Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineOzShroomer
Stranger
First time hunt in vic, aust. lots of mushrooms
    #4410763 - 07/16/05 04:29 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Aaaah, my very first mushroom hunt :smile:

I actually stumbled across these while walking down a driveway, and found in thick grass. It'd rained quite a fair bit that day and the day before.

Location: Northern-Central Victoria, Australia. Near Shepparton

These mushrooms were in abundance on the lawn, probably due to all the dog crap there that i had to dodge :P
The surrounding gardens are fertilized a lot with horse manure, so whether that contributed i dont know..

I found these badboys here:

Now for their ID.. (lemme know what things i left out that arent obvious from the photos)

STEM: tarnished white, or very light brown (cinnamon?). Straight and non-taperred, fibre-like, and hollow. When bruised the colour just becomes darkened, not blueing. No base (volva) present.

GILLS: light brown, spaced evenly, attached to the stem a little bit (but i could carefully pluck the stem). Fairly fine spacing, not crowded.

CAP: rubber-like, not slimey. Tan/dark-tan all over, darkenning at the centre on the 'nipple'. The edges were frilled, and darkened, but not so much as the centre. Some had a 'waveiness' to them, like that of Psilocybe australian/eucalypta?

FLESH: rubbery like the cap, light-brown. Not very thick at all, quite thin.

None of these mushrooms showed any signs of blueing when bruised or touched, thats what has got me thinking that they're not active.

Dad calls them 'toadstools' and says they're poisonous, but i hardly think his opinion is much to go by :wink:

Any help in identifying these little suckers would be greatly appreciated.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleDepthToTheCore
JeeBuzz
Male User Gallery
Loc: Australia brah
Re: First time hunt in vic, aust. lots of mushrooms [Re: OzShroomer]
    #4410800 - 07/16/05 05:08 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

All i can tell you is they arent active. Im not sure what species they are, but if you are after actives around your area, check out woodchipped/mulched gardens and look for Psilocube Subaeruginosa. Wait for someone to ID these for you.

--------------------

"Those who dance are considered insane by those who cannot hear the music." - George Carlin

OfflineOzShroomer
Stranger
Re: First time hunt in vic, aust. lots of mushrooms [Re: DepthToTheCore]
    #4410881 - 07/16/05 06:59 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Cheers on the feedback. Pretty disappointing that you tell me these arent active..but at least i'm gettin some experience :smile: so i'll try to look on the bright side

I also found this different looking mushroom in a paddock that was riddled with horse crap. It looked to bruise blue, and the spore print showed up purple-black. It might not look evident in the photo, but the camera is pretty cheap :/

This was picked on the same day as the others, except in a different paddock. The top was slimey, and the gills underneath were dark. Whitish stalk.

I thought that it resembled a Psilocybe subcubensis or Psilosybe semilanceata, but that could just be wishful thinking :wink:

InvisibleLouiseLouise
starstruck
Male User Gallery

Loc: Searching w/my good eye c...
Trusted Identifier
Re: First time hunt in vic, aust. lots of mushrooms [Re: OzShroomer]
    #4411194 - 07/16/05 11:20 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

The first post do look a bit like Ps. sub., you might wait for someone who has experience with them. Meanwhile, do some searching, try to id them for yourself.

peace

--------------------
"That's why you get in close to them, and then take the picture!! Don't be a pussy!" ~CC

InvisibleDepthToTheCore
JeeBuzz
Male User Gallery
Loc: Australia brah
Re: First time hunt in vic, aust. lots of mushrooms [Re: LouiseLouise]
    #4413250 - 07/17/05 12:23 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

LouiseLouise said:
The first post do look a bit like Ps. sub., you might wait for someone who has experience with them. Meanwhile, do some searching, try to id them for yourself.

peace

Are you talking about P. Subaeruginosa or Subbalteatus? Because they look absolutely nothing like P. Subaeruginosa, nor do they look like subbs.

--------------------

"Those who dance are considered insane by those who cannot hear the music." - George Carlin

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification