Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineaustio_ferocious
Amateurmycologist

Loc: a place I call my cave.
oak whiskey barrels... grow logs?
    #4398188 - 07/12/05 11:34 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I found used, oak, whiskey barrels at wally-world and was wondering if anyone has ever used anything like that. I guess I will know the results in a few days to a week. I knocked up many jars with many different substrates, hopefully this attempt (#2) will be a little better. I am hoping to grow some reishi mushrooms with wbs+corn+whiskey barrel saw dust and pieces.
Also, some of the jars look too dry and some too wet, can I add sterilized water through a sterile syringe, AND can I take a culture syringe from the jars that are too wet, by suckin it up with a sterile syringe?
Jars were knocked up from spores three days ago.
Thanks for the help.

p.s. some jars look great and are already showing growth!

--------------------
ARAO corp. new non-profit org. seeking startup assistance to help disaster victims, homeless, and others in need. We are in need of; Volunteer assistance- CPA & Legal services. Donations- food, clothing, office supplies/electronics, land/structures (any where on the planet), cash for same, ect. PM me for details.
IF YOU DON'T DONATE HERE, PLEASE DO IT SOMEWHERE!!!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinemickeymicmic
word

Re: oak whiskey barrels... grow logs? [Re: austio_ferocious]
    #4398416 - 07/13/05 12:51 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

not sure what the whiskey barrels use is? as for injecting sterilized water, it should be fine, but its risky and most likely unneccessary. personally i wouldnt do it, but it would probably work. as for taking out water as a culture syringe, you could possibly take some out considering there was so much that it was a pool at the bottom, but i wouldnt assume it had myc in it, cause if it doesnt look colonized there probably wont be enough in it.

Offlineaustio_ferocious
Amateurmycologist

Re: oak whiskey barrels... grow logs? [Re: mickeymicmic]
    #4399031 - 07/13/05 07:57 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

most of the jars seem to be colonizing, if I see any growth in the wet ones, then I'll try it, though they are soaking up more water as they go. Kind of strange, since I pc'd them for an hour. It's not easy to get the right consistency. The barrell is not treated with anything that I know of, I asked but that doesn't mean I got the right answer. It seems the whiskey curing would make for some good wood for shrooms, I just hoped someone knew for sure whether they have been treated with chemicals.
I'm glad I knocked up so many jars. Hopefully, I'll be able to keep them alive and happy, and actually grow some shrooms.
If the wood works, I wanna make grow logs and bulk substrates with it. It stabilized the moisture really, really well... Really well. I used it in some of the later jars.

--------------------
ARAO corp. new non-profit org. seeking startup assistance to help disaster victims, homeless, and others in need. We are in need of; Volunteer assistance- CPA & Legal services. Donations- food, clothing, office supplies/electronics, land/structures (any where on the planet), cash for same, ect. PM me for details.

Offlineblackout
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #4399203 - 07/13/05 09:38 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I distil and many barrels in garden centres are treated and unusable. They are usually for decoration and get treated to stop mould growing on them. Many are untreated, they are more likely to lie to you and say it is treated, as a treated one is usually more sought after and expensive. If it is untreated you can make a bit of money chopping it up and selling it to distillers!

Offlineaustio_ferocious
Amateurmycologist

Re: oak whiskey barrels... grow logs? [Re: blackout]
    #4399255 - 07/13/05 10:03 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I think it probably is untreated. If it is, do you think my mushies will like it? It was freakin' cheap as for the price of wood these days. 18$ for about 30 pieces appx. 1"x21/2"x30". I've only used one slat for about three cups of dust and chips. Looked like dry salt in the bottom when I purchased it. Everything else is showing growth, though they were inoculated a day later than the rest, and I'm thinking it would take longer to colonize no matter what, because if the density of the wood.
If it's any good, I will make up bags to giveaway and trade.
I guess, if it would be worth it, I could sell it.
shall I report on colonization of the jars containing this wood, as this would be a good indication of whether they are treated?
The mushroom is "Reishi." :crazy2:
I think I'll put some in some mulch and let it cure for a while...
(Zebra/horse pooh mix) Not all, just an experiment.

--------------------

Edited by austio_ferocious (07/13/05 10:11 AM)

Invisiblemetasin
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: oak whiskey barrels... grow logs? [Re: blackout]
    #4399259 - 07/13/05 10:06 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

If you're just gonna cut it up anyway, why don't you just find oak firewood?

Offlineblackout
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #4399260 - 07/13/05 10:07 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Offlineaustio_ferocious
Amateurmycologist

Re: oak whiskey barrels... grow logs? [Re: metasin]
    #4399287 - 07/13/05 10:20 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Cuz' it was right there. I have been in contact with local firewood suppliers and will have oak firewood soon enough. If this other would work for grow logs, it would be well worth doing. Besides, it's whiskey cured, and I like whiskey. It's kinda cool. Whiskey cured grow logs... maybe I'm the only one. :tongue2:

--------------------

Offlineaustio_ferocious
Amateurmycologist

#4404868 - 07/14/05 05:20 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

They suck so far. I have almost fully colonized jars of wbs and brown rice (whole) and the ones with wood are doing nothing.

--------------------

Invisiblemetasin
Stranger
 User Gallery

#4404880 - 07/14/05 05:25 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

In one day?

Offlineaustio_ferocious
Amateurmycologist

Re: oak whiskey barrels... grow logs? [Re: metasin]
    #4408932 - 07/15/05 06:06 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

No it's been a week. Well, only five or six days for the jars with the oak, they are starting to stink already. Oh well, I have six jars that are about 80-90%, and some pan cyans... in thailand, that are just starting to show signs of life. Also made three syringes today (after staying up all night making a glove box)! I like having prints as opposed to just buying a syringe, it gives a newb some really good experience. The jars that are colonized came from syringes, except the pans, I made the syringe from a print. :wink:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale