Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Rye Grain, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineaustio_ferocious
Amateurmycologist

Loc: a place I call my cave.
Brown Rice... whole
    #4409430 - 07/15/05 10:35 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Has anyone else here,used Brown Rice in whole form? What's the difference? I have six jars at about 80-90% using WBS+whole Brown Rice. Is this too good to be true? Should I expect problems? Never grown a day in my life... getting nervous. :crazy2:
For casing,I am thinking of using a pooh/grain/verm. mix. Thoughts? Helpful hints, links, ect. any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks all, pics to follow. (gimme a day or so, I have to borrow a camera.)

--------------------
ARAO corp. new non-profit org. seeking startup assistance to help disaster victims, homeless, and others in need. We are in need of; Volunteer assistance- CPA & Legal services. Donations- food, clothing, office supplies/electronics, land/structures (any where on the planet), cash for same, ect. PM me for details.
IF YOU DON'T DONATE HERE, PLEASE DO IT SOMEWHERE!!!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblesoochi
Chef
 User Gallery

Loc: The Richest County
Re: Brown Rice... whole [Re: austio_ferocious]
    #4409521 - 07/15/05 10:55 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Whole brown rice got sticky and clumpy when I attempted it, then I added some verm and adjusted moisture content, but it too got smooshy and eventually contamed. I guess if one were to go at it with a scientific approach then probably a correct water to rice ratio could be achieved, but why waste time and effort when other teks have been proven?

--------------------
Wee, sleeket, cowran, tim'rous beastie,
O, what panic's in thy breastie!
Thou need na start awa sae hasty,
Wi' bickering brattle!

Offlinelemon_lw
Stranger
 Arcade Champion: Rotation

Loc: That Way
    #4409536 - 07/15/05 10:57 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

for all begginers i recomend starting with something easy so you can get a fel of the hobby. after you understand things pretty good go ahead and experiment but i cant recall anyone doing WBR and WBS

--------------------
In the belly of the Leviathan, one can either despair and perish, or be cheerful and persevere.-Dean Koontz

InvisibleHolydiver
Stranger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The midnight sea
Trusted Cultivator
    #4409543 - 07/15/05 10:59 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Whole grain brown rice kicks ass, but it's time consuming and the moisture requirements are about as strict as it gets. Better off doing WBS and spawning to poo, or rye and fruit the rye directly.

Here's my whole grain grow log, if you follow the 9er tek religiously, you can get the same results, or better:

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat...rue#Post4139226

--------------------
To find a place to live between the negatives and positives.

Offlineaustio_ferocious
Amateurmycologist

Re: Brown Rice... whole [Re: soochi]
    #4409584 - 07/15/05 11:08 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

because whole brown rice can be found at wally world. I don't consider myself very scientific, so I just mixed according to the instructions (using slightly less water than described) then added wbs and added equal parts water. Looks pretty good so far.
Notice I left out verm? yeah, I left out verm. I wish I hadn't, but i did, and they are colonizing very well, though I'm not sure about the inner regions of the jars. I'm going to do g2g's in my new glove box, just in case they don't hold up. To some jars of the same mix+verm.
Don't ask me why I left it out... I was really tired.
There is a fine line between dedication and...duh.

--------------------
ARAO corp. new non-profit org. seeking startup assistance to help disaster victims, homeless, and others in need. We are in need of; Volunteer assistance- CPA & Legal services. Donations- food, clothing, office supplies/electronics, land/structures (any where on the planet), cash for same, ect. PM me for details.

Offlineaustio_ferocious
Amateurmycologist

Re: Brown Rice... whole [Re: Holydiver]
    #4409651 - 07/15/05 11:21 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Diver said:
Whole grain brown rice kicks ass, but it's time consuming and the moisture requirements are about as strict as it gets. Better off doing WBS and spawning to poo, or rye and fruit the rye directly.

Here's my whole grain grow log, if you follow the 9er tek religiously, you can get the same results, or better:

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat...rue#Post4139226

cool I'll go check that out. Also, the colonized jars look a little mushy, but... they're colonizing. As far along as they are, do you think I'm ok, or is it highly possible to contam still? Should I do g2g's asap?

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Rye Grain, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation