Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflinePowerTrip
Polypharmaceutical Shaman
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The void
Feeling hopeless, life going nowhere.
    #4408199 - 07/15/05 04:58 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

In the four years since I have completed high school, I have done pretty much nothing that is very productive. I worked one low paying job after another. I never managed to save any money so I am living at home with my mom, and I don't even have a car. I just quit my job last week because I was driving 40 minutes each way to work only four hours a day. The job only added to the feeling of my static life because I was only making enough money to buy the essentials such as food.

I am now jobless and desperately trying to find something that will help get me out of my rut. Any decent job I come across is just a dream for me because I either don't have the required experience, or my criminal record disqualifies me(I have a DWI and trespassing charges). It doesn't help that my state has one of the highest unemployment rates in the country right now. All I ask is just a damn 40 hour a week job making $8/hr. Just enough for me to make a car payment while I go to college. Half of the jobs in the newspaper are scams and the other half require experience. I went on an interview the other day for what sounded like a great job, only to get there and find it was basically a door to door sales job.

I have been dealing with this for a few years now. I came very close to signing up for the military multiple times. It just seems like a quick escape to me. A way to move on with my life instantly and leave all of this bullshit behind me. I was about to sign up with the air force about two months ago until I spoke with a friend who is in the army. He told me that if I enlisted I would very likely get sent to Iraq because of the current shortage of people.

I just don't know where to turn anymore. If I fill out enough applications maybe I will get lucky and have one call me back. If someone else has a similar shitty feeling with the way their life is going, please post here. Misery loves company.

--------------------
I spit reality, instead of what you usually learn
and I refuse to be concerned with condescending advice
cause I'm the only motherfucker that can change my life

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleZippoZM
Knomadic
 User Gallery

Loc: Pongyang, North Korea
Re: Feeling hopeless, life going nowhere. [Re: PowerTrip]
    #4408378 - 07/15/05 05:41 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

if you want a good job, always ask to talk to the manager when turning in your application, then call back a few days later, it is the best way to get a job.

try for somthing like waiting tablese where you can interact with and meet new people

--------------------
PEACE

:mushroom2:zippoz:mushroom2:

"in times of widespread chaos and confusion, it has been the duty of more advanced human beings - artists, scientists, clowns, and philosophers - to create order. In such times as ours however, when there is too much order, too much m management, too much programming and control, it becomes the duty of superior men and women and women to fling their favorite monkey wrenches into the machinery. To relieve the repression of the human spirit, they must sow doubt and disruption"

"People do it every day, they talk to themselves ... they see themselves as they'd like to be, they don't have the courage you have, to just run with it."

Invisibleredtailedhawk
Explorer of the Mystery
 User Gallery

Loc: The Old Continent
Re: Feeling hopeless, life going nowhere. [Re: ZippoZ]
    #4409041 - 07/15/05 08:28 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

# JOB

You could do what I do - work online for customers all over the globe. It's really simple and the best part of it, you can have a criminal record mile high and nobody would give a shit about it. Not that I have one  :grin:

If you don't have any experiences in the searched for services, you can always learn new things like graphic design, web programming, writing or various other things you might be interested in. The best part of it you can learn everything you want to for free; check out some of the books in your local library or the numerous tutorials available on the Internet and you can be selling your services in a month or two.

http://www.elance.com/c/static/main/displayhtml.pl?file=eol.html&module=home

If that doesn't suit you, you can also check the job database at www.monster.com. They used to have all types of job offerings.

I hope you don't go into the military though. There are always other more hopeful alternatives (like selling drugs, prostitution, stuff like that).

# SAVING MONEY

Saving money and budgeting can be learned and the best teacher (mine was anyway) is to spend a few months or years being unemployed and broke. You should check out the book "Your Money or Your Life" by Joe Dominguez & Vicki Robin and some of the links below for more details on budgeting and living frugally.

http://www.stretcher.com/index.cfm
http://www.practicalmoneyskills.com/english/at_home/
http://www.jmooneyham.com/poor.html
http://www.directory.net/Society/Lifestyle_Choices/Voluntary_Simplicity/

# QUARTER-LIFE CRISIS

You also sound like you might be going through some sort of quarter-life crises. A lot of people in their mid-twenties experience situations similar to yours so you can find comfort in knowing that you are not alone.

http://www.quarterlifecrisis.com/forums/

Anyway, there is always a way out. It might feel like there isn't? but there is. It may take time, some sweat and bitching, some more time, but eventually you will get out of it, stronger and more resourceful than ever before.

Good luck!  :thumbup:

--------------------

"Who are you who live in all these many forms? You're death that captures all. You too are the source of all that's gonna be born. You're glory, mercy, peace, truth. You give calm a spirit, understanding, courage, the contented heart."

OfflineThe_Hobbit
Bilbo Baggins
 User Gallery

Loc: The Shire
Re: Feeling hopeless, life going nowhere. [Re: redtailedhawk]
    #4409160 - 07/15/05 09:11 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I suggest joining the air force if you decide to go the military route. My bro joined the army and he says that he wishes he joined the air force. It's a much higher quality of living and you don't have to put yourself in danger.

--------------------
Smoking my hobbit leaf...
Please keep in mind that I am just a human being. Please read my posts carefully and interpret their meaning for yourself.

OfflinePowerTrip
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Feeling hopeless, life going nowhere. [Re: The_Hobbit]
    #4409422 - 07/15/05 10:33 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Thanks for the replies.

Quote:

if you want a good job, always ask to talk to the manager when turning in your application, then call back a few days later, it is the best way to get a job.

I have found that it does help if you speak with the manager when turning in the ap. I never call the place after a few days though. The way I live my life is by trying to not be a burden on other people, but I suppose in the job market it pays to be more aggressive.

Quote:

Saving money and budgeting can be learned and the best teacher (mine was anyway) is to spend a few months or years being unemployed and broke.

Actually I had a decent job two years ago and I was laid off from it. I spent a long time on unemployment and then when it ran out things got pretty bad. When I finally got another job my work ethic had improved 100% because I was happy just to have the opportunity to be working. My money management has also improved, but I was only making about $100 per week at my job after I paid for the gas to drive there.

Quote:

I suggest joining the air force if you decide to go the military route. My bro joined the army and he says that he wishes he joined the air force. It's a much higher quality of living and you don't have to put yourself in danger.

I know that the air force is the way to go if you want to have the best experience in the military. It is not completely true that you will not get sent to war though. My long time friend is currently spending his second year in Iraq, and he informed me that some navy and air force personnel are now being forced to drive convoys in Iraq because of the shortage of people in the army. Right now is a very bad time to sign up for the military.

--------------------

InvisibleSociety
Pizza Guy

Loc: Eating pizza
    #4416182 - 07/17/05 08:51 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I don't know how much advice I can give you because... well, frankly I've applied to TWELVE jobs in the past 3 months have gotten NONE. Not even a call. Unemployment is hard.

Have you considered finding a factory or type of production facility? They usually hire entry-level labor for 40+ hours and 8.50 an hour in my state.

--------------------
Delicious Pizza

InvisibleFucknuckle
Dog Lover

#4416222 - 07/17/05 09:07 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

You have the greatest atributes for sucess and finacial bliss. YOU HAVE WHAT IT TAKES

Follow me here

To save money you need to not spend it right ?

Well you already know how to live broke. You have been doing it for 4 years. So you know how to save. Can you live broke when you have money ? Of course you can. Spend all your money on tommorow. Tommorow is expensive. Tommororw costs your entire pay check. Tommorow takes all you got.

If have a Job where your only making 20 bucks after costs to get there your 20 bucks ahead on paying for tommorrow. Tommorow has to be as tangable as gas in your car. Quiting is your problem stop quitting.A job is only a step on your ladder

To quit is to say your not good enough for tommorow.

Your good enough to wipe your ass, your good enough to breath tommorows air.

Your problem is not a lack of education or a lack of a good job. Your problem is not being in love of what your potential is.

You deseve all that you deserve. Without sounding simple and insulting
Let me say this

STOP BEING A CRY BABY AND GET YOUR ASS BACK TO WORK AND WORK

Then live as broke as you are now. Do this until your use to living broke while making cash.Once you over come this tiny complication you then can move on to a plan.

Part 2

Goals and a list

Make a list of the things you love to do......... Not drugs LOL

Then make a list of what you think it will take to get to the things you want.

YOU MUST WRITE THEM DOWN and put then on your wall. Look at then everyday.

Then every day make sure you are crossing something off that list. If you do this and get into the habit of crossing of the list and adding to the list EVERYDAY combined with living broke. YOU WILL HAVE ALL YOU COULD EVER IMAGINE.

BE aware that many people have no clue as to what living broke is and the lessons it can teach you. And many people who do live broke never see what golden lesson they are learning.

OPen your eyes and see the real possiablites you have before you. You are not constrained by anything. The world is your play ground.

But even when you build a playground it still takes work

One more thing........ A job is not the only out for you. Start a company with no cash and apply these pricipals I gave you to it.

Start a company with no cash no job nothing!!!!!! What the ....

Short example of someone I know........... 19 years old no job nothing. He decieded he wanted to be a realstate tycoon. So he starts a landscaping, lawn service company developed around sevrice for realestate sales people. What he did was in Fall he called all the landscaping companys in the area and asked fro quotes on different servies on his mom's house. After learning what to charge his customers he then waited ubtil Feburary and on his bike started going to realestate agents in his area and asked if there were any houses they had for sale or any rentals they needed serviced. He offered a discount package if they paid 50% down now and 50% in August. He got alot of no's but many yes's. Once he had about 8 grand toghter he bought a truck and equipment etc.........

5 years later he is very weathy and has 4 crews working for him. He is now pursuing his house buying. He is living his dream.

WITH ZERO START UP CASH

but he used a list and goals and updated every day......... On and on

You can do anything. Your worth it :heart:

Edited by Fucknuckle (07/17/05 09:20 PM)

OfflinePowerTrip
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Feeling hopeless, life going nowhere. [Re: Fucknuckle]
    #4416630 - 07/17/05 11:07 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

If have a Job where your only making 20 bucks after costs to get there your 20 bucks ahead on paying for tommorrow. Tommorow has to be as tangable as gas in your car. Quiting is your problem stop quitting.A job is only a step on your ladder

I appreciate the advice, I just wanted to clear something up. The amount of money I was making at my job was so miserable that I could not have possibly made a car payment while working there. I could have kept working there while looking for another job, but it is difficult to fill out job aps when you are busy every day in a dead end job. I quit so I could focus all of my attention on finding a new job. Being jobless is also a huge motivational factor since I will soon feel the pain of having no cash. I have only been out of work for a week now and I have already been on one interview. I plan on pounding the pavement tomorrow also.

--------------------

Offlineeve69
--=..Did Adam and ...?=--
Male User Gallery

Loc: isle de la muerte Flag
    #4418463 - 07/18/05 11:54 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Well, you can do what I did and go to college. Best part, student loans and free money. Sure you'll be seriously in debt after but so what?

If you have bad school records then there are open admissions universities. Like Naropa in Boulder, CO.

--------------------
...or something

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being