Home | Community | Message Board

Azarius
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibledeadHead321
Stranger

Did anybody actually enjoy 'War of the Worlds'?!
    #4402857 - 07/14/05 11:23 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Just curious to see if any pubbers actually liked the movie.

I'll say it: I enjoyed the movie.

I think Tom Cruise does a great job acting. The special effects are awesome. The whole concept was dicey, but enjoyable.

Anybody else like it?

--------------------
"They call it a trip because it takes you places"
~TC

All i know is something like a bird within her sang/ All i know she sang a little while and then flew on/Tell me all that you know, i'll show you snow and rain.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleBurke Dennings

Re: Did anybody actually enjoy 'War of the Worlds'?! [Re: deadHead321]
    #4402894 - 07/14/05 11:31 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Not I.  Cruise's preformance was overdone, and special effects can only carry a movie so far.

Why did he have to kill Tim Robbin's character?  It was unnecessary. 

It just wasn't my cup of tea. :tongue:

--------------------
I'm stupid, FalconWolverine is smart.
I'm ugly, FalconWolverine is beautiful.
I'm a loser, FalconWolverine is a winner.
Someday, I hope to be like FalconWolverine but secretly know I never will.

InvisibleOneMoreRobot3021
Male

Loc: the sky
    #4402914 - 07/14/05 11:37 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Sometimes, I like taking a look at Spielberg's career, and his long, dark spiral down into soulless fluff that sacrifices grit for the sake of preserving the idea of the "nuclear family." At one point he made great social commentary. Now, his obsessions with his father's desertion of him and his family has overridden his artistic vigor and he just makes movies that satisfy his own fantasies of happiness.

Look at the endings to A.I. and Minority Report. Both of those films would have benefited from much darker (not to say unhappy) endings. Kubrick never wanted A.I. to end the way it did - the memory created for David was supposed to fragment and break away, leaving David in a void of existence. But not Spielberg, no, he had to have mama and little boy all snug and happy.

Ugh.

Fucking Spielberg!

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

InvisibleBurke Dennings

Re: Did anybody actually enjoy 'War of the Worlds'?! [Re: OneMoreRobot3021]
    #4402919 - 07/14/05 11:39 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

:thumbup:  I agree 100%.

I had no idea that Kubrick was originally involved in AI.  Man, I wish he was immortal (in his corporeal form). :sad:

--------------------

Male

Re: Did anybody actually enjoy 'War of the Worlds'?! [Re: Burke Dennings]
    #4402924 - 07/14/05 11:42 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Kubrick bought the rights to the story A.I. was based on..I forget what it was called, but it was like a 15 page story about a robot boy bought to be friends with a disabled boy. But he was working on the script for years, and A.I. is really close to what he wanted, except the ending is a complete fuckup! You know when David walks up the stairs to go see his mom? There's a weird visual effect, distoritions all around him...that's supposed to be the end of the movie, everything just dies away.

Kubrick is fucking brilliant...in the last week I've watched Full Metal Jacket, Eyes Wide Shut and the Shining. Next up: Lolita, and then 2001. My girlfriend has/had never seen ANY of those...she loved the first three so far.

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #4402933 - 07/14/05 11:44 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I did.

InvisibleBurke Dennings

#4402936 - 07/14/05 11:44 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

WTF? Who hasn't seen 'The Shining'? I think that may be my second favorite movie of all time. I could do w/o 'Eyes Wide Shut', though; never really liked that one.

Oh, and I've never seen AI.... I stay away from fluff, and movies by M. Night Shamaylan.

--------------------

OfflineLocus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: ny/europe/other
    #4402941 - 07/14/05 11:46 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Well, I thought it was alright. The special effects were pretty amazing. But the movie, overall, was just alright I guess. I was also sick fo the whole movie and missed about twenty minutes because I had to run to the bathrooom and throw up twice. So that sucked... however, I generally caught most of the movie and didn't miss anything big. I thought the ending was dumb though. Because really.. the aliens would have dominated all the way.. but that stupid ending out of nowhere...eh... and not even from the humans..

--------------------

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery every day. Never lose a holy curiosity. ~ Albert Einstein
"Fear is the great barrier to human growth." ~ Dr. Robert Monroe

~~~*Dosis sola facit venenum*~~~

*Check my profile to listen to my music* :smile:

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #4402943 - 07/14/05 11:47 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Have you read The Shining? It's excellent and very different from the movie.

Male

#4402945 - 07/14/05 11:47 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Ha! You know who Shayamalan's fave director is? Steven fuckin' Spielberg. I actually have high hopes for him though...Unbreakable is his best work so far in my opinion, then Signs...The Village was such awful crap though.

--------------------

-Erik Davis

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #4402949 - 07/14/05 11:48 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Village made me want to slit my throat right there in the movie theatre.

Offlinedrtyfrnk
PresidentialCandidate 2008
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ontario, Canada
    #4402950 - 07/14/05 11:48 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

War of the worlds was alright, I wouldn't say I liked it a lot, but I didn't dislike it a lot. I thought the part with the son and you know sucked very much and was totally unbelievable. It's like they chopped off the real ending of the movie just so that we can have a happy one. And how the aliens just miraculously started dying? wtf is with that? God, that was retarded. Anyways, i'd give it a 6.7/10.

--------------------
It's Krang, Bitch!  :krang:

Male

Re: Did anybody actually enjoy 'War of the Worlds'?! [Re: Locus]
    #4402952 - 07/14/05 11:48 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Locus said:
I thought the ending was dumb though. Because really.. the aliens would have dominated all the way.. but that stupid ending out of nowhere...eh... and not even from the humans..

Have you ever read the original War of the Worlds book? I mean..the ending makes complete logical sense. There's now ay humans WOULD be able to destroy creatures that vastly superior to us..only the earth and bacteria they're not used to could do that. Makes way more sense than planting a Nuclear bomb in the mothership a la Independence Day.

--------------------

-Erik Davis

OfflineLocus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Did anybody actually enjoy 'War of the Worlds'?! [Re: drtyfrnk]
    #4402954 - 07/14/05 11:49 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Haha, yeah that's exactly what I'm saying.

--------------------

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery every day. Never lose a holy curiosity. ~ Albert Einstein

Male

#4402956 - 07/14/05 11:50 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

See my post right above yours.

--------------------

-Erik Davis

OfflineLocus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #4402958 - 07/14/05 11:50 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

No I did not read the book.. and although it makes sense.. the ending is just stupid.. it's just a horrible ending.

--------------------

Male

#4402962 - 07/14/05 11:51 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Well it's a definite deus ex machina, which is definite weaksauce.

--------------------

-Erik Davis

InvisibleBurke Dennings

Re: Did anybody actually enjoy 'War of the Worlds'?! [Re: Redstorm]
    #4402964 - 07/14/05 11:52 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Redstorm said:
Have you read The Shining? It's excellent and very different from the movie.

Of course I've read it, thilly. The book is great, I loved it. However, I honestly think the movie is one of those rare instances where the film version is just as good as the book. They are totally different though; in the book, Jack Torrance is just as much a victim as the rest of the family. King got to make a version of his book as a TV movie, but it sucked. While it adhered to the book very closely, it was "watered down" because it had to be on TV (no violence, no swearing).

--------------------

Male

#4402971 - 07/14/05 11:52 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Speaking of deus ex machina, I wish I could remember it but there's this movie that takes place on an island way out in the Pacific. And this woman comes to this island somehow, gets wrecked there, and falls in love with the local tribe's prince, but it's a forbidden love. And it's this shitty movie and they'e running around and finally the tribe is going to kill the woman AND the man, and throughout the entire movie the weather is perfect, with NO foreshadowing or anything.

And suddenly a humongous typhoon comes out of nowhere, wipes out the entire tribe, and leaves the island buried underwater except for one tree sticking out above the water and a little bit of sand, and the couple is clinging to it. The end. yOu just read the worst movie evar.

--------------------

-Erik Davis

Male

#4402972 - 07/14/05 11:53 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Yeah, that TV version definitely was nowhere as good as Kubrick's I didn't think...plus, I just knew the little kid too well as an actor.

--------------------

-Erik Davis

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Community >> The Pub