and America officially opposes it.

And you may be wrong about us defending Taiwan. I would think that it would be quite likely that we would help the Taiwanese. In fact, that is the only reason that we have a fucking Taiwan. Geesh.

It is a bad situation if China invades Taiwan. Appeasement did a great job on Hitler though, I will give you that.

--------------------
Tastes just like chicken

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #4413799 - 07/17/05 02:59 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

There's quite a difference between the appeasement of Hitler and handing Taiwan over to China.

Shit, I think China taking Taiwan would be a terrible thing and I myself am one of the staunchest supporters of Taiwan's recongnized independence you'll ever find. In the broad scope of things, though, I don't think a war with China is what we want at this point. That is, unless you'd want to join me in the new draft that would have to be created.

OfflineJesusChrist
Son Of God
    #4413848 - 07/17/05 03:15 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

So you think Hitler was out of bounds. It may well be.

China take Taiwan, and we do nothing because a war with China is the last thing that we want. So if China then took North Korea, we still wouldn't do anything, because war with China is the last thing that we want.

Newsflash: War is always the last thing that we want. War with China is the last thing that we want. But most importantly:

Quote:

YOU CANT ALWAYS GET WHAT YOU WANT - Mick Jagger

--------------------
Tastes just like chicken

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
    #4413849 - 07/17/05 03:16 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

America should give itself, and Wal-Mart a big fat pat on the back for handing all those billions of dollars to China so that they can bury us with our own money.

That said, I think we should just nuke Taiwan.

That would really confuse them.

--------------------

OfflineJesusChrist
Son Of God
Re: Crazy Chinese general [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #4413870 - 07/17/05 03:25 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Nuke Taiwan and Philadelphia at the same time while declaring war on Belize. Then they we will know we are crazy fuckers and respect our ground. Nixon used to have a "madman theory". He wanted the Ruskies and Red Chinese to believe that he was truely a madman that could nuke the world if provoked. Even after the US Congress cut off all aid to South Vietnam after the Church amendment, the Commies wouldn't dare attack the free South Vietnamese until after Nixon left office. They knew he was unpredictable and he scared the pants off of them. Maybe nuking Taiwan is just what we need.

--------------------
Tastes just like chicken

Invisibleblacksabbathrulz
 User Gallery
    #4413890 - 07/17/05 03:35 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I think if China dropped a single nuke on us, they'd be fucked, simply because there would be a worldwide backlash against China, and they'd be nuked back to the stone age.

--------------------

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: Crazy Chinese general [Re: DieCommie]
    #4414156 - 07/17/05 09:22 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

But nuking two Japanese cities was a model of rationality, no?

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Invisiblelooner2
ABBA fan

Re: Crazy Chinese general [Re: Swami]
    #4414208 - 07/17/05 10:24 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Swami said:

I don't know about a model of rationality, as war with Japan wasn't Philosophy 101.

It had to be done though, thats for sure.

--------------------
I am in love with Acidic_Sloth

OfflineSmallworlds
Trippin' fool -Merry Prankster

Re: Crazy Chinese general [Re: niteowl]
    #4414282 - 07/17/05 11:36 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

niteowl said:
Quote:

DieCommie said:

Where did he say that he would "nuke hundreds US cities"?

"We Chinese will prepare ourselves for the destruction of all of the cities east of Xian. Of course the Americans will have to be prepared that hundreds ... of cities will be destroyed by the Chinese," he added.

--------------------
Through the excercise of patience, one may learn humility..

Smoke plenty of green, and eat fungus!!!!
:peace::heart::slomo::gd_icon::gd_icon::gd_icon::slomo:

Trip Report

InvisibleKrishna
कृष्ण,LOL
 User Gallery

Loc: oakland
    #4414309 - 07/17/05 11:57 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

looner2 said:
Quote:

Swami said:

I don't know about a model of rationality, as war with Japan wasn't Philosophy 101.

It had to be done though, thats for sure.

ha! it's official - you have no freaking clue what you are talking about! seriously, do some research into the events leading up to the nuking of japan - it had next-to-nothing to do with WWII, and everything to do with flexing muscle to the Soviet Union (since the war was already basically over, or would have been in a matter of months, we already had to stragetically plan against our new enemy)

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop for: Rolling Stones

General Interest >> Political Discussion