Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Coir, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblecapitan
ready steady go
can mushroom mycelium outcompete molds?
    #4405033 - 07/14/05 08:26 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

is there ever a chance that shroom mycelium could outcompete green or grayish molds in colonizing a jar?

the reason i ask is i had some pf jars that showed contamination soon after inoculation. 2 of them looked like they were already totally overrun with green/gray molds, but a few of them the mold looked contained to a tiny spot and the mycelium of the mushrooms looked like they were in control of the jar. is there hope for these jars, or should i just destroy them now?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
 User Gallery

Loc: USA Mountain Northwest
Trusted Cultivator
Re: can mushroom mycelium outcompete molds? [Re: capitan]
    #4405371 - 07/14/05 09:52 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Toss them out. If a substrate is in the fruiting stages and a bit of green shows up, it should immediately be taken outside to finish up. The fruits will be safe to eat, but the green will contaminate your growing areas, so the jars need to be removed as soon as molds are spotted. If you see green before fruits form, simply toss the whole jar out. If you want to save the jar itself, pc it for an hour or two before opening.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

InvisibleNecco
Thread Killer
 User Gallery Arcade Champion: Claque Beignet Engine, Kick Ups, Othello, Pedestrian Killer

Loc: west of a white house
Re: can mushroom mycelium outcompete molds? [Re: capitan]
    #4733165 - 09/29/05 08:51 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

I am one of those novice growers who tries to cut every corner to figure out why somebody put them there.
My very first grow I tried liquid mycelium culture, pf cake, cased pf cake with vm/coir and then WBS inoculated from young mycelium culture, all of these done relatively at the same time.
My liquid culture grew mycelium like mad (inoculated one WBS jar) and then stopped (after which I innnoculated another). The first jar came out fine, the second had bacterial contamination. Whitish, slimy, wet, foot stinky bacterial contamination. The first jar completed fine and is sitting in a fresh casing now, just poking through the surface. Almost ready for it's battle with cobweb.
OK, so here is the point, two of my pf jars were GT, two were GC. The GT jars worked fine, but I put them in the same terrarium and the cased cake I cased with uncooked coir and verm. The coir/verm became contaminated with cobweb (the wispy short grey kind that is not very thick). From that casing it probably spread to the cake, both of them became fuzzy. Both produced mushrooms, but relatively few and small in size. The yield from the first flush, total, from the two GT cakes were about 4 dry grams.
The GC cakes on the other hand were contaminated in the jar, both with what looked like the slimy bacteria, what looks like cobweb, and what looks like pink or reddish cobweb (ooh, pretty). Anyway, I got scared and trashed one, but then got curious so I let the other one hang. The GC trashed the bacteria, cobweb and the pink shit. In other words, it won. The mycelium took over parts of the cake that were contaminated and fully spread through the cake. I now have it sitting in a quarantine terrarium awaiting the fruits.
In other words, with mold it will still fruit, but doesn't appear to kill it in the casing. The mycelia do on the other hand appear to have a very good chance of winning on substrate, at least one strain, and on rice flour.

Honestly, I don't know how to avoid cobweb at this point. If it spreads through the air, I would need a whole sterile room to avoid it. Fuck that. Where exactly would the air exchange come in? If I were to use a sterile environment even for the fruits I would end up paying more than I would if I bought mushrooms from the guy on the corner.

One interesting thing to note: when dunked, the cakes developed a shiny appearance like they were wrapped with saran wrap. They didn't appear to absorb any water. I'm pretty sure that the mold created the saran wrap and prevented water from entering the casing. Until I get my camera back nobody gets to see :frown:

Invisiblesrgtm1a
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: can mushroom mycelium outcompete molds? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #4737564 - 09/30/05 05:59 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Toss them out. If a substrate is in the fruiting stages and a bit of green shows up, it should immediately be taken outside to finish up. The fruits will be safe to eat, but the green will contaminate your growing areas, so the jars need to be removed as soon as molds are spotted.  If you see green before fruits form, simply toss the whole jar out.  If you want to save the jar itself, pc it for an hour or two before opening.
RR

:thumbup: :thumbup:

and mubba, your post is very hard to read....you need to space it out more...people won't read it otherwise.  Not trying to be a dick, just some helpful advice.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Coir, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum