Home | Community | Message Board

Azarius
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Culinary Arts, Gardening and Brewing

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinemattymonkey
Feel Like aStranger...
 User Gallery

Honey
    #4412714 - 07/16/05 09:37 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

So what do you guys think.. I love Honey, but can you eat too much? I go back and forth a lot, from eating many spoonfuls a day, to not having it for weeks.. I hear so many stories about people living on just honey, or living for over 100 years with a heavy diet of bee products.. it seems like a magical food filled with nutrients and awesome stuff for your body, but can it be over done? where does the balance come in? has anyone else heard of these stories? What are your all thoughts on honey... mmm.....

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
Re: Honey [Re: mattymonkey]
    #4412765 - 07/16/05 10:00 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Well, like anything.. excess can be too much. Everything in moderation.. but I don't think it would harm you..

Raw honey is better for you too

--------------------

Offlinemattymonkey
Feel Like aStranger...
 User Gallery

Re: Honey [Re: Shroomism]
    #4412775 - 07/16/05 10:04 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

of course.. only the raw honey.. when it crystalizes it just seems like a food to me, a super food!

moderation seems to be key, wish i had learned it when i was younger!

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
    #4413139 - 07/16/05 11:50 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

thought you might enjoy this

Quote:

...Honey is a powerhouse of nutrition, delivering fructose, glucose, water and other sugars, in addition to many enzymes, vitamins, minerals and amino acids. In addition, it contains a host of antioxidants, which are used by the body to eliminate free radicals (nasty molecules which zip around in healthy cells and have the potential to damage them). It therefore makes a good alternative to sugar in food and drink...

...According to a Theban papyrus written in 1870 BC, the Egyptians fed and healed their children with honey. The Greek philosopher Aristotle often prescribed differ- ent types of honey for different ailments. While honey was known to have powerful wound-healing properties in ancient times, its properties seem to have been forgotten but are now enjoying a revival...

...Some not-so-scientific research has also found that honey can speed alcohol metabolism to sober up a person. The high fructose content may help to relieve that morning-after hang-over and the tired feeling that goes along with it. And while we're referring to alcoholic beverages, did you know mead is a special kind of wine created by fermenting honey in water? It is believed to be the oldest strong drink known to humans...

...North America has many varieties, the most common being clover, but other delicious varieties are produced from the nectar of canola, alfalfa, blueberries, sunflowers, fruit trees, borage and wildflowers. Especially noteworthy is Manuka honey. Its properties contain a component that is effective against resistant bacteria such as staphylococcus aureus (a drug resistant hospital killer) and helicobacter pylori (the bacterium that causes ulcers). Bees gather pollen from the flowers of the Manuka Bush, which is indigenous to New Zealand and it seems the relatively pollution-free environment of that country enriches the honey making process...

Not Just Clover - Here are some of the many kinds of honey available in specialty food shops.

Acacia - Calming; energizing; helps ease digestion problems. Suitable for young children.

Buckthorn - Mild laxative effect; appetite stimulant

Heather - Anti-anemic, energizing, diuretic, excellent for those suffering from rheumatism, severe tiredness, urinary problems and those convalescing.

Chestnut - Aids poor circulation

Eucalyptus - Eases sinus and urinary problems

--------------------

Invisiblesoochi
Chef
 User Gallery

Loc: The Richest County
    #4416418 - 07/17/05 10:05 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I heard that eating locally gathered honey helps those with allergies? Honey is very good for you, and lasts forever granted it doesn't mix with water.

I love millefiori honey from sicily, very thick almost like soft margarine. Spread on hot toast, mmmmm :grin:

--------------------
Wee, sleeket, cowran, tim'rous beastie,
O, what panic's in thy breastie!
Thou need na start awa sae hasty,
Wi' bickering brattle!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Culinary Arts, Gardening and Brewing