Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineShr00minator
Stranger

whats the hype with perlite?
    #4409758 - 07/15/05 09:39 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Ok so i added 2 inches of perlite into a ten gallon aquarium. well it just so happened that i added too much water. According to my gauge it read 95 percent rh. The next day it fell to 80 percent. So to eliminate the standing water issue, i strained the perlite so it would only be damp. After putting it back into the aquarium the humidity still was only 80 percent. Well because i am growing cakes i began to get a bit worried, although i harvested a few shrooms i wanted a monster flush. I then dunked and rolled the cakes and put them in a rubber maid container so i could make it air tight as opposed to the aquarium lid. Well after misting and adding just enough perlite and water, the humidity is still 80. And right now im getting really pissed because i dont know what else i can do. My next grow im definately doing casings because i think i can only do casings because of my environment. And by the way my humidity gauge does work, i have seen it go up to 90 once.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: whats the hype with perlite? [Re: Shr00minator]
    #4409773 - 07/15/05 09:42 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

That doesnt mean it works well..often humidity guages are crap....what is the humidity when out of the chamber? Perlite is pretty much always plenty, no matter what the guage says.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offlinethegaruda
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: whats the hype with perlite? [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4409906 - 07/15/05 10:17 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

HAHAHA i just went though tha tsame ordeal, on my first grow my gauge worked great, read up to 97%, and im like damn that good my first time. Then the next days it trailed down to 80% and got stuck there, no matter what i did it got stuck there. i had an ultrasonic and 3 inches of perlite in a sealed tupperware container.

my pitfall of the first grow was that i relayed way to much on my faulty hygrometer. I didn't allow to much airflow cuz i was afriad of lossing humidity. and i had the ultrasonic on full bore. big mistake i over humidified my terrium and my gauge still read 80.

time time around i bought a recommended one at walmart for 12 bux, thig works fantastic. i decided to keep it in the terrium just for like 30 mins at a time to take a reading, somehow i think that over humid conditions that are constant for cheapo gauges will destory the circuity and sensors. if your using perlite long as you got a nice layer of condensation on your perlite and mist a few times a day on your walls of your terrium you will be fine, im sure you humidity is up there.

air exchange is crucial so dont sea lyou shroomies in there too long :smile:

Offlinered914
Minion
Loc: Utah
Re: whats the hype with perlite? [Re: thegaruda]
    #4409977 - 07/15/05 10:39 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Is it the one with the cute frog on it? It is the thought that counts. I bagged the perlite, use a stryofoam ice chest with a gallon of water in the bottom with a bit of h2o2 (cuts having to fan as ofter) and a dunkable fish heater, made a phony floor out of plastic mesh, and now water drips constaintly from the top like a rain forest. Always 100%

Offlinethegaruda
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: whats the hype with perlite? [Re: red914]
    #4410031 - 07/15/05 10:51 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

yeah i am a proud owned of that thermostat...about the only thing good about it is cute fing frog on the display. those were the biggest waste of money lol. tha tset up is like one of the most ghetto, but overall best cuz of the functionality to cost factor :smile:. what does the h202 have ot do with the fanning, i htought h202 was to help sterlize the water and resist contams??? am i missing somehting here.

Invisiblegema
Freedom from the Known

Loc: t(here)
    #4410032 - 07/15/05 10:51 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

geolite/airstones is the way to go unless you use double tub tek.

Offlinered914
Minion
Re: whats the hype with perlite? [Re: gema]
    #4410076 - 07/15/05 10:58 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

H2o2 releases oxygen slowly as it attacks dirt. About the same as fanning if you think about it. Just my thinking. you still have to remove co2. but not as often.

Offlinered914
Minion
    #4410093 - 07/15/05 11:00 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Oh, ya... Thats why I have the false floor about half way up the tank, to keep the spawn out of the heavy CO2

Invisiblemyndreach
philosopher
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #4410418 - 07/16/05 12:26 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

red914 said:
H2o2 releases oxygen slowly as it attacks dirt. About the same as fanning if you think about it. Just my thinking. you still have to remove co2. but not as often.

cite your source please...

i seriously doubt that h202 releases enough oxygen to fully exchange the air in the chamber.

im sure i could be wrong, but it's just not something I've ever heard here

OfflineKainMagus
Stranger
Re: whats the hype with perlite? [Re: myndreach]
    #4410900 - 07/16/05 05:10 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

fuck the frog themostat! that goddamn thing froze at 80% and hasnt moved since. I sprayed water directly into it to see if i could get it to move and it didnt. Hey Question though, if the perlite is over wet, will i need to dry it up some to raise the RH, or will it be ok a little over damp? it feels dry on top but i know underneath its way too wet.

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

Re: whats the hype with perlite? [Re: myndreach]
    #4411130 - 07/16/05 08:47 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

myndreach said:
Quote:

red914 said:

i seriously doubt that h202 releases enough oxygen to fully exchange the air in the chamber.

Hydrogen Peroxide - H2o2

Two hydrogens and two Oxygens.

Light and fresh air Breaks h2o2 down.(why do you think it comes in a black/brown bottle and not a clear one like alcohol..)

So It breaks down into water and air gradually...

But not enough to say that you should fan less...lol...

-Gnostic

Invisiblemyndreach
philosopher
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: whats the hype with perlite? [Re: IGnosticAbhorI]
    #4411142 - 07/16/05 08:52 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

IGnosticAbhorI said:
Quote:

myndreach said:
Quote:

red914 said:

Hydrogen Peroxide - H2o2

Two hydrogens and two Oxygens.

Light and fresh air Breaks h2o2 down.(why do you think it comes in a black/brown bottle and not a clear one like alcohol..)

So It breaks down into water and air gradually...

But not enough to say that you should fan less...lol...

-Gnostic

exactly...i knew it breaks down into water and oxygen, but the thought of it being enough to give gas exchange to a 20 or 30 gallon rubbermaid seemed funny :smile:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder