Home | Community | Message Board

Azarius
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Coir

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineclosetgrower
Stranger

oysters in jars?
    #4404028 - 07/14/05 04:12 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

heres what i'd like to do. i have read about growing oysters in jars on sterilized sub. but what i would like to do is use a pasturized substrate like wheat straw in the jars. has anyone tried this? i was going to use bags but thought jars would be easyer to start with and take up less room. i could easily mix the spawn with the straw and shove it into the jars(wrapped in foil). once they colinize i can remove the lid, drop the temp and exchange air. this should produce results, right? you tell me. thanx :mushroom2: :thumbup:

--------------------
Into this house we're born, into this world we're thrown.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinemattymonkey
Feel Like aStranger...
 User Gallery

Re: oysters in jars? [Re: closetgrower]
    #4404045 - 07/14/05 04:16 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

dont know bout the wrapped in tinfoil bit, but pasteurized substrates require far less filtering then sterilized substrates.. in other words, a small towel on top of the jar with the lid placed gently on it should suffice to give it the air it needs, keep the humidity in, and block any well bugs that may get in.. once its fully colonized yes, just open it up and put it somewhere humid, maybe mist or something, and mushrooms will fruit....

you can easily do this with a 5 gallon plastic bucket.. just fill the bucket up with straw/cardboard/newspaper, etc.. pour in boiling water and seal up.. let sit for an hour, then drain WELL... after it cools just mix in your spawn and gently place the cover back on, not sealing it at all.. you can put a damp towel in between the cover and bucket at this point if you'd like but if it should be fine.. then once its fully colonized just open it up and mist the sides of the bucket on the inside once or twice a day.. mushrooms should appear a week or so after fully colonized..

good luck!

Offlineclosetgrower
Stranger

Re: oysters in jars? [Re: mattymonkey]
    #4404941 - 07/14/05 07:43 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

nice tips thank you! i would wrap jars in foil to prevent side pinning. i think tyvek over jars with lid rings is what i'll use.
it works good for grains. noobie to oysters any advise is helpfull.

--------------------
Into this house we're born, into this world we're thrown.

Offlinemattymonkey
Feel Like aStranger...
 User Gallery

#4404948 - 07/14/05 07:46 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

yea the tyvek thing will work just fine, the foil on the side to prevent side pinning sounds great too.. gl on your first oyster grow :smile:

Offlinexburn
V card
    #4406763 - 07/15/05 04:24 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

wathc your humidity after they pin they dont need much.. also watch out for high c02 i have done some pf tek lateley and the are delicous

--------------------
Check out the official MushroomWiki at http://www.mushroomwiki.com. Stop by and contribute.

Offlinemattymonkey
Feel Like aStranger...
 User Gallery

Re: oysters in jars? [Re: xburn]
    #4407085 - 07/15/05 08:28 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

i have never understood why people think they dont need much humidity after they pin.. yes, when they are pinning that is the most essential/delicate part where they need the most, but if they dont have a fairly decent amount, say 80-90%, the caps will crack..

xburn- what makes you say this? have you had experience where they needed little? or where adversely affected by having too much?

Offlinedoc34
Fungitarian
Male User Gallery

Loc: Myceliaville !!!
    #4407147 - 07/15/05 09:47 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Excuse me, but, there is no need to cover anything with anything to avoid pinning when fruiting Oysters,they will only pin where there is fresh air available.Hence the poking of holes in substrate bags and Oysters only fruiting from the tops of jars used in Commercial Growing.

And they do need humidity to a certain extent.Just not as much.

Growth Parameters For Pleurotus Ostreatus

Just my two cents

:cool: :thumbup:

--------------------

Offlinexburn
V card
    #4408494 - 07/15/05 06:05 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

mattymonkey said:

xburn- what makes you say this? have you had experience where they needed little? or where adversely affected by having too much?

yes as a matter of fact i have. i have grown em multiple times and this is what happens to me when i have to high of humidity.

i am not saying no humidity. I am just saying that most people on these boards grow cubes which you can leav in a PMP with high humidity with little to no problems. if you ar egoing to grow off a cake i recomend pmp or a high humidity enviroment for pinning but then once they pin just put them in a tupper where open to the air with some air. you'll have low co2 levels and will get very nice humidity still. Misting 3-5 times a day until they are abour 1/2 grown and then mist as needed to keep them from cracking. this has worked for me sucessfully many a time. not saying keep it at 60% humidity just saying be careful.

--------------------
Check out the official MushroomWiki at http://www.mushroomwiki.com. Stop by and contribute.

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #4408515 - 07/15/05 06:11 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

that looks like a case of too little air exchange or too much CO2 to me, xburn.

--------------------
buh

Offlinexburn
V card
Re: oysters in jars? [Re: shirley knott]
    #4409354 - 07/15/05 10:10 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

yeah that was one thing i foudn was a problem but the get fuzzy too, i found. real fuzzy and es no bueno.

--------------------

Offlinemattymonkey
Feel Like aStranger...
 User Gallery

#4409362 - 07/15/05 10:12 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

yes the fuzziness is a sign of too high of humidity.. i have encounterd that and i feel it makes the mushrooms not last as long in the fridge...

right now we are growing them in a room with cement floors and it is AMAZING how much moisture the cement holds... we use no misters or humidity gauges at all but the mushrooms seem to do amazingly well, perfect really... all we do is water the floor once or twice a day.

i wonder if getting cinder blocks for the marthas is an option.. :wink:

Offlinexburn
V card
    #4411284 - 07/16/05 12:04 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

that is an interesting idea. about what temperatures do you keep your rooms matmonkey? a nd who do you sell to?

--------------------

Offlinemattymonkey
Feel Like aStranger...
 User Gallery

#4411301 - 07/16/05 12:10 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

no heating right now, it stays pretty cool id say 68-73.. things can grow slow but its nice not having to heat or do anything really, just let everything take care of itself.. low resources, im not big on using a bunch of electricty or kerosone... during incubation we did use a thermostat connected to a kerosene heater and that worked well..

we are just starting this project but we will be selling mainly to health food stores, we are a certified organic operation and there is noone else in our region really growing mushrooms.. the local community really likes to get things well local, so all the health food stores around are really excited about this prospect.. i live in vermont and there is actually a fairly large health food community, at least one store in almost every third town..

we are just about to start the next batch, which i believe will be the first to go out to the public.. i am thinking of doing a rainbow of oysters, pink, blue and white.. i dont have a golden culture yet but add that in later.. sell them all mixed, i think it would go over well.. i am thinking of charging $9/lb wholesale but we will have to see....

Offlinemattymonkey
Feel Like aStranger...
 User Gallery

#4411309 - 07/16/05 12:13 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

also as a side note, hope its OK we are using this thread for this discussion.. we pasteurized the straw in a 55 gallon drum w/ wood heat.. just put the drum on cinder blocks and made a fire underneath... took awhile but it was fun, we are thinking of building a small trench underneath it next time to allow us to build a larger fire and make it a little easier... we also did not chop the straw but maybe it came a bit chopped already in the bales? everything seemed to work fine, im a bit poor right now so its nice to improvise as much as possible :wink:

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
 User Gallery

Loc: USA Mountain Northwest
Trusted Cultivator
    #4413156 - 07/16/05 11:53 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Jars?
Don't use straw, it doesn't have enough nutes, so needs to be in a much larger container. This is wood chips, coir and coffee grinds.
RR

A coffee can however will give you a larger substrate, therefore more mushrooms.

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

Offlinemattymonkey
Feel Like aStranger...
 User Gallery

Re: oysters in jars? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #4414194 - 07/17/05 10:11 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

btw RR, *love* the videos on your site! specially the oyster one!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Coir

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms