Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineSweetLeaf
"33"
 User Gallery

Loc: wa
An Idea About Cubes
    #4410830 - 07/16/05 05:57 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Alright first off, I've never hunted cubes. Ever. I have some good knowledge of them, though no hands on experience, some other experiences, but no cow field, farmer shot me in the back with rock-salt kinda stuff. I am a Washington native, who has had quite of bit of woodlover hunting experience. Please correct me at any point if you know what your talking about, I realize there may be wholes in many parts of my theory.

But I have a thought about the hunting of them [cubes] and the cow shit from which they grow. A friend of mines mother, who is very engaged in environmentalism and healthy food growing/raising, was busy explaining the complexities of mad cow disease and told me that it is usually spread through farmers placing bad meat (as in not tasty to humans i.e. tough shoulder, ect.) in the cows feed, such as grains, and pieces of the vertebrae or brain are consequently ground in. (Or do most farms down south feeds their cattle via grass? I know that inorganic farms sometimes do this which is very harmful to the cows stomachs.) Thus, by eating the pieces of brain and spine ligaments from infected cattle, mad cow is spread (And cooked in a McDonald's near you!).

But that isn't my point, (its 2:34 in the morning, so cut me some slack) what I'm getting at is that maybe, if the grinding of meat into cow feed is a semi-common practice, this could effect the ability of mushrooms to grow in some fields due to a meat laden diet given to the cows. Now, what I am half pulling from the back of my brain/maybe assuming/maybe pretending to have seen this, is that mushrooms (psilocybes in detail) tend not grow in the fecal matter of animals that are herbivores or carnivores, or meat eaters.

Put those together and you end up with a conclusion that says cows that are given a diet consisting of part feed and part meat will excrete feces that are not very stable for mushrooms.

Could this mean that some fields will very rarely produce, or give people a tough time finding mushrooms? Could you simply go door to door pretending your taking a survey on the feed given to ones cattle? Would they tell you? Could this eliminate a new hunter hours of wasted time (well maybe not wasted, experience is important)?

Please I would appreciate any feedback, ideas, suggestions....experiments...

Thank you.

--------------------
Ph.dizzle

Edited by SweetLeaf (07/16/05 01:40 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleYESSUP
In The Thick Of It
 User Gallery

Loc: SE Tex
Re: An Idea About Cubes [Re: SweetLeaf]
    #4411066 - 07/16/05 10:07 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

MMMM,
Well I feel that the practice of grinding up old dead cow and slipping it into cow feed is a rare practice.
Your chances of finding this are so slim that I feel you have stayed up late and pounded your brain for no reason... With only a couple case's of MCD in the states you have nothing to worry about.

Hell I live in south east Texas and we just had another cow here in Sealy with MCD... The cows are quarantined and believe me the last thing the ranchers want is an outbreak!

As far as This spoiling the cube harvest .. If we had that many cows running around eating tainted feed we would be in a world of Shit!

There are a ass load of cows in the states and to my knowledge only a couple have ever been positively ID'ed for having MCD!

Peace Out!
"S"

Don't sweat it and go find some cubes!

"S"

--------------------
Gut Feeling leads to anxiety, Anxiety leads to fear, Fear leads to anger,And anger leads to regret.

InvisibleLouiseLouise
starstruck
Male User Gallery

Loc: Searching w/my good eye c...
Trusted Identifier
Re: An Idea About Cubes [Re: YESSUP]
    #4411187 - 07/16/05 11:16 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah, a bit irrelevant. Interesting nonetheless. You probably know this, but say chicken plants (goldkist, campells soup, etc.) probably oscar meyer, Hormel, etc... have waste product (bone, gut etc...) that are recycled into feed (ppl feed as in hot dogs,lol, dog food, and recycled back as stock feed) This is one way how MCD is transferred. MCD can also pass from wild deer to cows. MCD does scare me.
Anyway, if you are wondering about it's use as an antifungal, I would'nt think so. There are still spores in the feces mixed with grains. Meat and bi-products are nutritious.
I do spend time trying to put myself in the farmers shoes, as in, I've worked hard for what you see. People are continually comming here and fucking up my fence, messing with my cows, and generally messing with my property! The thought doesn't make me happy either. I often think my field would be wired so hot that I'd hafta call an ambulance to get a body everytime my lights went out :lol:
No, really, I went to a field a couple weeks ago to find four guys chasing a cow back into the field. I feel bad for them :nonono: they've worked hard for what they have and ppl arebound and determined to f* it up for personal agenda.
In essence, what I'm saying is that fugi controll must be somewhat important to the farmers. The government and farmers are both very cautious of MCD, therefore, your theory seems to have too many negative effects to even be attempted.

peace

--------------------
"That's why you get in close to them, and then take the picture!! Don't be a pussy!" ~CC

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification