Home | Community | Message Board

Vaposhop
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop:   Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, HEPA Filter, Hygrometer, Perlite, Ultrasonic Humidifier, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinethegaruda
Stranger
 User Gallery

B+ Growlog.batch2 w/ pix (got some q's i need answered)
    #4402063 - 07/14/05 02:27 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

heya. I've spent a lot of time research of this beautiful site of ours. Finally got my stuff together and posted some pix of our grow log.

Briefly this is our second attempt. this first attempt yield small wimpy cubies. we figured it was due to lack of proper air exchange and too much humidity as we used an ultrasonic w. perlite.

we took a few months off, and did more research while leaving this batch in the incubator. we have about a 95% success rate with inoculation so far like 27/30 jars. i tried cakes and casings the first time around (using hawke's method of casing) plenty of pinning but the cubies were mainly aborts and a few long stemmed and wimpy cubies

SO since then i have improved the light to full spectrum aquarium flourscents (set on a timer of 12/12), along with a fan circulation /w HEPA filter. We also removed the ultrasonic, and moved the setup to an area of constant 64deg at 82% RH

neways here are the pix of day two, please let us in on tips or improvements would could make. also please forgive some of the ghetto ness to our setup as we are kinda poor and make due with all we can afford or already own. hope to hear from yea, ill try to post new pix every day of this. hope you all can help us out. thanx

our basic setup, using foil insulation to cover help keep the heat in.

standard tub in tub incubator, with a 20 gal tank heater, stays regulate with no fluctuation around 80 to 82 deg

closer up picture of our terrarium

pix of our air distributor LOL its just a lil box fan with a HEPA filter .1 micron i believe spray foam sealed. Using a 4$ RV sewer hose and a garbage bag to collect the fresh air and push it though the hose into the terrarium. The output of the air distributor is about 20 gallon per minute. Currently we have it running for 30 mins every 2 hours.

these are pics of terrarium with 6 cakes, two days since we dunked them for 24 hours in the fridge with sterilized water, in a non opaque container, the terrarium RH is at about 87% to 92% RH. 75deg during air exchanging time, and 78 when its not, the flourscents barely fluctuate the terrarium temp.

close up of each cake, 4 look good, one is kinda sketchy and the 6th is i dunno.

here is another pic closer up of the 6th one, i don't know what that brown spot is, but I've seen em on our other cakes in our last batch. I read something about how myc. can excrete waste that can sometimes look like contams. i think it might be that but not sure, they we inactive in the incubator for about 8 weeks. the brown shyt isn't fuzzy or anything. And two of the 6 cakes have some yellowish tint to it, and black specs you see on the other images are verm. as i forgot to scrap the extra verm off the cake, no contam's on the verm though when i opened the jars.

the cakes are made from the standard PF tek of long grain brown rice, and verm. 1/2pt.

i put a lil too much water in the perlite in the terrarium i think its got like a 2.5 maybe 3inch layer or perlite with at least 1 to 1.5 inches of water on the bottom.

any other info you need shoot away :smile: thanx for looking.

Edited by thegaruda (07/16/05 12:43 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinesamlernihan1
Stranger

Loc: ny
Re: B+ Growlog.batch2 w/ pix [Re: thegaruda]
    #4402126 - 07/14/05 02:51 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

looking good to me i wish i could do something like that

--------------------
i could die for you
o this life i choose
im hear to be your only go between
to tell you of the sights these eyes have seen
what i really wana do is turn it into motion beauty that i can abuse

OfflineSaitama
A Life Of Optical Delusion
I'm a teapot

Re: B+ Growlog.batch2 w/ pix [Re: samlernihan1]
    #4402203 - 07/14/05 03:17 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

thats a bad ass setup bro!

--------------------
Find helpful teks:
A.M.U. Teks

:mushroom2:MonoTubs Are Life:mushroom2:

"I am the watcher, and the watched, I bring me together."

Offlinethegaruda
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: B+ Growlog.batch2 w/ pix [Re: Saitama]
    #4402788 - 07/14/05 10:57 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

thanx. always looking to improve.

Invisiblemyndreach
philosopher
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #4402824 - 07/14/05 11:11 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

looks good overall, but that last cake looks nasty...

in my opinion (whatever it's worth) i would toss that last cake, just to be safe. It would suck if it spread to the others

also, remember cakes need 95% humidity

Edited by myndreach (07/14/05 11:14 AM)

Offlinethegaruda
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: B+ Growlog.batch2 w/ pix [Re: myndreach]
    #4402858 - 07/14/05 11:23 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

kay i think i will toss it when i get home tonight, unless i se ea 180 deg turn around with it.

i cant reliably meausre the humdity, ive tested my gauage wit hteh salt method and got results back between +7% to +15% RH, i think one of the problems in my first batch was that i had too much humidty with perlite and ultrasonic, right now i got a good layer of condesation on the walls, but not too much, and everything seems to be very damp, my crappy gaage reads 81to 82% this morning i think thats around 92 to 95% from my experience, ill put a digital on in there now, to test it, and suggestions in increasing it up another few % if i do have it 90%?

but from what i read casing need to be 95 and cakes can be fine at 85 to 90, is this correct? today the RH in the room is 85% its like 99% humidty outside. gotta love Northeast summers :-P

Edited by thegaruda (07/14/05 11:26 AM)

Offlinecoda
Banjo Goiter
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #4403264 - 07/14/05 01:27 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

actually i believe its the casings which require a lower humidity.  Im keeping my FC at 98% using just perlite.  What i did was soak the perlite, drain it, and throw it in the FC. It hit 90% in 10 min, you could also just try pulling the cakes out, laying down some heavy mist, and putting them back in.  GL man, im hoping to see my first pins on sunday :smile:

--------------------
To get really high is to forget yourself. And to forget yourself is to see everything else. And to see everything else is to become an understanding molecule in evolution, a conscious tool of the universe. And I think every human being should be a conscious tool of the universe. . . .

-JG

Don't fuck with the laughing jesus.

Offlinethegaruda
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: B+ Growlog.batch2 w/ pix [Re: coda]
    #4403336 - 07/14/05 01:43 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

i thought you were suppose to keep atleast 1/4" of h20 in the bottom of the perlite. my last grow i used a ultrasonic in addition to the perlite, the highest my gauages read was 88/90%. I seriously think i had too much humidity in there. water was like constantly rolling off the walls. i hadt he ultrasonic on a timer, running 15 mins every hour on low setting running though one, one gal bottle.

wouldn't removing the cakes often like that do more harmthen good?

what do you think about patching a tube from my ultrasonic into the fresh air intake tube that runs into my FC?

can you have too much humidity too?

Offlinecoda
Banjo Goiter
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #4403452 - 07/14/05 02:17 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

im no expert on this, ive been reading for a long ass time, but this is my first physical grow. Ive no experience with the ultrasonic, so maybe someone else is better suited to answer that for you.

Well, they say that a fully colonized cake is a lot more resistant to contams. Keep in mind that every time you open up your FC and fan you're exposing them to whatevers in the air. I follow this procedure anytime i need to deal with sterilty.

1.) Clean up all dirty dishes, make sure there is no food or old containers lying about. Sweep the floors and wipe counters down with dry paper towel to remove dust and or food particles.

2.) spray tons of lysol onto everything (air, floor if not carpeted, hit all trash bins, sink, garbage disposal, counter tops etc) Use oust as well for the air if overly paranoid

3.) Wash hands in anti bac soap, shake dry, wash hands in alcohol, let air dry, spray hands up to the wrist in lysol and keep wet (usually do this because i have to touch things) dry them off before touching anything mushroom related.

thats it really, ive had no issues with contams (minus a small one but that was because i didnt PC the jar) so far. As for the perlite, thats what i thought too, but with the way my tub is i cant get an even water distribution. I ended up dumping the entire bag of perlite in there, and i actually think i need more, and even then i still had puddles of water in the middle. So i took the chamber into the bathroom with a pasta strainer, dumped 90% of the perlite into the strainer to get rid of excess water, then placed it back in. I think i sprayed the top layer down as well but im not sure. I also used water that was like 80-85 degrees F (warm to the touch) to hydrate the perlite. I thought the added bit of heat would add to increasing the humidity, i let it cool to 75 deg before i put any cak in there, and its been sittin at 97% ever since.

I think with a casing you can have too much humidity, you also dont want condensation to form on the top of your FC, this can cause water droplets to fall on your fruits and cause rot. Ive read that your casings should be around 80-85 % humidity

--------------------
To get really high is to forget yourself. And to forget yourself is to see everything else. And to see everything else is to become an understanding molecule in evolution, a conscious tool of the universe. And I think every human being should be a conscious tool of the universe. . . .

-JG

Edited by coda (07/14/05 02:19 PM)

Offlinethegaruda
Stranger
 User Gallery

#4403487 - 07/14/05 02:25 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

the cakes rest nicely on my perlite, i used two bags you get at walmart, and put water at like 50% of the thickness of the perlite layer, no puddles or anything. ill try presoaking the perlite first nexttime, see if that makes a diff, but i usually slosh the perlite around in the TIT about a day before to mix up the perlite and water, and thorw the top on, then i put in a 3% h2o2 solution and mix it up in the perlite beofre i put the cakes in.

i thought condensation on your walls was good. if you have problems of drips on your cakes use a drip shield, my old FC used to drip condensation off it, now its a nice thin layer like i just misted the terrium.

Offlinecoda
Banjo Goiter
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #4403503 - 07/14/05 02:30 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Condensation on the sides is fine, but, if you have water droplets falling onto your cakes/casings it can cause problems.  Also, from what ive read, you're not supposed to put cakes directly on perlite as it wicks water directly into the cake.  I put my jar lid in there with and layed the cake on top of that.

Also, i didnt really presoak my perlite persay.  I just put too much water in and i had all these puddles, so i just strained it.  In a way it was presoaking but it was unintentional.  But since its working out for me, i havent messed with it.  I follow the if it aint broke dont fix it method :smile:

--------------------

-JG

Offlinethegaruda
Stranger
 User Gallery

#4403514 - 07/14/05 02:33 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

well..there is a layer of verm on the bottom of the cake, so technically its not directly touching the cake. i think i will put them on some strerile lids tonight i dont really wanna touch the cakes though, i would rateher let them do there thing.

whats wrong with wicking the water from the perlite if its sterile? or there are no contams? anyone know?

Offlinecoda
Banjo Goiter
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #4403537 - 07/14/05 02:38 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

you open yourself up to a lot of contams. Cakes can be TOO moist remember. Grean meanie loves it when they get like that. Im not so sure about the vermiculite acting as a proper barrier. Remember it stores moisture too, so if the perlite wicks a lot of water into it it will get soggy and be more likely to contam. Im a big advocate of trying to follow direcs to a T (especially for my first time) so far ive done everything verbatim and ive had zero problems.

--------------------

-JG

Invisiblemyndreach
philosopher
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #4403762 - 07/14/05 03:16 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

you want the sides to have water on them, yes

Cakes require higher himidty (95%), while cases require lower (80-85%). Remember the whole point of a case is to provide a microenvironment for the mushrooms by holding in humidity.

Offlinethegaruda
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: B+ Growlog.batch2 w/ pix [Re: myndreach]
    #4405974 - 07/15/05 12:00 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

i made some changes tonight of some good threads on this site.

1) i hooked up my ultrasonic humidifier to my air exchange fan, basically i inserted the tube into the out of the fan runnig though the hepa filter that the bag is over to collect the air and run it into the black piping into my intake of the terrium, i have the ultrasonic and fan runing 30 mins on 30 mins off. i would like to run it at 15 mins every hour. but my  timer only goes in increments of 30 mins. the humidifier is set on the lowest setting and the tube running into the terrium is about 4 to 5 feet at a 4" diamter.

any suggestions on calibratin this different

2) i cut a piece of hepa filter out and fitted it into the end of the exhaust duct coming out of the terrium.

3) put my 5 cakes onto sterilized jar lids (upside down)

4) drained out water in the perlite layer, my perlite layer is about 3.5 inches thick. i previous had about 1.5 inches of water on the bottom, i drain it using a sterilized jar, till the water level was barely 1/4" deep.

5) removed that nasty looking cake.

6) put in my other digital hygrometer/thermoter to compliment the analog hygrometer. the digital therometer i got from home depot for about 20 bux. the digi reads 79 to 81 degs, with a rh of 80% to 82%, while the analog guages read 74 to 76 deg and rh of 8o% respectivly.

i will take some picture possibly tomorow afternoon or early sat morning.

im really confused on my humidity readings. becuase for one, there is a decent amount of condensation on the walls of the terrarium inside. two the cakes dont appear ot look dried out, third there is a fair amount of fog/haze in the terrium when the ultrasonic is running on low.

do you think my gauges are wack, or are i really have humidity problem?

You think simple misting could correct this humidity problem if there is one?

The most baffling thing is that right now its about 80 to 85% RH in the grow room, at a consistant level.

any input would be greatly appreciated. thanx alot :smile:

Offlinethegaruda
Stranger
 User Gallery

#4409802 - 07/15/05 11:49 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

today after work i picked up one of the professional misters, that works pretty good for 2.50, 32 oz too.

i also picked up a backlight thermoter/hygrometer at wally world on clearence for 11.88. this is the third one i bought so i hoped it would do the trick

and it did. i put some distilled water in my new mister and sprayed down the sides of the terrium, it looked like it just rained in there(you know that fine mist you see glisten in the sun. ) some good shyt.

then i poped that new hygrometer in the terrium, and main i was right my old gauges were crap. i was very suprised by this 12 dollar device, it worked extremely well, in less then 30 sec the humidity jumped from 72 to 80 to 88 to 92 then 98 then read hi%.

i figured i had more then enough humidity i turn my ultrasonic down all the way. the walls of the terrium looked a lil drier then i wanted before i misted soo, i htink i will use the US in replace of misting the cakes. You think i should mist too? for add humidity, then stop when the pins form>?

i figured my humidity wont flucate much i decided to put the new hygrometer on the shelf next to my setup, and use the lil sensor for outdoor monitoring. then temp was reading 74.8 to 75.4 when i put it in to check the humid at first. i decided to crank up the heater a lil bit. i would like ot get the temps around 77. is this the correct temp for B+? if not what do you guys recommend?????

well it looks like everything is going great this time around long as no contams set ill keep my finger crossed. ill post some newer pictures tomorow night or on sunday, i need more batteries, and i dont think you guys wanna look at fuzz growth, not to exciting hehehe

hope to get some feedback for my q's thanx for your time.

one last question...is there such a thing as too much air exchange. DO shrooms like to havet he CO2 build up a lil bit, and have it flushed out? i htink my real question here is keep the HEPA air fan running 30 mins every 2 hours like i got, or should i reduce the input of the intake and have it run constantly???? whats best i dont know.

InvisibleRoadkill
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Snoqualmie, Wa.
Trusted Cultivator
    #4410430 - 07/16/05 02:32 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I like my fruiting temps to be between 73 to 76 degrees F. in my grow room.

You can mist your cakes lightly...it won't hurt them.

You have plenty of air exchange with the HEPA air fan running 30 mins every 2 hours.
Just make sure that your humidity doesn't drop down too low.

----

I've been fruiting some South Americans in 76 to 90 degree weather the past week...upstairs in my living room...as an experiment.
I wanted to see how they would do in the heat.
They did real good...in fact they pumped out some nice size fruits.

:smile:

tc

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

Offlinethegaruda
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: B+ Growlog.batch2 w/ pix [Re: Roadkill]
    #4413926 - 07/17/05 03:51 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

yeah my temps are a lil higher the ni wanted, im slowly dropping them another 3 deg to maintain 73 to 77, i noticed a 4 deg diff in my new lighting my old lighting was a 2 deg diff.

my humidty has been staying above 95% s i think im good. thanx alot for the answers :smile:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop:   Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, HEPA Filter, Hygrometer, Perlite, Ultrasonic Humidifier, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation