Home | Community | Message Board

Zamnesia.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, HEPA Filter, Perlite, Portable Greenhouse, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineGodspeed
Stranger
Loc: God's Basement
Humidity in martha won't go up, coolmist is hooked up properly...
    #4401106 - 07/13/05 08:43 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

this morning it was at 90, it had been at the throughout the night. i tampered with the hose this morning just so condensation wouldn't build right at the top of the martha, and the humidity started to f'n drop! now i can't get it above 80.

the hose i was using had constant air going through it, there wasn't an air pocket or anything, it was full blast. it wasn't a 'mist' though, it was just air, whereas last night it was almost like a mist. i thought maybe since the condensation in the hose started to form, the mist was getting picked up by the water inside. would that make any sense?

i played around with it for hours and finally gave up. now i just cut a garden hose and whored it in there with ducttape, and the humidity still hasn't risen at all. the hose is only 4ft, tops, and runs straight from the humidifier hole i drilled to the back of the martha, slightly going upwards...

any suggestions? i'm completely dumbfounded, it was working great this morning and then wtf?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinesludge
blunt rapter

Loc: somewhere in usa
Re: Humidity in martha won't go up, coolmist is hooked up properly... [Re: Godspeed]
    #4401156 - 07/13/05 08:55 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

u need a ultrasonic to and run that with your coolmist with your hummer running 10 mins every 2 hours bro!!!i have a greenhouse too but i have plastic taped to the bottom it creates a pos.pressure!!

--------------------
Down in a hole and I don't know if I can be saved
See my heart I decorate it like a grave
You don't understand who they
Thought I was supposed to be
Look at me now a man
Who won't let himself be

Offlinesludge
blunt rapter

Re: Humidity in martha won't go up, coolmist is hooked up properly... [Re: sludge]
    #4401172 - 07/13/05 08:57 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

and your coolmist is workin if you can feel air coming out at the end in the greenhouse!!!!

--------------------
Look at me now a man
Who won't let himself be

OfflineHippieChick
Chicks can do it too!
Female User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Humidity in martha won't go up, coolmist is hooked up properly... [Re: Godspeed]
    #4401173 - 07/13/05 08:57 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Do you have a pic of your set up ?

Peace,Love,Happiness and Harmnoy.
:heart: Hippie Chick  :mushroom2:

--------------------
Peace,Love and Happiness
:heart: HC :mushroom2:

Freedoms just another word for nothing left to lose..............

I LUV My Greenhouse
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/5545848#5545848

My First Pans
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/6212058#6212058

OfflineGodspeed
Stranger
Re: Humidity in martha won't go up, coolmist is hooked up properly... [Re: sludge]
    #4401182 - 07/13/05 08:59 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

i definetely feel air coming out, but it isn't raising the humidity in the martha. last night, i watched in ten minutes, literally, the humidity rise from 75 to 90. it sustained this until this morning when i messed around with it.

the coolmist should raise the humdity to about 90, right?

Offlinesludge
blunt rapter

#4401213 - 07/13/05 09:07 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

ya 85 to 90 depending on temp!!!!and also the rh in your room!!!

--------------------
Look at me now a man
Who won't let himself be

OfflineGodspeed
Stranger
    #4401217 - 07/13/05 09:07 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

hold on, i'm getting pics up

OfflineGodspeed
Stranger
    #4401251 - 07/13/05 09:13 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

i had the inch diameter hose in before, it was setup nicer. this i just did because i wanted to see if the garden hose made a difference, and it's not...

i'm just not sure what the hell is wrong with the hookup because all night and into the morning it was fine, sustaining rh 90.

OfflinekronnyQ
SuperstudExtraordinaire
 User Gallery

Loc: Anytown USA
    #4401264 - 07/13/05 09:18 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Sludge, ever check out some ritalin?!!!! It can really help calm your ass down!!!!!!  :crazyeyes: :cuckoo: :weirdeyes:

OfflineHippieChick
Chicks can do it too!
Female User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #4401319 - 07/13/05 09:34 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Closing up the bottom will help raise your humidity. Just make sure to leave a little space for CO2 to get out. I closed my smaller 4 tier up, with some towels. I was having trouble with the humidity on the bottom. Top was 92, bottom was in the 60's. Rolled up some towels and laided them alomg the sides. Now it's 93 on top and 92 in the bottom. No ultrasonic. I don't like em. I'm hooking up a bigger 4 tier now and plan on using only coolmists for humidity. Gonna start with two and see what happens.

One thing I learned from my first greenhouse, Pins always showed up on the shelf where the coolmist was entering first. Fresh air must really help pinning. I put a test run of 5 jars(LC's), directly in front of the coolmist and had pins on all 5 in 3 days. I never had pins that fast on any of the 100's of jars in the past.

Another thing I learned was if I wanted to use just coolmists for humidity, I had to close the bottom a little.

I decided to get some 4 mil plastic sheeting. 3 foot by 25 feet, $8 at Loew's. I laided a piece out, set the greenhouse on top, put little slits where the legs were, pulled the plastic over the legs and wrapped like a X-Mas present,lol. :grin:

Then I hooked up my coolmists. Hooked them up kinda like my other one, just more,lol.

I just believe the more fresh air the better. If the humidity isn't too high, might hook up some more. They only cost $2. Well, gotta go finish hooking up. Hope this is worth it,lol. :grin:

Peace,Love,Happiness and Harmony.

--------------------
Peace,Love and Happiness

I LUV My Greenhouse

My First Pans

OfflineGodspeed
Stranger
Re: Humidity in martha won't go up, coolmist is hooked up properly... [Re: HippieChick]
    #4401337 - 07/13/05 09:40 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

oh, damn. thx for your time. i'm realizing i'm extremely new and should start smaller. my patience is growing thin with this hobby.

goodnight

Offlinesludge
blunt rapter

Re: Humidity in martha won't go up, coolmist is hooked up properly... [Re: kronnyQ]
    #4401353 - 07/13/05 09:45 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

kronnyQ said:
Sludge, ever check out some ritalin?!!!! It can really help calm your ass down!!!!!!  :crazyeyes: :cuckoo: :weirdeyes:

and what the fuck you mean by that? :crazy2:you know what fuck you im in no mood to listen to your dumb shit!!!and ya i know what ritalin is!!!! :finger:

--------------------
Look at me now a man
Who won't let himself be

OfflineBlue Helix
bold hand
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #4401835 - 07/14/05 12:49 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

A smaller diameter hose is nice because it ensures that the mist hits the walls and drains back into the humidifier. With a casing, you don't want constant misting; you want high RH air. If you mist constantly, you will contaminate a casing.

Open the humidifier and check out the tube that sucks up the water. In some models, that tube is removable to clean. If yours can do that, clean it out.

Also, keep in mind that every setup is different. I use a cool mist and PC fan on a tiny 0-500 ohm rheostat I bought at radio shack so I can adjust the PC fan speed to adjust the dry air mix in with the cool mist. I adjust so that the air that enters my chamber is about 70% RH. But he internal RH is closer to 95%. Why the difference? Because the casings themselves also humidify the chamber air since they are heated by active mycelium, and my chamber has a lot of surface area covered with casings. If I don't use any PC fan mix in, my garden hose cool mist produces about 90%-100% RH input depending on the outside air, which is way too high for my chamber with the casings also humidifying the air.

Edited by Blue Helix (09/24/05 01:56 PM)

Offlinethegaruda
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Humidity in martha won't go up, coolmist is hooked up properly... [Re: Blue Helix]
    #4402113 - 07/14/05 02:47 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Blue Helix said:
A smaller diameter hose is nice because it ensures that the mist hits the walls and drains back into the humidifier. With a casing, you don't want constant misting; you want high RH air. If you mist constantly, you will contaminate a casing.

Open the humidifier and check out the tube that sucks up the water. In some models, that tube is removable to clean. If yours can do that, clean it out.

Also, keep in mind that every setup is different. I use a cool mist and PC fan on a tiny 0-5K ohm rheostat I bought at radio shack so I can adjust the PC fan speed to adjust the dry air mix in with the cool mist. I adjust so that the air that enters my chamber is about 70% RH. But he internal RH is closer to 95%. Why the difference? Because the casings themselves also humidify the chamber air since they are heated by active mycelium, and my chamber has a lot of surface area covered with casings. If I don't use any PC fan mix in, my garden hose cool mist produces about 90%-100% RH input depending on the outside air, which is way too high for my chamber with the casings also humidifying the air.

very informative, i thats why i had problems on my first batch was not enought fresh air, i think that helps alot. do any of your guys have your cool mist on timer or do you jus trun 24/7, right now i got a 40 gallon terrium, w/ just perlite around 90% RH in the terrium with 83% outsite the terrium.

any of you have suggestion of how to set up a ultrasonic and coolmist setup with the current air exhange system i got now

it outputs about 20 gal per min, with .1 mic HEPA filter on the intake fan.

i really would like to do away with perlite. eventually i would like ot set up a martha when i get the grow a decent harvest from my terrium cakes. (also swicth to casing then)

thanx any help would be greatly appreciated

Offlineprosthetics
sic
Loc: Tampa
Re: Humidity in martha won't go up, coolmist is hooked up properly... [Re: thegaruda]
    #4402190 - 07/14/05 03:11 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

oh my god hippie chick. all the shit i've seen in your pics is fuking engenius! fucking bad ass. are you like a technician or in construction? thats bad ass. seems like you got it all laid out .

--------------------
Living in peace, outside myself.

Offlineprosthetics
sic
Loc: Tampa
Re: Humidity in martha won't go up, coolmist is hooked up properly... [Re: Blue Helix]
    #4402194 - 07/14/05 03:13 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Blue Helix said:

Also, keep in mind that every setup is different. I use a cool mist and PC fan on a tiny 0-5K ohm rheostat I bought at radio shack so I can adjust the PC fan speed to adjust the dry air mix in with the cool mist. I adjust so that the air that enters my chamber is about 70% RH. But he internal RH is closer to 95%. Why the difference? Because the casings themselves also humidify the chamber air since they are heated by active mycelium, and my chamber has a lot of surface area covered with casings. If I don't use any PC fan mix in, my garden hose cool mist produces about 90%-100% RH input depending on the outside air, which is way too high for my chamber with the casings also humidifying the air.

LOL! man y our tense. gotta calm down, everything is going to be OK.. its ooook. were all here to support each other bro.

--------------------
Living in peace, outside myself.

InvisibleMagashM
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
    #4402433 - 07/14/05 05:29 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

my patience is growing thin with this hobby.

Not to be a asshole then but you may wanna set it up right and use the ultrasonic. Very often humidity goes up at night cause of the temp changes.

After you adjusted the hose were there more bends in it if any? That will lower humidity a little cause moisture will build up at the bends no matter how slight they are. There are a few people that have made a cool mist handle the entire job by itself and the added moisture that a ultrasonic brings in if done right (and most seem to have the hang of it) is good for the cakes or casings.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

OfflineBlue Helix
bold hand
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #4403090 - 07/14/05 12:26 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

I don't want it to sound like the PC fan is just blowing in the chamber. It provides about the same input in the air mix as the garden hose of the cool mist. They are mixed at a PVC tee. The PC fan is glued on the T with hot glue. It's a really simple setup really.

You don't need a wind storm in your fruiting chamber. YOu don't need wind at all. You just want enough flow to replace the volume of the chamber 1 to 3 times an hour. If you are using a rubbermaid, that is VERY little air input really. Too much air flow inside the chamber, either from re-circulation by an internal fan or from new input air, will dry out the casing because evaporation is a function of RH and air movement; more air flow and less RH dries any surface faster. These successful tub-in-tub setups should prove to anyone that mushrooms don't need much fresh air. They need water and love.

Edited by Blue Helix (07/14/05 12:28 PM)

OfflineBlue Helix
bold hand
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Humidity in martha won't go up, coolmist is hooked up properly... [Re: Magash]
    #4403098 - 07/14/05 12:30 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

In the kind of chamber that Magash has set up, a full closet deal, a timed ultrasonic makes sense.

OfflineHippieChick
Chicks can do it too!
Female User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Humidity in martha won't go up, coolmist is hooked up properly... [Re: prosthetics]
    #4403335 - 07/14/05 01:43 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

No,lol, but thanks. Dad was a mold maker. Built plastic injection molds. Used to help him in his shop when I was growing up. This is my favorite part of the hobby, building things,lol.

Just got up and checked my new greenhouse out, 75.7 degrees with 88% humidity on top shelf, 74.8 degrees and 87% humidity on bottom. Time to load her up!

Peace,Love,Happiness and harmony.

--------------------
Peace,Love and Happiness

I LUV My Greenhouse

My First Pans

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, HEPA Filter, Perlite, Portable Greenhouse, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation