Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinediabla
THE DAY ISCOMING

Loc: east coast
about dunking...
    #4402681 - 07/14/05 08:07 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

ok, i've read the dunk teks and i'm kinda sceptical about submerging the cakes in water for 12 hrs. they won't be damaged or anything? i was wondering if putting the colonized jars in water, in the fridge would be ok? anyone ever tried this?

--------------------

"..the thing is, people are getting hurt and the one thing the meteor shower didn't grace this town with was a superhero. So, in his absense, you're left with me. One girl, on a mission, determined to leave no rock - especially those from outerspace - unturned. My name is Chloe Sullivan, and I'm here to bring you the truth."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinethegaruda
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: about dunking... [Re: diabla]
    #4402694 - 07/14/05 08:12 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

its kewl. i tried it a lil while back, works great. I do it to my cakes rigth after i birth them, and then right after every flush.

i dont do 12 hours i do 24 hours. i submerge them fully in an non opaque plastic coffee can, then take some wire mess as a means to hold the cakes under the water. the ni put the tops on the cans, and throw em in my fridge for exactly 24 hoours. This way i cold shock and hydrate them at the same time :smile: i have read nothing bad about dunking on the net. Remember if you dunk other cakes in teh same water as a cake that is contaminated then all of the cakes would be contaminated, so keep a careful eye out for bad cakes thats all i can say.

dunk is a def great tech and newbie can do with great success, however say your working with dozens of cakes, that can get pretty time consuming. but at that point you would be casing and not using cakes.

Offlinediabla
THE DAY ISCOMING

Re: about dunking... [Re: thegaruda]
    #4402703 - 07/14/05 08:16 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

i wanted to dunk them, then crumble and case them. does that sound ok?

--------------------

"..the thing is, people are getting hurt and the one thing the meteor shower didn't grace this town with was a superhero. So, in his absense, you're left with me. One girl, on a mission, determined to leave no rock - especially those from outerspace - unturned. My name is Chloe Sullivan, and I'm here to bring you the truth."

OfflineZeroArmy27
I didn't go to work for a month.

Loc: Middle of nowhere
    #4402707 - 07/14/05 08:20 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

sounds fine. cold shock on the first flush, then after that i've not noticed anything but a stall if i cold shock.

you can crumble and case cakes, but the yeild will suck compaired to grain. ou can, however, increase your normal cake yeild if the casing is done right. if this is your first time, i'd suggest just taking care of some cakes that you dunk and roll in dry verm after you pull them from the dunk.. it'll stick better that way. then put them into the fruiting chamber, mist with water to hydrate and wait for pins. :smile:

--------------------
"a monkey would fuck you up if you tried to put it in a autoclave" - Psychoslut

"it's not like the admins and mods are a tight-knit group of hippies that spend their life together in a log cabin tie-dying shirts and stringing beads inbetween bonghits." - Wiccan_Seeker

Invisiblemyndreach
philosopher
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #4402710 - 07/14/05 08:21 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

sounds great diabla.

You're on the right track. Sounds like you've been reading up, which is good. Keep reading, there is a TON more to learn :-)

Dunking doesn't harm the cake as long as its not more than 24 hours or so. The water soaks up into the cake during the dunk. Remember, mushrooms are 90% water, so the more water in their growing medium, the more chance of getting a nice grow are. Over 24 hours, from what I've heard/read, can start causing rot though. I dunk for 12-15 hours.

Some dunk in the fridge to "cold shock" the cake. One of the requirments to start pinning is a 10 degree drop in temps, so by cold shocking it, you are sure to get that temp drop. However, light is also a big factor to start pinning, so some just dunk out in room temperature under a flourescent light or near a window. Sunlight is the best, flourescents are the second best if you can't have your grow out in the open near a window.

Hope that helps! Oh and 5 shrooms for you for apparently having read some before you grew. Keep reading!

Offlinethegaruda
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: about dunking... [Re: ZeroArmy27]
    #4402718 - 07/14/05 08:23 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

yeha just take care of the cakes, casing is extra work and difficulties if your new to it, test our your terrium conditions before you go through the expense of casing. do not cold shock more then once.

zero is right you may stall the pinning with another cold shock after a flush, do you roll in the verm to help with the contams and reducing light on the sides?

OfflineZeroArmy27
I didn't go to work for a month.

Loc: Middle of nowhere
    #4402731 - 07/14/05 08:27 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

a dunk 'n roll is like a mini-casing on a cake. the verm is moist on the outside of the cake and it helps pinning by creating a better micro-climate for pins. i make cakes because i have extra verm laying around and they're still fun to do.. but huge casings with grain spawn to poo are where it's at. :smile: trust me... better potency, better flush sizes.

--------------------
"a monkey would fuck you up if you tried to put it in a autoclave" - Psychoslut

"it's not like the admins and mods are a tight-knit group of hippies that spend their life together in a log cabin tie-dying shirts and stringing beads inbetween bonghits." - Wiccan_Seeker

Offlinethegaruda
Stranger
 User Gallery

#4402779 - 07/14/05 08:49 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

mixing up some poo and grain and rolling the cakes in that, now thats a tek i wanna try. sounds the best of both worlds. i just started my first cycle two days ago, you see any problems of doing the poo and grain roll tek after i dunk at the end of the first flush? could you roll after every dunk?

Offlinediabla
THE DAY ISCOMING

#4402780 - 07/14/05 08:49 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

i may possible try both crumbling/casing and rolling a whole cake. i have quite a few jars that are 100% colonized. it's been pretty warm here in maine, not many days below 80 so i'm gonna cold shock them. i have a window spot too that i've cleared out for my casings, so now i just have to sterilize the vermiculite and dunk. :smile: thanks for all the help guys, now i feel way more confident about going through with the dunk!
i've thought about using poo, but i just bought all the stuff the other day to case with vermiculite and soil... that's definatley something i want to try though, when i'm more experienced.

oh yeah, and thanks for the shrooms myndreach! i try my best :smile:

--------------------

Edited by diabla (07/14/05 08:53 AM)

Invisiblemyndreach
philosopher
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #4402786 - 07/14/05 08:55 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

thegaruda said:
mixing up some poo and grain and rolling the cakes in that, now thats a tek i wanna try. sounds the best of both worlds.i just started my first cycle two days ago, you see any problems of doing the poo and grain roll tek after i dunk at the end of the first flush?

Nope. With a caseing you are just creating an environment for the mycelium. You do NOT want nutrients for the mushrooms in the caseing layer. The myc will colonize it and overlay most likely. Just verm or other non-nutritious things like peat moss, etc.

Quote:

could you roll after every dunk?

sure a fresh roll is good

Offlinethegaruda
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: about dunking... [Re: myndreach]
    #4402837 - 07/14/05 09:15 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

my bad i read that post wrong, i thought he meant he rolled the cakes in tha tmixture, i got a cold not with it today. i didnt know if the cakes made an except to the no nutrient layer on the cakes, taht what i misintrepreted.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds