Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisiblespud
I'm so fly.

A Letter to the British People from a daughter of Iraq.
    #4410114 - 07/16/05 01:04 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

By Iman al-Saadun

I'm sending this letter to the British people and in particular to the residents of London.

For a period of hours, you have lived through moments of desperate anxiety and horror. In those hours you lost a member of your family or a friend, and we wish to tell you in total honesty that we too grieve when human lives pass away.

I cannot tell you how much we hurt when we see desperation and pain on the face of another person. For we have lived through this situation ? and continue to live through it every day ? since your country and the United States formed an alliance and laid plans to attack Iraq.

The Prime Minister of your country, Tony Blair, said that those who carried out the explosions did so in the name of Islam. The Secretary of State of the United States, Condaleezza Rice, described the bombings as an act of barbarism. The United Nations Security Council met and unanimously condemned the event.

I would like to ask you, the free British people, to allow me to inquire: in whose name was our country blockaded for 12 years?

In whose name were our cities bombed using internationally prohibited weapons?

In whose name did the British army kill Iraqis and torture them? Was that in your name?

Or in the name of religion? Or humanity? Or freedom? Or democracy?

What do you call the killing of more than two million children?

What do you call the pollution of the soil and the water with depleted uranium and other lethal substances?

What do you call what happened in the prisons in Iraq ? in Abu Ghraib, Camp Bucca and the many other prison camps?

What do you call the torture of men, women, and children?

What do you call tying bombs to the bodies of prisoners and blowing them apart?

What do you call the refinement of methods of torture for use on Iraqi prisoners ? such as pulling off limbs, gouging out eyes, putting out cigarettes on their skin, and using cigarette lighters to set fire to the hair on their heads?

Does the word "barbaric" adequately describe the behavior of your troops in Iraq?

May we ask why the Security Council did not condemn the massacre in al-Amiriyah and what happened in al-Fallujah, Tal'afar, Sadr City, and an-Najaf?

Why does the world watch as our people are killed and tortured and not condemn the crimes being committed against us?

Are you human beings and we something less? Do you think that only you can feel pain and we can't? In fact it is we who are most aware of how intense is the pain of the mother who has lost her child, or the father who has lost his family. We know very well how painful it is to lose those you love.

You don't know our martyrs, but we know them. You don't remember them, but we remember them. You don't cry over them, but we cry over them.

Have you heard the name of the little girl Hannan Salih Matrud? Or of the boy Ahmad Jabir Karim? Or Sa'id Shabram?

Yes, our dead have names too. They have faces and stories and memories. There was a time when they were among us, laughing and playing. They had dreams, just as you have. They had a tomorrow awaiting them. But today they sleep among us with no tomorrow on which to wake.

We don't hate the British people or the peoples of the world. This war was imposed upon us, but we are now fighting it in defense of our selves. Because we want to live in our homeland ? the free land of Iraq ? and to live as we want to live, not as your government or the American government wish.

Let the families of those killed know that responsibility for the Thursday morning London bombings lies with Tony Blair and his policies. Stop your war against our people! Stop the daily killing that your troops commit! End your occupation of our homeland!

Iman al-Saadun
Friday, 8 July 2005.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineBobo
Tongue
 User Gallery

Loc: Next to Kitty (Yahweh)
Re: A Letter to the British People from a daughter of Iraq. [Re: spud]
    #4410372 - 07/16/05 02:04 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Bad people beget bad things. It's in the name of liberation and stable democracy. In the larger, long-term view of things, the utilitarian view of the liberation of Iraq is that it will be, eventually, better for a greater number of people than the perpetuation of Hussein's dictatorship. And let's not forget--LET'S NOT FORGET--the domino effect into Lebanon, the pressure on Egypt, Saudi Arabia, the Palestinians....

--------------------
OneMoreRobot3021 said:
the pub mods are a cancer on our society as a whole.
pantsboy said:
Do kittens contain mescaline?  Because they should.

My GF & ME :heart:

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: A Letter to the British People from a daughter of Iraq. [Re: Bobo]
    #4410395 - 07/16/05 02:11 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I think we should just let Saddam out of custody and give him back the reins in Iraq. I'd like to see what they say then.

OfflineBobo
Tongue
 User Gallery

Re: A Letter to the British People from a daughter of Iraq. [Re: Redstorm]
    #4410446 - 07/16/05 02:39 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Well, I was taking the administration's talking points/policy argument, yes. Of course killing innocents sucks. But, we're there, now. And tell me what the intellectual elite of Iraq have to say about the current situation.
Would they go back? Do they see the current situation as better, for the long term and their children?

I don't know. I'd just like to know.

--------------------
OneMoreRobot3021 said:
pantsboy said:

OfflineProsgeopax
Jaded, yethopeful?

Loc: Appearing at a mall near ...
Re: A Letter to the British People from a daughter of Iraq. [Re: Redstorm]
    #4410495 - 07/16/05 02:51 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Redstorm said:
I think we should just let Saddam out of custody and give him back the reins in Iraq.

It's funny that I have only encountered such expressions from those who support imposing their will upon another people. Never have I encountered the sentiment, "we should just let Saddam out of custody and give him back the reins in Iraq" either seriously or in jest, from those who are against burdening the innocent with violence. What does this tell you about your interpretation of your political opposition? Perhaps, it is that you misunderstand what they are trying to convey.

Chew on that awhile. Do not ask me for an explanation, as a map is not the same as travelling the path.

--------------------
Money doesn't grow on trees, but deficits do grow under Bushes.

You can accept, reject, or examine and test any new idea that comes to you. The wise man chooses the third way.
- Tom Willhite

Disclaimer: I reserve the right to change my opinions should I become aware of additional facts, the falsification of information or different perspectives. Articles written by others which I post may not necessarily reflect my opinions in part or in whole, my opinions may be in direct opposition, the topic may be one on which I have yet to formulate an opinion or have doubts about, an article may be posted solely with the intent to stimulate discussion or contemplation.

OfflineProsgeopax
Jaded, yethopeful?

Loc: Appearing at a mall near ...
    #4410550 - 07/16/05 03:12 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Bobo said:
In the larger, long-term view of things, the utilitarian view of the liberation of Iraq is that it will be, eventually, better for a greater number of people than the perpetuation of Hussein's dictatorship.

The term 'liberation' may be misapplied. It seems that a more generic, and hence more appropriate term is, 'regime change.' The 'utilitarian' view is currently only one of opinion, seeing that it is speculative and time dependent.

Quote:

And let's not forget--LET'S NOT FORGET--the domino effect into Lebanon, the pressure on Egypt, Saudi Arabia, the Palestinians....

Ah, the infamous and historically unsupported cold war 'domino effect' idea is resurrected.

--------------------
Money doesn't grow on trees, but deficits do grow under Bushes.

You can accept, reject, or examine and test any new idea that comes to you. The wise man chooses the third way.
- Tom Willhite

Disclaimer: I reserve the right to change my opinions should I become aware of additional facts, the falsification of information or different perspectives. Articles written by others which I post may not necessarily reflect my opinions in part or in whole, my opinions may be in direct opposition, the topic may be one on which I have yet to formulate an opinion or have doubts about, an article may be posted solely with the intent to stimulate discussion or contemplation.

InvisibleIsaacHunt
Stranger
Re: A Letter to the British People from a daughter of Iraq. [Re: Prosgeopax]
    #4410692 - 07/16/05 03:50 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

What Prosgeopax said  :thumbup:

OfflineBobo
Tongue
 User Gallery

Re: A Letter to the British People from a daughter of Iraq. [Re: IsaacHunt]
    #4410754 - 07/16/05 04:21 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Or that you both missed the parroting of a position and its language for effect in juxtaposition to Spud's posted letter. And I don't think the cold war domino affect is directly analagous to what is going on in the region right now. But, hey, it's late and I'm off to bed.

--------------------
OneMoreRobot3021 said:
pantsboy said:

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery Arcade Champion: BMX Tricks
    #4410912 - 07/16/05 07:51 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

spud just put forth serious questions which have been ignored and unanswered. I think you atleast owe it to spud to either answer his questions with respect to the topic or not respond at all with the "patriotic" american rhetoric.
Islam is a religion, and must be recognized as one. We are in a horrible re-enactment of McCarthyism, where we have replaced the word "communist" with terrorist, and replaced the correlation of "atheism=communism" with "islam=terrorist".
To say that islam incites terrorism is like saying steel incites gun violence (since guns are made of steel). Where were all the pointing fingers of terrorism at when irish catholics were bombing churches and schools? where were these fingers pointing when israeli guards bombed a palestinian school?
A malicious act can only come from a person, and not from a set of beliefs. The american government has made, through propaganda and speeches, islam to be the incarnation of terrorism, which is completely unfounded and untrue. Thousands of muslims and muslim organizations have openly and emphatically condemned the actions of terrorists as well as the actions of the british and american governments/armies.
Terrorism and malicious actions were around long before islam. You just want a scapegoat to blame and sadly an ideology and all its adherants have been generalized into being this scapegoat.

-Ana'l Haqq

Invisiblelooner2
ABBA fan

Re: A Letter to the British People from a daughter of Iraq. [Re: SneezingPenis]
    #4410933 - 07/16/05 08:24 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Ungrateful scum. It pains me that American soldiers are dying so this fuck can use the internet.

--------------------
I am in love with Acidic_Sloth

Invisiblequestion_for_joo
i'm left. youall can bite me
    #4410965 - 07/16/05 09:07 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

we should free Saddam, and then force him to take over as host of popular game show "The Price is Right". give him that long skinny microphone and all too.

--------------------
youi was a pig informatnt so you can go fuckyoruselfs

OfflineJ4S0N
human
 User Gallery

Re: A Letter to the British People from a daughter of Iraq. [Re: looner2]
    #4410996 - 07/16/05 09:30 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

ya, im sure they are happy to be bombed just to use the internet... hahaha

Some people have no empathy at all I see. American troops are not dying so Iraqies can use the Internet. I think there is enough obvious proof for that. American troops are dying to protect the interests of very wealthy people. The Iraq people are suffering because the land the live on is very valuable.

Its funny how the story changes as tiem goes on. At first Iraq was a threat, then its to give them freedom, now its because there are terrorists there.. what other reasons are there for this war again?

American = the land of hypocracy

--------------------
"The Central Intelligence Agency owns everyone of any significance in the major media." ~ William Colby, Former Director, CIA

OfflineSmallworlds
Trippin' fool -Merry Prankster

Re: A Letter to the British People from a daughter of Iraq. [Re: J4S0N]
    #4411078 - 07/16/05 10:18 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

They were cutting farts of mass destruction. Thank god we showed up when we did!

--------------------
Through the excercise of patience, one may learn humility..

Smoke plenty of green, and eat fungus!!!!
:peace::heart::slomo::gd_icon::gd_icon::gd_icon::slomo:

Trip Report

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
Re: A Letter to the British People from a daughter of Iraq. [Re: Smallworlds]
    #4411276 - 07/16/05 11:59 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

It pains me that american soldiers are dying because people like you keep going along with the war despite all of its fake reasons. I have plenty of friends in Iraq, and plenty that have come home already.
Most of the people in the US forces, are hired thugs, mercenaries, kids who sucked at life and needed discipline, direction and stability. My friends all came back to the States after 16 months in Iraq/Afghanistan with a shitload of money.
There is nothing heroic or brave about gunning down people without shirts as you sit in a humvee firing armor peircing rounds that pass through multiple persons.
I can garauntee they arent fighting for my freedom, or use of the internet. We brought terrorism upon ourselves and try to act as if it were completely unprovoked. Try doing a little historic reading and find out about what we did to afghanistan 20 years ago.
This war isnt about our freedom, it is about a small group of peoples agenda.

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
    #4411291 - 07/16/05 12:06 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

What is it that we did to Afghanistan 20 years ago? Please, enlighten me.

--------------------

Invisiblelooner2
ABBA fan

#4411304 - 07/16/05 12:11 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

psilocyberin said:
It pains me that american soldiers are dying because people like you keep going along with the war despite all of its fake reasons. I have plenty of friends in Iraq, and plenty that have come home already.
Most of the people in the US forces, are hired thugs, mercenaries, kids who sucked at life and needed discipline, direction and stability. My friends all came back to the States after 16 months in Iraq/Afghanistan with a shitload of money.
There is nothing heroic or brave about gunning down people without shirts as you sit in a humvee firing armor peircing rounds that pass through multiple persons.
I can garauntee they arent fighting for my freedom, or use of the internet. We brought terrorism upon ourselves and try to act as if it were completely unprovoked. Try doing a little historic reading and find out about what we did to afghanistan 20 years ago.
This war isnt about our freedom, it is about a small group of peoples agenda.

Another brave, emotional rant from a military hater. Funny how it comes up randomly in certain threads, but when I am obliterating these thoughts in the assigned threads, everyone sits on their hands. I would do the same here, but you make a far too easy target.

Oh, I suggest you do a little historical reading of my posts before you assume anything about my stance.

--------------------
I am in love with Acidic_Sloth

InvisibleKrishna
कृष्ण,LOL
 User Gallery

Loc: oakland
Re: A Letter to the British People from a daughter of Iraq. [Re: zappaisgod]
    #4411331 - 07/16/05 12:21 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

zappaisgod said:
What is it that we did to Afghanistan 20 years ago? Please, enlighten me.

well, assuming he means what i think he means - put in short words, aided and supported various insurgent groups in their fight against the soviet union. here is an essay that goes into the history in some detail - http://www.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/NSAEBB/NSAEBB57/essay.html

--------------------

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
Re: A Letter to the British People from a daughter of Iraq. [Re: looner2]
    #4411393 - 07/16/05 12:44 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Bascially, we used afghanistan like a cheap whore to fight the Cold War. financially backing and training Mujaheddin to rise up against the current (then) government, which caused the Soviets to dispatch 115,000 troops to afghanistan. After hundreds of thousands of lives were lost on both sides the soviet troops pulled out, as well as direct american support, leaving Afghanistan in worse shape than it was which directly enabled the Taliban to take control.
Pretty much, we used afghanistan as a front and battlefield to fight the cold war, as well as using afghanistan people to fight our wars for us as we gave factions gross sums of money to revolt and overthrow regimes which were in turn slaughtered as we kind of whistled and walked away.

Here is a great read for any of you who are actually interested in finding out in better detail....

http://www.kersplebedeb.com/mystuff/s11/afghanistan1979-1992.html

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: A Letter to the British People from a daughter of Iraq. [Re: Krishna]
    #4411396 - 07/16/05 12:46 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I read the whole of "Charlie Wilson's War". It was great. That is why I have no clue as to what he's talking about.

--------------------

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
Re: A Letter to the British People from a daughter of Iraq. [Re: zappaisgod]
    #4411425 - 07/16/05 01:00 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I cant tell if you are being cynical or serious?

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Political Discussion