Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Music, Art, and Media

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineAvatarofAtavism
Stranger

Loc: canada
Protector, by Larry Niven
    #4410916 - 07/16/05 07:55 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Just curious if anyone else has read this book?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/det...nce&s=books

I read the book when I was very young, and it constantly reminds me of mushrooms. It may very well have subconsciously contributed to my current love for them.

The premise: there is a third phase of human life after the 'breeder' phase. It is issued forth by a plant, in the book this is a yam-like thing. The yam itself is actualy useless, but within the particular yam lives a virus. When eaten, the virus alters DNA and sets the body into a short transition stage before becoming the 'protector'. Lips harden into a beak, brain and skull expand, skin turns into a thick leather, joints expand massively to increase strength without any aditional muscle growth.

Alright, the physical change bit is somewhat extranious to my mushroom connection, but the main issues of the story centre around the intensely hightened intelligence and how it changes perceptions of the world more than anything. This is not to say that mushrooms do any of this, of course. Listening to many of terrence mckennahs lectures lead me to think of this a few weeks ago.

Anyhow, I am most certainly doing a terrible job of describing what I mean. Anyone else read this gem?

--------------------
Do not despair, said the mystery. You will always have a friend in me. Untill the day you break my code. Then I will be gone, and you are free...
to manifest another.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Music, Art, and Media