Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineKoolMang
Stranger
PF Tek Conflict of Ideas
    #4407289 - 07/15/05 09:16 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Okay, I have just started for the first time (in aid from my friend), started a cake operation of 6 tupperware containers. I followed the PF Tek Guide For Newbies: http://www.fungifun.org/pf/pf_en.htm

The conflict I am having is when I set it up, I changed a few things because of uncontrollable circumstances. I used (per cake):

-1 16 oz tupperware container (sealable, so why not?), more wide than tall
-BRF + vermiculite + 1 gram of powder milk (my friend says that some shit in the milk can synthesize with the spores, making them even better)
-Equidorian spores

We sterilized everything, and mixed everything according to directions, but the amount of water we used was just enough so that it feels MOIST, but not damp, sterilized water of course. However, we didn't fill it to the TOP with vermiculite, so it's half-full of cake. He insists that this worked for him (he's honest, because he was pissed that it started pinning but his mom found them and threw them out).

My question is: can they still grow using the method I described? Sorry I don't have a picture, I just wanna know if they can grow without the vermiculite on top.

If you want me to make this any clearer, just ask. I need assurance.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinecoda
Banjo Goiter
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: PF Tek Conflict of Ideas [Re: KoolMang]
    #4407311 - 07/15/05 09:28 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

well what are you using for gas exchange? If you dont have any holes in the lid no CO2 can escape effectively choking your substrate. Also, the dry verm acts as a contam barrier. Its not neccessary, but it makes life easier. If you dont use it you should set up some sort of filter (tyvek, coffee filter).

The powedered milk thing i think is BS. Never heard of that before.

Honestly id say you were setting yourself up for a failure using this method. It may work, but more then likely you'll end up with a lot of contams. Why not spend the 6 bucks on a 12 pack of 1/2 pt jars. You dont need a PC for PF tek to work.

If you follow direcs EXACTLY you WILL have success. If you choose other routes you open yourself up to lots of problems. GL

--------------------
To get really high is to forget yourself. And to forget yourself is to see everything else. And to see everything else is to become an understanding molecule in evolution, a conscious tool of the universe. And I think every human being should be a conscious tool of the universe. . . .

-JG

i really am glad you came back to us instead of taking the other path. *hug*

-A_S (RIP your final words to me will never be forgotten)

Don't fuck with the laughing jesus.

OfflineKoolMang
Stranger
Re: PF Tek Conflict of Ideas [Re: coda]
    #4407333 - 07/15/05 09:39 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Okay, I understand. It was pressure that made me employ my friend's fucked-up theory. Still, I haven't wasted much time since it was only 3 days ago. I will keep my current operation going, and compete it against the REAL way to do it, which is instructions.

Just one thing: people seem to recommend jars over tupperware, but what if you use a jar-sized 1/2 pint tupperware container with a top on it? As long as it's a container of proper proportions with a sealable top, does that suffice?

Offlinecoda
Banjo Goiter
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #4407506 - 07/15/05 11:27 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

yah, i dont think it matters if you use glass or plastic. What matters is size of container and the way you prepare it and the substrate.

--------------------
To get really high is to forget yourself. And to forget yourself is to see everything else. And to see everything else is to become an understanding molecule in evolution, a conscious tool of the universe. And I think every human being should be a conscious tool of the universe. . . .

-JG

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
    #4407514 - 07/15/05 11:32 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

coda said:

yah, i dont think it matters if you use glass or plastic.  What matters is size of container and the way you prepare it and the substrate.

:thumbup:

---

hopefully the plastic won't warp or blow out during sterilization.

I suggest putting some holes in the lid for inoculation...put tape over the holes before sterilizing the containers.

tc

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

Offlinethremix
Big Spender

Loc: Temple of Boom
Re: PF Tek Conflict of Ideas [Re: Roadkill]
    #4407554 - 07/15/05 11:51 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

RK I didn't put tape in my holes with my 1/2 Pint jars. I DID put foil lol . Dose the TAPE HAVE TO be put on?

--------------------
http://www.gainesvilleps.org/

Dale Carnegie, once said that he never needed to know any thing about any thing because he knew EVERY thing. Any time he didn't know some thing, he asked, he asked his team, his friends, And most important he asked the person that would know the answer.

Offlinethremix
Big Spender

Loc: Temple of Boom
Re: PF Tek Conflict of Ideas [Re: thremix]
    #4407568 - 07/15/05 11:58 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Also how do you know you PC to long? BRF&verm

--------------------
http://www.gainesvilleps.org/

Dale Carnegie, once said that he never needed to know any thing about any thing because he knew EVERY thing. Any time he didn't know some thing, he asked, he asked his team, his friends, And most important he asked the person that would know the answer.

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
Re: PF Tek Conflict of Ideas [Re: thremix]
    #4407569 - 07/15/05 11:58 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

no

but I trust tape from keeping water from getting inside the jars.

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

OfflineKoolMang
Stranger
Re: PF Tek Conflict of Ideas [Re: Roadkill]
    #4412013 - 07/16/05 02:46 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I have followed the directions of the PF Tek EXACTLY, but I got a question about the "oxygen" issue. The guide, which has 5 stars, says to only poke holes in one layer of aluminum foil (jar or glass, doesn't matter as long as it's 1/2 pint), but to put ANOTHER layer overtop of it! Doesn't this choke it as well, or is there something I'm missing, or something I don't understand?

Offlinecoda
Banjo Goiter
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #4412182 - 07/16/05 03:55 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

if you're following PF Tek, and you put the dry verm barrier on, you do not need the foil. Keep the foil on while you pc(i even leave it on til its done cooling) then when you inoculate take it off and leave it off. The dry verm barrier will protect against contams.

--------------------

-JG

InvisibleLeftyBurnz
Mr. I Eat Butthole
Male User Gallery

Loc: FL
    #4412332 - 07/16/05 04:52 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

could i poke more than 4 holes in the lid to speed things up or will it only work to a certain extent?

--------------------

OfflineKoolMang
Stranger
    #4413958 - 07/17/05 02:02 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I did as you said, I took the first layer of foil off (the one with 4 holes in, I left on). But I am REALLY scared about something. The recipe said to use a 10 ml syringe for all 8 jars, which is what I did, except i didn't go ALL the way past the dry vermiculite layer, maybe 3/4 an inch instead of the full inch, but I still did deposit the required amount of spores.

Let's say everything an inch under the top of the glass is moist substrate blend, but the top inch is DRY ultra-absorbent vermiculite. Vermiculite can hold several times its own weight in water! Do you think the spores might remain trapped in the dry vermiculite? Or do you think they'll find their way to the rest of the substrate? I really DID follow the directions fully, until I noticed the 1-inch inoculation procedure...

Also, it says not to use direct sunlight, but regular low-wattage light is fine. Does it need ANY light at all? Because I feel I can incubate it in a wooden drawer because it is warmer in there.

OfflineKoolMang
Stranger
    #4418052 - 07/18/05 05:31 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Is there any risk of leaving it on, even one layer of aluminum foil with holes in it?

Also, this is really concerning me: when I was inoculating them, I read this part of the instructions AFTER inoculating (stupid me): "Bury the needle 1-inch beneath the vermiculite cover". I gave a healthy amount of spores to each jar, the holes are at the SIDE of the jar, and the needle may have buried 1/2" to 3/4" into the vermiculite layer. Even with this minor error, can the spores still find their way into the moist substrate?

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
    #4418079 - 07/18/05 05:53 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

NO light what so ever during incubation. I also recommend leaving a layer of foil on the jars not as a contam barrier but to help the jars retaining their moisture. Tape to me is just more work and if left on during incubation will stall your jars more times than not. The foil is all you need, during PCing it can be sealed tightly and after inocuating it can be left somewhat looser and will not affect gas exchange. That verm layer on top of your substrate should not be thicker than 1/2" as that is perfect IME. GL

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

OfflineKoolMang
Stranger
Re: PF Tek Conflict of Ideas [Re: hyphae]
    #4418351 - 07/18/05 09:12 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Dude, I still need to know this important question: if I injected the spores halfway or 3/4 the way into the DRY vermiculite layer, are they forever trapped in the dry area, or is it possible for them to find their way down into the substrate?

Now that that question is clear, do I have anything to worry about?

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

#4418379 - 07/18/05 09:25 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

There's no nutes in Verm.

So i'm sure they sucked up all the spores and thats where they're resting.

They wont germinate on verm. w/o nutes.

What total mind fuck this grow must have been so far.

Gl next time.

-Gnostic

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
    #4418711 - 07/18/05 11:38 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Without offending you GL next time, and don't forget to read AND understand the direction, if any questions please ask soon enough we'll be more than happy to answer your questions ASAP! :wink: again GL

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

Offlinelardnar
Pu Pu Platter
Male

Loc: Behind what appears
Re: PF Tek Conflict of Ideas [Re: hyphae]
    #4418755 - 07/18/05 11:48 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

yeah the whole idea is to inject after the verm, I couldn't see it happening the way you did it

--------------------
If your soul is sence this life is lost ...

OfflineKoolMang
Stranger
Re: PF Tek Conflict of Ideas [Re: lardnar]
    #4418893 - 07/18/05 12:28 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

You guys are right, any slight fuckup could be a total fuckup. Anyway, all the tupperware containers are doing is collecting moisture/spores on the edges of the container (totally sealed), so my friend's theory fucked up.

I messed up by 1/2 an inch, and I might've fucked up. Still, it is very fortunate there is a store in the next town that sells spore syringes for $45 each. This time, it'll be flawless. Thanks for all your help, guys! I have now added another thread to the 5000+ already existing on this site! J/k lol.

OfflineKoolMang
Stranger
Re: PF Tek Conflict of Ideas [Re: IGnosticAbhorI]
    #4418905 - 07/18/05 12:34 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Actually, yes it did fuck with my mind a bit, but only for 2 days. Money aside, convenience is around the corner. I think, when I get a new bong, a new ounce, I will get a new syringe and start again, this time I will know exactly what to do.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds