Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemojo23
Stranger
Can't Hardly Wait...
    #4362451 - 07/02/05 07:17 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Heya!

I have done a little mmgg cultivation in the past with some limited success, but have not grown in a couple years. I am getting ready to start up again in earnest, and just wanted to post my plans here with a friendly invite for comments/suggestions...

I have on order 4 strains coming... Treasure Coast & Golden Teacher from Innersight Trading (Spores101 / www.spore-syringe.com) and Lipa Yai (Thai) and Gulf Coast from Earth's Tongue. (PS - Any experience with either of these sources?)

I have some OLD syringes... one with about 2cc left of an unknown strain. It may be either B+, or possibly P. Azurences, as those are the two I have tried before. The other old syringe was some "PES Hybrid" from J.L.F., but it was "squished" so I can see all the spores at the end of the needle in the plastic sheath, but no more water. I have some OLD prints, as well. Two Azurences prints and one unlabeled print.

With regard to the older stuff, I wonder what the viability is. I have a good feeling that the prints will all probably be good to make syringes from. How long can prints stay viable? Anyone with direct experience? I would really like to make use of thes Azurences prints, just not for my initial batches. I'll stick to the Cubies 'till I get the ball rolling. Besides, I think it would be much easier to deal with the temp. drop for Az. if it were wintertime to begin with. I don't like using the kitchen fridge for one. And I intend to do a serious bulk run by then (not fridge-friendly), for another.

For grins, while I wait for the freshie syringes, I am thinking of trying to inoculate some jars with the old syringe contents. The 2cc mystery strain I will try in two 1/2 pint jars and the PES Hybrid (yeah I know all about the "hybrid" contoversy, so it is really another mystery strain) I am going to try and recover and make a new syringe from. No real worries in all this 'cuz I have the other stuff on order.

I really like some of the ideas and teks that I see here. Esp. the tub-in-tub incubator and the easy glovebox instructions. I will definitely be getting some storage tubs in the next few days...

When I grew before, I really guessed my way through a lot of it. Both times I did single tub casing methods, using soaked cardboard to case. Even though I got shrooms both times, I really really did not understand the casing or how to maintain it. First time was BRF/Vermiculite/Hamster (cedar?) wood shavings mix with Az. and last time was B+ in pre-filled rye grain jars I ordered. My first time did fruit and man they were strong (love Az.). But I only got one long slow flush over several days and picked as they got big. After it stopped producing a lot of mushies I picked the remaining pins and ate them (discovering just how potent a pin can be in it's own right!). I mixed up some more "food" and stirred it into the spawn, re-cased with more cardboard, and BLAM got the green mold and that was that.

Second time I mixed the colinized spawn from the pre-made jars with soaked wood shavings (more hamster/guinea pig bedding) only once. I guess i didn't need wood with the B+ strain but it seemed to work, sort of. I got a couple flushes but nothing too stupendous. I never tried to "feed" that batch but it still got the green mold. Boy I wasn't even using lysol back then!

Now I have some better supplies. I have lysol and oust, masks, sterile gloves, etc. I also have a pressure canner this time. Last times I did the boil-in-a-pot (with rag heat buffer) method. And as I said I'll be building a glovebox and incubator this go-round. I also feel much more confident about everything from having read so many teks and forum posts.

Food wise, I could not find rye berries to save my life. So I have some LGBR, some BRF, and some Rye Flour too. The other day I ran a test with 6 1/2 qt jars using LGBR and Rye Flour mix... BAD. Well, it was GOOD in the sense that I know understand how to run the pressure cooker and know what to expect. But the rye flour "caked up" around the LGBR and absorbed too much moisture... so the cakes were not shakeable, and too dry to boot.

I really want to get a shake recepie out of the LGBR to speed things along. Which leads me to ask...what is a good LGBR recipie that will shake? Should I pre-soak the rice and cold rinse a couple times to remove startch? Does LGBR benefit from being mixed with anything, like vermiculite? I have a humongous bag of vermiculite at my disposal.

Regarding the BR and Rye flours... Any suggested recipies for those? I won't care if they're non-shakeable (they're flours, after all). I will make extra jars and run them for variety's sake (and to make use of the materials).

So, with all this, I am open for comments and suggestions. Any tips/advice regarding the strains I've chosen? I am planning to keep some good notes along the way with all the strains and methods, which I will journal up and report back. Last two times I only "dabbled" in growing my own, but this time I am going to make a serious and (hopefully) sustained effort.

Well thanks for listening. Hopefully I will have some good stuff to tell along the way. Oh, and thanks Shroomery and everyone in the community for all your great commentary, faq's, teks, and guides. Some look really interesting (for down the road), like horse-poo & straw, and the bird-seed teks I think I may have a go at on my second batch.

Peace!
Mojo23

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineLazyCrash
I like gas.
Male User Gallery

Loc: T-Town
Re: Can't Hardly Wait... [Re: mojo23]
    #4364957 - 07/03/05 12:05 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Earth's Tongue was pretty quick to deliver my 20cc last month. It was really closer to 22cc and was jam packed with spores, enough to make 12 jars 100% colonized in about 3 weeks.

OfflineSpores_101
Mycologist

Re: Can't Hardly Wait... [Re: LazyCrash]
    #4372462 - 07/05/05 02:23 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Earth's Tongue isnt a shroomery sponsor and we seem to get horror story after horror story about them. I would always put your hard earned money behind a shroomery backed sponsor, you cant go wrong.

Offlinemojo23
Stranger
Re: Can't Hardly Wait... [Re: Spores_101]
    #4400496 - 07/13/05 04:12 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Well the syringes have all arrived! The Spores101/Innersight spores came a couple days before the Earth's Tongue ones. And during a holiday, no less. Great service!

Sorry SPORES101_COM on how you feel about Earth's Tongue but I think maybe you're a little biased, no? Both you and your competitor delivered relatively quickly. However, Spores101 syringes are more expensive and half the size. Earth's Tonge syringes are ginormous! 20cc's, as advertized, and cheaper than the 10cc syringes by several dollars each. And I won't hear anything about "dilution"... both sets have sat for a few days as I gathered other materials, and the spores have settled out of solution. I can assure anyone interested that there are certainly a lot more spores in the Earth's Tongue syringes, not just water.

This all does not mean that I am unhappy with Spores101 / Innersight by any means. I got just what I asked for in a timely manner. Beyond that, Earth's Tongue seemed to be out of stock on most strains, where Spores101 apparently has more varieties on hand at any given time. Chances are I will be doing repeat business with both companies.

Regarding my OLD syringes... well... I had no luck. Apparently the spores were viable, but contaminated. I got lots of white mycelium at first, but green and grey started too and eventually overran the jars. Que sera sera. I have fresh sterile spores now so I am undaunted. And all the practice should pay off.

Having acquired the materials for my tub-in-tub incubator and glove box, I have cleaned out the pressure canner and jars and am pre-soaking the brown rice now. I will come back to this space and keep everyone updated as things progress. I was hoping for some responses on how to be sure I get shakeable substrate, but have not so I am just going to try the presoaked grains and see how that fares. I'll return here with updates as I go along.

Peace, AUM, Namaste
Mojo23

Invisiblemyndreach
philosopher
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #4400541 - 07/13/05 04:21 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

great...can't wait to see the results!

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
    #4400544 - 07/13/05 04:22 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

You wouldn't believe all the horror stories that I have seen about Earths Tongue over the years.

Its been many!~

do a Search Posts in the Vendor/Sponsor forum...enter --> Earth Tongue...

for the search name.

tc

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

OfflineAiko Aiko
 User Gallery

Loc: Lazy River Road
    #4400589 - 07/13/05 04:29 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Why are you soaking brown rice?

--------------------
Easily test the dosage of your tabs at home!:lsd:
qtests.org

Man says, "God, show me and I will believe." God says, "Believe and I will show you."

Offlinemojo23
Stranger
Re: Can't Hardly Wait... [Re: Aiko Aiko]
    #4400832 - 07/13/05 05:29 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I am soaking the rice for two reasons. First is to take some of the guess-work out of the correct water-to-rice ratio. If I pre-soak, then the rice is going to be nearer field-capacity from the get-go. Also, I can cold-rinse to remove some of the excess startch, which may make it easier to shake the medium after pressure cooking. Otherwise it will probably be stickier.

The second reason is also important. By soaking for several hours, any bacteria spores in the rice will hatch. That sounds bad, but it is a benefit. Bacteria spores may be able to survive the heat of sterilization in the pressure cooker if they are still in their inert state. But if they have started to grow, then they will in all likelihood be killed when I pressure cook. It is just to aid in sterilization of the medium. If I just mixed it up and threw it in the canner, I might not get "as sterile" a medium for my mushrooms. Best to be on the safe side, and reduce the number of failed jars.

And there you have it!

Mojo23

Offlinemojo23
Stranger
Re: Can't Hardly Wait... [Re: Roadkill]
    #4400852 - 07/13/05 05:35 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Okay I will go ahead and see what the "horror stories" are. But I already have my syringes in-hand with no muss, no fuss. So I am curious to what problems others have had. Are they adding me to a watch list with the feddies? I hope not. Are my syringes going to be duds? Well I guess all will be revealed.

Peace,
Mojo23

Offlineoysterguy63
60's child

Loc: God's Country
    #4400861 - 07/13/05 05:38 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

mojo23 said:
Sorry SPORES101_COM on how you feel about Earth's Tongue but I think maybe you're a little biased, no?

No, they aren't biased. They speak from experience, and a little reading on the site will tell you that....many a member has had bad luck there. Shop where you want, but talking about other companies that are not sponsors here at the shroomery is kinda like Fight Club. The first two rules are we don't talk about fight club, so the moral of the story is please don't mention other sponsors on The Shroomery. Thanks bro.

--------------------
Oysters...yuummmmm

Offlinecoda
Banjo Goiter
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #4400864 - 07/13/05 05:39 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I think a lot of the horror stories have to do with bad syringes, slow shipping times, lost orders etc. Go with a sponser they take care you like crazy!! In the past month ive seen tons of giveaways and great deals from these guys, for 15 bucks + shipping you can get two syringes from most places! Watch the sponser forum everyday and take adavntage!

--------------------
To get really high is to forget yourself. And to forget yourself is to see everything else. And to see everything else is to become an understanding molecule in evolution, a conscious tool of the universe. And I think every human being should be a conscious tool of the universe. . . .

-JG

i really am glad you came back to us instead of taking the other path. *hug*

-A_S (RIP your final words to me will never be forgotten)

Don't fuck with the laughing jesus.

Offlinemickeymicmic
word

Re: Can't Hardly Wait... [Re: coda]
    #4400875 - 07/13/05 05:43 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

good movie, just love JLH

OfflineAiko Aiko
 User Gallery

#4400905 - 07/13/05 05:50 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Test field capacity after you mix everything together. I don't think you have to worry about bacteria in rice the same as you you do in other grains. That's why you can get away with steam sterilizing. I just grind and use as soon as possible and it works great. Just trying to save you a few steps. GL :jester:

--------------------
qtests.org

Man says, "God, show me and I will believe." God says, "Believe and I will show you."

Offlinemojo23
Stranger
    #4402473 - 07/14/05 04:41 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

[EDIT - this is response to Oysterguy, not Gobblin]

Okay, I see... I seem to be getting flack over Earth's Tongue. I figured a user with the name "SPORES101_COM" was probably a representative of Innersight/Spores101, which is a competitor to Earth's Tongue. So my impression that they are "biased" is a reasonable presumption. Roadkill suggested I search the vendor forum, and - sure enough - there were plenty of complaints about Earth's Tongue. Now it seemed to me that nearly all of them were regarding slow delivery and non-responsiveness. My experience was very quick delivery, so I posted my experience in the spirit of fairness. I think Roadkill took exception to what he/she precieved as my coming to their quick defense. Obviously there is a lot of animosity built up with this vendor, and I will be cautious and only order small amounts from them in the future if I order from them again at all.

Regarding ettiquite here at the Shroomery... I am new here. I thought this was a community site by and for the shroom community, and not a vendor site by and for the sponsoring vendors. I think it's great and all that many vendors help sponsor the Shroomery. But it is like a newspaper versus a shopper. A newspaper (with integrity) will report the news whether it is in their advertizers' best interest or not, as their duty is to the readers. A shopper is a glorified advertizement sheet, and their reviews and news are alwasy suspect as they are percieved (usually rightly) to kowtow to their advertizers.

Is the Shroomery a shopper? I hope not!!! I have begun to really like the site and all the great info here. I would hate to find it is full of biases, agendas, and ulterior motives. That would suck. Seriously, you suggest talking about non-sponsors is frowned upon??? OMFG how lame!! It's great to give the sponsors their due props. But to suggest not talking about non-sponsors is doing everyone a disservice. I would hope that this site was more about facilitating the sort of honest communication that communities are built on. A true community is more open than that. /rant

Peace,
Mojo23

Edited by mojo23 (07/14/05 05:04 AM)

Offlinemojo23
Stranger
    #4402484 - 07/14/05 04:56 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

You're probably right that I don't need to worry so much about bacteria spores. But I don't want to grind the rice as I intend to shake it. I am working with pre-ground flours also, which of course do not lend themselves to shaking. I am making some jars with the whole LGBR, some with BRF/Vermiculite, and some with Rye Flour/Vermiculite. I want to experiment and see what medium works best for me. If I could find some rye berries, I would try that as a shakeable medium too. But so far they have been elusive. In the past (couple years ago) I have used BRF/Vermiculite and pre-made Rye berry jars. So I am starting up with stuff I am half-way familiar with. Later on down the road I hope to move to a bulk spawn medium like horesepoo with straw or some such.

Mojo23

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

Re: Can't Hardly Wait... [Re: oysterguy63]
    #4402497 - 07/14/05 05:19 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

oysterguy63 said:
Quote:

mojo23 said:
Sorry SPORES101_COM on how you feel about Earth's Tongue but I think maybe you're a little biased, no?

No, they aren't biased. They speak from experience, and a little reading on the site will tell you that....many a member has had bad luck there. Shop where you want, but talking about other companies that are not sponsors here at the shroomery is kinda like Fight Club. The first two rules are we don't talk about fight club, so the moral of the story is please don't mention other sponsors on The Shroomery. Thanks bro.

Ditto. Well said.

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

Re: Can't Hardly Wait... [Re: IGnosticAbhorI]
    #4402500 - 07/14/05 05:23 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Then again Sponsers pay quite a bit to have their logos placed on this site.

Whereas other vendors - Plain & Simply don't.

It's a argument that I'll pass lol, you make a good point to be honest, but if earth's tounge (and all others for that matter) were so great - Then they'd be a sponser here. Not all of course known, i'm sure there's smaller known shops that have great deals...Anyways, done now :smirk:

Tc and good luck

-Gnostic

OfflineAiko Aiko
 User Gallery

#4402617 - 07/14/05 07:08 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Gotcha. GL and Happy Growing! :thumbup:

--------------------
qtests.org

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #4402645 - 07/14/05 07:33 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Mojo, the vendors are vendors for a reason. They are the only ones that can be held to a guarentee..if something goes wrong with your order somewhere else, who can make them send you a replacment or hold up to their products? The shroomery sponsors also pay alot of money to keep this board going...without them, we wouldnt have the community that we have...so the community that they pay to keep here, gives them the favor of not allowing talk of non shroomery sponsors. But this is also to illiminate all problems for every user on the board. I'm damn glad we got them...they have GREAT deals, almost always the best around..send free products if you mention your a shroomery sponsor when you order (usually), give away syringes to people in the vendor forum, just so people try some new strains or people who cant afford spores can get some....and ALL they ask, is we dont post links to vendors that could POSSILBY rip off consumers here. I am ALL for that....

I had much the same thoughts as you when I first came here, but when you stick around ad see how few complaints there are, and how great the sponsors are, you relize why it is the way it is. Sponsors must prove themselves before coming a sponsor, and while remaining a sponsor...if some members want to risk their money ordering things elsewhere, that is their choice...but I'm glad the mods stop them from encouraging other to take that risk or I'd have to answer alot more "How is this vendor?" and "How come my jars didnt germinate" and "how long before I get my spores?"

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offlinethegaruda
Stranger
 User Gallery

#4402683 - 07/14/05 08:07 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

yes thats is true about newpapers, but every paper covers different storys and collective that shifts the overall view of the newspaper one way or another. i think you find calling the vendors sponsors is commerical way of selling shyt on this site. and thats the farthest thing from it.

what you can talk about and what you should talk about are two different things. You ca ntalk about other vendors here, but you shouldn't cuz noone cares to hear it. The vendors that sponsor this site, are the most trustworth, reliable, speedy, and quality in the world for shroom supplies. Everyone else you are taking a shot in the dark. i tried to contact eart tongue when i first bought spores and they never emailed me back. On the other hand Hawkes Eye Spores was some of the fastest service on the internet i recieved, got four times the spores i order, and two days b4 i expected it. We were happier then a pig in HPoo :-P

neways my point is that every forum has its etique and if you dont agree with it then there is plenty of other forums to chat on, but here we have guidlines and etique rules cuz we are all proud shroomers. and proud of our site and its converstaion. and wish to keep it like that. thanx :smile:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures