Home | Community | Message Board

Zamnesia.com
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Original Seeds Store Shop: Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisibleveggie

Loc: Flag
Hidden Marijuana Traps Endanger Cops, Hikers
    #4410665 - 07/16/05 03:42 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Hidden Marijuana Traps Endanger Cops, Hikers
July 15, 2005 - newsnet5.com

Bear Traps, Bombs, Grenades, Shrapnel, Snakes Gaurd Illegal Drugs

CLEVELAND (AP) -- Razor blades, bear traps, grenades and guns are among the traps marijuana growers are using to try to keep out police and competing drug growers.

Drug agents in helicopters have spotted $411 million worth of marijuana across Ohio in the last decade, records from the Ohio attorney general show. In the process, they have pulled nearly 100 traps from patches.

Agents said that's probably a small fraction of what's out there.

"It's a problem, not just for law enforcement, but for hikers and the 15-year-old kid on a four-wheeler out to have some fun," said Ted Almay, former director of the Ohio Bureau of Criminal Identification and Investigation.

Traps include fishing lines with sharpened fish hooks attached strung between trees and razor blades shoved into the stalks of marijuana plants, ready to bloody intruders.

Last year, a grower planted 10 homemade bombs in a cornfield in Highland County in southwest Ohio. A groundhog set off the trap and blew itself into the air.

In Champaign County, a hiker suffered some paralysis after tripping over a fishing line attached to the pin of a hand grenade, which exploded and showered the man with shrapnel.

Poisonous copperhead snakes were put in a mesh container near a plot in Kentucky. When a state police officer tried to harvest the plot, he tripped on a wire and a snake sprang out to bite him on the hand.

In Meigs and Lorain counties, authorities have found marijuana fields guarded by pungi sticks, infamously used by the enemy in the Vietnam War. Growers fill 3- to 5-foot deep holes with buckets of the sharpened sticks and hide the holes with twigs and grass. People walking by have crashed through and fallen onto the pungi sticks.

"They're common around here, as are bear traps," said Meigs County Sheriff's Deputy Rick Smith.

Jim Bissell, chief botanist for the Cleveland Museum of Natural History, searches private and state-owned land in northeast Ohio and northwest Pennsylvania for rare plants and flowers. He often finds marijuana. He once came across a trap, and he fears he'll find others.

"I worry because I'm out there all the time," Bissell said. "I'm worried that I'm going to step on a trip wire. I have people from my office who are out there, too. It's a concern. I think my wife is more worried than I am because she fears I won't come home."

Jim Gordon, president of the Mohican Trail Club, a hiking group near Ashland, said casual hikers who wander off paths often find marijuana plants and traps. Traps are so extensive that officials have warned hikers on state and federal lands.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinenightkrawler
explorer
Male

Loc: new england
Re: Hidden Marijuana Traps Endanger Cops, Hikers [Re: veggie]
    #4411317 - 07/16/05 12:16 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

wow, people that plant traps like that deserve whatever trouble they get in with the law.

--------------------

Not all who wander are lost - J.R.R. Tolkien

OfflineRetired
Re: Hidden Marijuana Traps Endanger Cops, Hikers [Re: nightkrawler]
    #4411336 - 07/16/05 12:22 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

yeah those are bastard people just in drugs for money and crime...

booby traps are so fucking lame i think they go hand in hand with stabbing someone in the back...

OfflineKalix
'Head

Re: Hidden Marijuana Traps Endanger Cops, Hikers [Re: Retired]
    #4411865 - 07/16/05 03:42 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I like this one "Poisonous copperhead snakes were put in a mesh container near a plot in Kentucky. When a state police officer tried to harvest the plot, he tripped on a wire and a snake sprang out to bite him on the hand"... That one is fair.. Grenades near grows is ridiculous though

--------------------

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: The Shotgun of Sweet Reason

OfflineNashbar
just strange.... on drugs
Male User Gallery

Loc: strawberry field
Re: Hidden Marijuana Traps Endanger Cops, Hikers [Re: Kalix]
    #4411942 - 07/16/05 04:10 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

what happened to protecting grows with guards and guns? Or is that just in the movies?

--------------------
:pacman: :mushroom2:

OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site
Re: Hidden Marijuana Traps Endanger Cops, Hikers [Re: Nashbar]
    #4412126 - 07/16/05 05:38 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

yeah those are bastard people just in drugs for money and crime...

just in drugs for money and crime? I made traps when I was a nub grower and I wasn't in it for money or crime, I had just been jacked the past 2 years (seriously every crop), I was ready to blow whoever else tried sky high. I have since stopped but if I saw someone jacking my crop I would shank them to death.

grenades are going too far.

InvisibleThe_Green_Glow
i consume yasoul

Re: Hidden Marijuana Traps Endanger Cops, Hikers [Re: CptnGarden]
    #4416686 - 07/17/05 11:24 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

im all for it, sept i dont like how innocent people can be hurt, especially kids.  if it was anyone trying to specifically get the plants....BOOM, part of the job/robbery, its fair game.

but even poor animals who couldnt give a fuck less about the weed are getting hurt or killed, thats what is bullshit of it all.

i care even about a poor bird that could fly into a razor blade :frown: that shit aint cool with me.

--------------------
"are you goin to hell or heaven? did you walk with the sinners or pray with the reverend? tell the truth i did a little of both, but aint no tellin where im goin til my bodies a ghost." --Twiztid

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Hidden Marijuana Traps Endanger Cops, Hikers [Re: The_Green_Glow]
    #4418097 - 07/18/05 08:11 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I think this story is perhaps... misleading. Re-read the thing... it just doesn't make sense... I hear stories all the time about 20-zillion plants being found in such-and-such state park, but not once have I ever heard about an officer that was injured or killed by a trap guarding these plants. Not once...

Take the following line from the story:

Quote:

Jim Bissell, chief botanist for the Cleveland Museum of Natural History, searches private and state-owned land in northeast Ohio and northwest Pennsylvania for rare plants and flowers. He often finds marijuana. He once came across a trap, and he fears he'll find others.

So this guy that spends a lot of time in the forests looking for rare plants and flowers and has found a lot of cannabis, has only once came across a trap. And what does he have to say about it...

Quote:

I think my wife is more worried than I am

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Re: Hidden Marijuana Traps Endanger Cops, Hikers [Re: Seuss]
    #4418645 - 07/18/05 01:15 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah they probably blew it out of proportion (noooooooo!)...

This:
"Poisonous copperhead snakes were put in a mesh container near a plot in Kentucky. When a state police officer tried to harvest the plot, he tripped on a wire and a snake sprang out to bite him on the hand."

Made me laugh aloud lol, sorry for the guy I guess, but dont fuck with the buds man! Overall though I dont like the trap idea because of inocents, people and animals, being hurt. I'm sure with some carful thought and concideration and planning that could be dealt with well, but I still think the idea is shitty.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Original Seeds Store Shop: Cannabis Seeds

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service