Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinewallace
Male

Loc: Canada
anniversary coming up
    #4410993 - 07/16/05 09:26 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

It seems like I will have soon been hunting mushrooms for about 12 months. Soon after I started I saw a vast expanse of LBMs fruiting on a bed of mulch (behind a chainlink fence). When I finally photographed and printed one, I signed on here. Some kind of commemorative post is necessary.

I figure I learned a few things in 12 months. First of all, those first mushrooms are more likely to be agrocybes (like mine) than active. And partial knowledge, great enthusiasm, stupidity (and in my case alcohol) is a bad, bad combination. It lead me to try a mushroom that bears a distinct resemblance for a beginner to galerina fasciculata or G. marginata. If you didn't read the whole sordid story when I posted it, don't ask because I erased it, and I am not repeating it because it is embarassing and it brings back bad memories. And nowadays I am less interested in actives than I used to be. Nothing will match the experience finding my first shaggy manes. Jesus, they were huge when you expect to find something 5 cm high.

I now have a huge collection of photographs. I organize them according to my hikes or trips, so I roughly know where to find them when I find something similar or a trip through my guidebook reminds me of something. I have found quite a few mushrooms that are immediately identifiable. But the LBMs are impossible. I have given up on quite a few mushrooms this season just because I don't have the time to print them, and figure out if their caps and stalks are scurfy of striated or whatever that will distinguish them from something else that is small and brown. So I have some questions. Where do I go from here?
Do I target a few genus or, say, mushrooms with black spores. If you were me, how would you organize the photos you take? Should photographs include crossections of the cap and stalk?
Are there any other sites like this where I can post photos and get advice about mushrooms from competent hunters? I can't stand people who keep talking about how delicious was their latest haul of morels. To me the shroomery has been my best bet so far, but the old "shibiretake" as they are called in Japan have not been appearing, and I am interested in all kinds of mushrooms.
Any advice is welcome, and excuse my rambling.
Wallace

--------------------
Wallace

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleLouiseLouise
starstruck
Male User Gallery

Loc: Searching w/my good eye c...
Trusted Identifier
Re: anniversary coming up [Re: wallace]
    #4411069 - 07/16/05 10:09 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Hi Wallace, congratulations. Sounds much like myself. I'm not quite a year old yet. Before I found the shroomery, I thought mushrooms were only good to shoot or run over with the lawnmower. In my days of experimenting with psychoactives, I would never touch mushrooms. I thought they gave undesirable effects. Like my friends would always end up crashing out, getting sick or seeing weird movements in the world.
Anyway, yeah I hear ya on the lbm part. I give up on them plenty.
For one, I have aquired a program for windows where I document my finds (no real purpose I guess, just something I really can't stop doing,lol)
Do you have the program "Fungi"? It has a format, separted into genus, all the information I can arrange. Pretty cool. If you don't, I'll see if I can help you get it.
And, I'll agree with you on the places to go. There are others, good ones too. mushworld is interesting and mushroom expert. There are folks here that frequent these sites and can give you more acurate descriptions. Gumby dude visits some good communities, I know, but he hasn't been around alot lately. I'll go gather some links.
Also, recently, I have taken a turn and have discovered a whole new world to mushrooms. The new and exciting things I learn seems to be never ending. And whats more is I like to be on the cutting edge, I like to do things that have never been done before, find new things. So, it seems I have settled on something I always thought was rather irrelevant, ha, surprise :smirk:

peace

--------------------
"That's why you get in close to them, and then take the picture!! Don't be a pussy!" ~CC

Offlinefalcon
In the green

Trusted Identifier
    #4411089 - 07/16/05 10:23 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

You have some great pictures. I'm not sure how you should organize them.
I like keeping the ones together that are found on a hike.
Taking a cross section of ones that you want to identify later really helps.

Advice, get a loop, it will help you see details, scurfy, ect. quickly.

Every once in a while when you find a mushroom you know, sit down and write a description of it and then check it against a description in a book or online.

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #4411694 - 07/16/05 02:54 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Where you go next depends on where you want to go next.

Are you interested in edibles? There are tons of books out there to help you learn edible species.

If you're interested in the mycology bit, try specializing in a genus. Pick one and find every mushroom locally from that genus. Even if you can't give them the "official" name, you can still give them names of your own until you can get a professional to help you put the official names to them. I just attended a talk by Dr Michelle Seidl (an expert on Cortinarius - an extraordinarily difficult genus) and apparently Asia is a bit underrepresented in that genus. I'd be willing to bet that it's because they haven't been studied there much, not because there aren't any. Incidentally, Cortinarius is more doable than most people suspect - it's the Telamonias (the LBM Corts) that make the genus impossible.

Another project some professionals do who are in areas with a lot of mushrooms is to collect and identify every species that grows in their yard. Dr Nancy Weber is doing that and is up to around 240 species so far.

If there's a local professional mycologist, try getting in touch with them. The professionals I know are friendly and helpful and like to offer good advice. They will also help you make IDs on the really tough ones. It doesn't hurt to watch them throw out some of the tough ones, either. Dr Harry Thiers was notorious for, when somebody would point out a difficult to identify mushroom on the ground and asking what it was, stepping on the mushroom and saying "Now we'll never know."

Another good way to continue is to get with a local mycological society. You'll meet other people interested in mushrooms and get new ideas of things to do. They'll generally have people around who are very experienced in the local mycoflora and can help identify a lot of the ones you have trouble with.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Offlinewallace
Male

Loc: Canada
Re: anniversary coming up [Re: ToxicMan]
    #4414061 - 07/17/05 06:06 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks for the advice, everyone. One of the things we were going to do last fall was go to the countryside where one of the locals helps people find and cook edibles. There were bears all over the place last fall, so that got cancelled. I want to learn the edibles, though, and how to prepare them--I figure I will sort a lot of stuff out in that process.
Apart from that the drug laws here are harsh and I am not inclined to test them. I am going to have to stick with my camera. Finding one of the three or four blue-bruising psilocybes would be finding the Holy Grail though.
Wallace

--------------------
Wallace

Offlineeris
underground
Male User Gallery

Loc: North East, USA
Trusted Identifier
    #4416856 - 07/18/05 12:12 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Nice to see that you are deciding to stick to this hobby.
It is an interesting journey but you can learn something new just about every time you go out on hunts. The vast number of different species that are out there is mind blowing. I have been going out on mushroom hunting excursions for about somewhere around ten or more years. Even after all of this time, I'm still picking up new knowledge and finding things I've never seen before as each mushroom season passes.

Back in my early days, I used to make spore prints and pics of all of my finds (developed poor quality glossy pics), put them in a photo album and date them. There are still some faded looking spore prints in there from like 1996. I used to think I could find all of the species in my books and just check them off as i go.. little did I know back then that something like that would take a lifetime of dedication and still wouldn't be possible.

The pure randomness of this hobby is what makes it great. When I head off into those foggy and moist woods, I never know what I'm gonna come back with in my bag.

--------------------
Immortal / Temporarily Retired
The OG Thread Killer
My mushroom hunting gallery

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification