Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibletimmyowner811
Happy

Loc: Arizona
Need some feedback from the all knowledgeable ones
    #4406367 - 07/15/05 12:05 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Ok, here is my set up (almost all of the materials I have):

I believe it is a 48 gallon or somewhere around there tupperware with a lid that has hinges on one end. This tub is angle on one end. It was the best I could find at home depot but there is enough room for 6 cakes. The substrate
is coming soon, 1/2 pint birdseed jars from earthstongue. Now I have an aquarium pump and heater, the cheapest and smallest they had at Petsmart. The heater is going in a skinny shrimp cocktail jar and placed or hung up in the terrarium to keep it around 80 for incubating, and eventually a few degrees higher for fruiting. To humidify this thing I will be using perlite with sterile water and a little peroxide. This is where I really need advice on. I also got a small aquarium pump and a bubblewand about 8 in long. I plan on placing it under the perlite. Its not a big pump so I am contemplating running it all the time. I just wanted to know if I am over doing the humidity with the bubblewand and all. Next, I have a blue iguana light about 40 watts. How much light do they need after I birth them? Other specs are a wire frame a tad higher over the perlite that I plan on placing the cakes on to expose their underside to the humidity of the chamber. Ill be placing wet vermiculite over the top for added hydration. Whew, well thats my plan for this setup. I'm growing Taz's. This is my first time growing so I want this all to be perfect. Any feedback and advice on all this will be helpful. Sorry this post wasn't shorter, just a lot of info. Thanks and thank god for the SHROOMERY!!!!!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Need some feedback from the all knowledgeable ones [Re: timmyowner811]
    #4407416 - 07/15/05 10:31 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

The bubblewand is for air exchange, not humidity. Humidity will be at 90-99% with perlite though, and you cant "overdo it" really. If humidity is to high, you just put some holes in the container or crack the lid.

12 hours a day for light is best.

Make sure when you dunk your cakes, after dunking and taking out of the water, roll in dry steril verm and cover all the sides...then put a little extra verm on the top..all that will help hold in moisture.

And the post wasnt short, but you might get more feedback if you split it better into easier to read paragraphs then one long one. Gets hard for those of us with wierd eyes :smirk: I know I do it enough too when I get rambling...always something to watch though :smile:

:goodluck:

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offlinecoda
Banjo Goiter
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Need some feedback from the all knowledgeable ones [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4407468 - 07/15/05 11:11 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

btw you want to lower temps for fruiting not raise them. You might also be better off placing the bubble wand in a jar of water since people say perlite clogs up the bubble wands.

--------------------
To get really high is to forget yourself. And to forget yourself is to see everything else. And to see everything else is to become an understanding molecule in evolution, a conscious tool of the universe. And I think every human being should be a conscious tool of the universe. . . .

-JG

i really am glad you came back to us instead of taking the other path. *hug*

-A_S (RIP your final words to me will never be forgotten)

Don't fuck with the laughing jesus.

OfflineZeroArmy27
I didn't go to work for a month.

Loc: Middle of nowhere
Re: Need some feedback from the all knowledgeable ones [Re: coda]
    #4407502 - 07/15/05 11:27 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

perlite DOES clog up bubble wands.

on top of the dunk 'n roll, i'd suggest double end casing. really increased my fruits with cakes.

oh, and listen to scatmanrav. he knows his shit. :smile:

--------------------
"a monkey would fuck you up if you tried to put it in a autoclave" - Psychoslut

"it's not like the admins and mods are a tight-knit group of hippies that spend their life together in a log cabin tie-dying shirts and stringing beads inbetween bonghits." - Wiccan_Seeker

OfflineSandalFan
Stranger

Re: Need some feedback from the all knowledgeable ones [Re: ZeroArmy27]
    #4407578 - 07/15/05 12:01 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Probably a stupid question, but . . . .What exactly is double end casing? I was under the impression you just put the cakes directly on the geolite/hydroton in the PMP

OfflineHippieChick
Chicks can do it too!
Female User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Need some feedback from the all knowledgeable ones [Re: SandalFan]
    #4407710 - 07/15/05 12:43 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

This is D.E.C and what Scat was talking about when he suggested verm on top,

i found little trays at a nursery for a nickel and use those. Like to keep my chambers clean.

Good Luck and do some more reading, it'll help ya out immensely.

Peace,Love,Happiness and Harmony.
:heart: Hippie Chick  :mushroom2:

--------------------
Peace,Love and Happiness
:heart: HC :mushroom2:

Freedoms just another word for nothing left to lose..............

I LUV My Greenhouse
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/5545848#5545848

My First Pans
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/6212058#6212058

Invisibletimmyowner811
Happy

Loc: Arizona
Re: Need some feedback from the all knowledgeable ones [Re: SandalFan]
    #4407716 - 07/15/05 12:45 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks for the feedback guys. Although, how would I set that bubblewand up. The other tek used geolite I wonder if that doesnt clog. For air exchange I'm also thinking about a coffee filtered vent down near the base. Best I can think of. But the air pump wont reduce the humidity in the chamber will it? And about fruiting temperatures...I guess its, what, around 86 for incubating which means you would have to set the heater a little lower, but for pinning and fruiting whats a good temp. Your right I think 80 is the right temp for fruiting but I heard Taz don't need a temp drop or cold shock.

OfflineHippieChick
Chicks can do it too!
Female User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Need some feedback from the all knowledgeable ones [Re: timmyowner811]
    #4407742 - 07/15/05 12:53 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Use some poly-fil stuffed holes for air exchange. Fruiting temps should be between 70-78 degrees, i like 74 myself. Wand can aid humidity a very little.

Look at pic's of what everybody else did and do what is best for you. Read and look at some pic,s.

--------------------
Peace,Love and Happiness

I LUV My Greenhouse

My First Pans

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Need some feedback from the all knowledgeable ones [Re: HippieChick]
    #4407859 - 07/15/05 01:33 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

For temps, mycelium colonizes best at 86*. Jars generate some heat so you keep the incubator at 80-83 degrees. ALL cubies LIKE a temperature drop, anywhere from 1-10 degrees..10 degree drop is great to temps as hippie chick says..but you CAN fruit in high 70's low 80s...just got to make sure you watch out for overlay and all that and keep the rest of the conditions perfect (especially lots of fresh air and dont let anything dry out in the higher temps).

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

OfflineHippieChick
Chicks can do it too!
Female User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #4407976 - 07/15/05 01:57 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Hey Scat, what's up ? I've got a 40 pound poo casing right now that I can't get to stop it's vegatative growth. It's colonizing everything. Keep expecting to wake up one morning and see my Hubby covered in white fuzz,lol. Might have to try a cold shock. They were incubated at room temp so it had no real temp. drop. What do you think ?

I'm using a 60/40 verm coir. I know coir tends to get overly colonized, but all the smaller ones that went in the same time are already fruiting.

--------------------
Peace,Love and Happiness

I LUV My Greenhouse

My First Pans

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #4408117 - 07/15/05 02:41 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Well the coir thing isnt helping..if you can cool it down or put a fan on it you may help it out a bit. Cold shock would be good.

Best thing though I've found is in my room (HEPA always running, mostly clean) I pull out my casings when they look perfect and I want pins NOW or in a day..lay them al out on my bed under ambiant light with the window open during the day. Right now its so hot window is closed and A/C is on but the a/c pulls in air off the roof of the apartment I believe so thats fresh air... Remove the lid if there is one and let them soak in the fresh air and light. The slight humidity drop is good and the drying out stops the mycelium from continuing into the casing surface. The trick is to mist it a few times throughout that to not let it dry out, or itll start to shrink and really dry out..and then when it goes back into the chamber keep humidity lower on it for the night, do it again the next day...then when it goes back in that night water delivery and humidity again become important because your pinset should be there within a day. Kinda like a dry/fresh air shock..

--------------------

OfflineHippieChick
Chicks can do it too!
Female User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #4408139 - 07/15/05 02:46 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks Scat , I'll give it a try. Have two HEPA filters in my room so all should be O.K. It's only the big one. Think I'm gonna go 70/30 verm. coir until I start using peat. Just don't have the room to work it right now.

--------------------
Peace,Love and Happiness

I LUV My Greenhouse

My First Pans

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #4408278 - 07/15/05 03:15 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Peat was such an easy switch I'm glad I made. I just get potting soil thats peat based with no nutes or ferts added from walmart, add some pulverized limestone from there (2 bucks, 50 lbs), and some verm...eye ball it all on the giant strainer, and can go from picking the things up at the stores, walking in, and 20 quarts worth in PP bags full and PCing in 30 minutes. Give it a shot as soon as you can.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix