Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Boomr Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineGatorade
A-With-A-Teeth-A

Forced to Rush... Bummer
    #4401776 - 07/13/05 10:18 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

So I was doing everything someone is supposed to do when trying to grow a casing. I made brf cakes, grounded them up and mixed them in with h/poo. Then I was handed the opportunity to go to Las Vegas over the summer and realized my shrooms wouldn't be ready by then... and I wanted to take some with me.

I have 2 11x13 tubs that are 4" deep of substrate that I just placed into my fruiting chamber. The shortcuts I was forced to take was not letting it completely colonize, I'd say its 95% there, just some dark spots on the top. And no casing layer either.

So I was expecting around 5oz originally with the casings. But do you think less then 3 weeks will be enough to pull off a few ounces? I know patience is always key but I can afford it now so I just have to do it this way. Casing layers ain't essential as far as I know, but I don't know the draw back of not waiting till its 100% colonized, poor pin set maybe?

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinethegaruda
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Forced to Rush... Bummer [Re: Gatorade]
    #4402154 - 07/14/05 01:00 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

isn't life just full of trade offs, too bad they are like this. im kinda new to this but i would imagine that you would get poor pinning, and irregular flushes, also alot more room for cantams to set in.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Forced to Rush... Bummer [Re: thegaruda]
    #4402585 - 07/14/05 06:42 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

3 weeks...hell I have spawn runs I havnt even started yet making the poo for yet that will be done in three weeks. Should take 1 week to colonize the poop, add a casing layer and incubate for 2 more days, fruit, pins in 3-4 days, harvested and dried 1 week after pins...2 1/2 weeks if all goes well..I dont need them for 3 1/2 weeks so I got an extra week too.

I'd case them with a light layer just barly covering it, if nothing else to cover the uncolonized areas so they're less likly to contaminate. It should only take another day or two for the tub to finish colonizing though, then add a casing layer, and even figuring 3 days before you fruit it (so 5 total from now before fruiting it), pins show up in 3-6 days (we'll say 6 for a big estimate) then are ready to harvest in 7 (probably more like 5, but were rounding up here) and dried 2 das later (if you dont have a dehydrator)...thats still 5+6+7+2 days, under 3 weeks, with everything colonized, a casing layer on, everything done right, not rushed, and over estimating how long each stage should take if everything is optimal.

How much youll yeild from that depends on you and how perfectly you do everything...if it were ME and not you with the casings, I could expect about 5 or 6 ounces...that would be a great pinset, solid mushrooms and solid flush though, that parts up to you.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offlinelardnar
Pu Pu Platter
Male

Loc: Behind what appears
Re: Forced to Rush... Bummer [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4402769 - 07/14/05 08:44 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

does it matter if he cases since he isn't going to worry about later flushes?

--------------------
If your soul is sence this life is lost ...

Offlinethegaruda
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Forced to Rush... Bummer [Re: lardnar]
    #4402775 - 07/14/05 08:47 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

i would help prevent contams from even entering the system, also every contam that invades the colony the myc have ot fight it off taking energy away from mushies growing.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Forced to Rush... Bummer [Re: lardnar]
    #4403001 - 07/14/05 10:00 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

lardnar said:
does it matter if he cases since he isn't going to worry about later flushes?

He doesnt "have to" but it helps the first flush too, not just later flushes. Plus since hes birthing it uncolonized, those spots are gonna be getting alot of fresh air (they should be anyway) and alot more chance of contaming then when incubating. So a thin layer would just provide a little protection, and would also hold in moisture and bridge the gap on those spots, which will make them colonize faster.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

OfflineGatorade
A-With-A-Teeth-A

Re: Forced to Rush... Bummer [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4403719 - 07/14/05 01:10 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks for the input guys. I know 3 weeks seems like a long time, and I had once thought that it would be more then enough time to do exactly how I had planned. This seem to be far from ideal when it comes to grow times for me. I have been trying to spawn these tubs of h/poo for over two weeks, they just are not going fast at all. I check every three days and barely notice a difference, finally when I saw rizos going through everything I couldn't wait any longer.

I did spawn the h/poo from already colonized h/poo that I broke up. Maybe because I did it this way it took so much longer then it should have. It was 25% spawn so I'd think it'd be fast.

So I continued to wait and wait with my deadline approaching. Then when I did a routine check I saw on one of the tubs pins had been starting to form. This triggered me to have a 'alright fuck you casing' attitude so I threw them into the fruiting chamber. I had the lights on for 12 hours and noticed some healthy looking pins forming... not a lot though, I'm hoping there will be more in two days when I check.

As for the other tub of shit, it had no pins on it, but I wanted to fruit them together. So I left the lights on, did the fresh air thing, and checked the next day... no pins at all. Seeing that this didn't have anything growing on it, last night I threw a thin layer of casing on top, maybe a quarter of an inch. After that I put it into the fruiting chamber a long side the other tub with no casing.

What frustrates me the most is the colonizing time its taking. At first I spawned one tub with 5 brf cakes that I grounded up. Three days later and it was almost 100%. I broke that big h/poo tub up and mixed it with more shit to double it into 2 tubs. Then everything just stopped for a few days... then slowly it started to colonize again. Almost 3 weeks later from that date and its not 100%. The shit was the same used earlier but separately pasteurized.

My setup is a mono-tub style, strain is South American, and this is my first attempt ever at growing shrooms.

Images are forthcoming...

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #4403763 - 07/14/05 01:16 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

It wasnt 25% spawn...the spawn is what started from spores or the LC, the grain in the first poo. You probably had 25% spawn in the spawn, which was 25%, so only 1/4 of 1/4 was spawn, thats 1/16 spawn. Its the same mycelium from the same grains, but those grains had to spend energy colonizing ALL that poo, and then more. If you use poo thats already been spawned as spawn, you need more like 50%, especially if its went through some flushes. Even without it going through flushes though, you used 5 cakes to colonize every bit of poo you get in there, however much poo youve used on this grow...no matter how you do it (some poo first, then break it up, or just put all the poo in from the start, same thing).

Of course colonization time has nothing to do with fruiting, neither time nor size....

--------------------

OfflineGatorade
A-With-A-Teeth-A

#4403901 - 07/14/05 01:43 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Scat... thanks a lot for that info

I was so confused why the hell it was doing this.

So essentially, taking the 5 cakes, breaking them up and mixing with one tub, then breaking that up and doubling it would be the same as taking 2.5 cakes and mixing it in with 2 tubs to begin with.

Interesting... we live we learn.

I expect my second attempt to be much more fruitiful. (pun?)

--------------------

Invisiblemyndreach
philosopher
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #4403918 - 07/14/05 01:48 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Don't worry Gatorade, you will be fine. 3 weeks is plenty of time to get a few flushes out of that.

OfflineGatorade
A-With-A-Teeth-A

Re: Forced to Rush... Bummer [Re: myndreach]
    #4403964 - 07/14/05 01:57 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I'm keeping my fingers crossed... I plan on taking an oz to Vegas and trading an oz for an oz of weed. Should be a pretty intense trip, and I mean that in both ways. I don't think I'm asking for too much with this setup, I was told this setup could make 8 oz if done ideally... a quater of that shouldn't be too much to ask for.

On a side note, anyone trip out in Vegas? I did a search but kept getting results for "fear and loathing in las vegas". I wounder how it'd be with so much goin on.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Boomr Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck