Home | Community | Message Board

Vaposhop
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Agar, Microscope

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineBasidiocarp
Dr. BunsenHoneydew
Male User Gallery

Loc: Rogue's Island, USA
Some delicious, some deadly
    #4409981 - 07/16/05 12:40 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

My first interesting find today on my mushroom hunt in Rhode Island, USA was a beautiful cluster of chicken mushrooms (Laetiporous spp.):

These tasty morsels made for a nice dinner, the details of which can be found  here in the Culinary Arts Forum.

My other find of the day is a reminder of what NOT to eat.  I came across this striking duo on the forest floor a few minutes later.  Note the cup and remnants on the cap that suggest a universal veil.  Also note the partial veil.  The caps were fairly smooth to the touch, and the gills were not attached to the stem:

A quick spore print reveals white:

Putting all the clues together, I come up with one of the deadly Amanitas, most likely of the 'Destroying Angel' complex, perhaps Amanita virosa.  By all accounts, this is one of North America's most deadly mushrooms-  eep!  :eek:  Any other ideas from the experts would be appreciated...

--------------------
"...if the mind is actually part of a continuum, a labyrinth that is connected not only to every other mind that exists or has existed, but to every atom, organism, and region in the vastness of space and time itself, the fact that it is able to occasionally make forays into the labyrinth and have transpersonal experiences no longer seems so strange."

Visit the Psychonautical Society

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinemattymonkey
Feel Like aStranger...
 User Gallery

Re: Some delicious, some deadly [Re: Basidiocarp]
    #4410053 - 07/16/05 12:54 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

those are the most interesting chicken mushrooms i have ever seen!

did you clone them?? :smile:

OfflineBasidiocarp
Dr. BunsenHoneydew
Male User Gallery

Loc: Rogue's Island, USA
Re: Some delicious, some deadly [Re: mattymonkey]
    #4410147 - 07/16/05 01:10 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I didn't clone this particular cluster, but I do have a slant of a very similar bunch that I found last year. Apparently the experts aren't sure yet if this cinnamon variety is just normal species variation, or if it is a unique species. Some have called it Laetiporous cincinnatus, and that's what I'm going with for now.

The mycelium appears very aggressive on agar, so once I get it cleaned up I will do a few indoor trials on sawdust or woodchips-- I think the results could be promising.

--------------------
"...if the mind is actually part of a continuum, a labyrinth that is connected not only to every other mind that exists or has existed, but to every atom, organism, and region in the vastness of space and time itself, the fact that it is able to occasionally make forays into the labyrinth and have transpersonal experiences no longer seems so strange."

Visit the Psychonautical Society

Offlineeris
underground
Male User Gallery

Loc: North East, USA
Trusted Identifier
    #4411653 - 07/16/05 02:36 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Very cool finds

--------------------
Immortal / Temporarily Retired
The OG Thread Killer
My mushroom hunting gallery

OnlineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #4411753 - 07/16/05 03:13 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

The white ones are definitely Amanitas, but I wouldn't bet yet on a species (or even a subgenus). There are a bunch of whitish Amanita species.

The next test to try would be to get some iodine (you can get Tincture of Iodine in the first aid section at the grocery store), scrape the spores from the spore print into a little pile, and put a drop of the iodine on them. If it turns dark blue (like potatoes do) then they are amyloid and in the subgenus with the deadly Amanitas. If they stay brown (the iodine color) then they are inamyloid and belong to one of the other subgenera.

Another test you can try is the Meixner test for amatoxins. Get a piece of newsprint and some concentrated Hydrochloric Acid (you can get that at a hardware store - it'll be labeled Muriatic Acid - it's used to clean concrete). Squeeze a drop of juice from the mushroom onto the newsprint. Draw a circle around the drop with a pencil and make another circle elsewhere on the newsprint (for a control) - label which is which. Dry it out (but don't use heat or expose it to sunlight). Put a drop of the HCl in each circle and wait a few minutes. A positive test for amatoxins is a bluish color in the test circle and none in the control. Some newsprint doesn't work well and the control will also turn bluish. The Meixner test gives false positives but not false negatives, and it will detect sub-microgram levels of amatoxins (that are even too low to make you sick).

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

InvisibleMagicRooms
Hunter & Collector
Male

Loc: Australia
    #4412270 - 07/16/05 06:27 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I think you are on the right track with that Amanita. There is a very similar species to the Amanita virosa - the Amanita bisporigera which has only two spores on each basidium instead of four. To nail it dowm identification with a microscope would tell you more.

--------------------
Enjoy the world around you ...... Good Luck Hunting and Collecting. The future of shrooms depends on all of us.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Agar, Microscope

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification