Home | Community | Message Board

FreeSpores.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Microscope

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineliquidblue32
Stranger
 User Gallery
LBM ID in Pacific Northwest
    #4400685 - 07/13/05 06:50 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Im quite new at this. I was cutting the grass today in my backyeard and I noticed a bunch of small mushrooms growing under a leaf tree. The grass was quite long. Anyways These mushrooms looked similar to mushrooms that we useto pick in Chilliwack at a certain field that was known for its magic mushrooms. Anyways I wasnt sure, but i thought Id post these pics for interest, can anyone help me id these LBM's?

* Habitat -Back yard, taller grass, usually the lawn has lots of grass clippings that sit on it. The mushrooms were in clusters around the base of a leafy tree, not coniferous.

* Characteristics of the gills - semi-Light brown, Free from stem, and are close togeather.

* Characteristics of the stem (2-3 inches long, diameter, beige color, kindda moist and smooth, Hollow, thin, The stem breaked very eaily, felt like straw breaking when picked (only more fragile)

* Characteristics of the cap- caps ranged in size quite a bit most were around 1" wide, light golden brown fading to light beige, texture, conical & slightly Umbonates at top, the cap doesnt bend too too much, kinda reminds me of an oriental umbrella. The caps are more bell like when the mushrooms are smaller and baby like.

* Spore print color - im not 100% it looks like a very dark purple. maby a very dark grey.

* Color that the mushroom bruises- I never got this one.. like it doesnt really brise if i dont pressreally hard, but if i press really hard on the cap it goes dark purplish instantly, but i think thats just cus the gills are squished up and the cap goes kindda translucent. So i dont think the mushroom really bruises.

* Scent of the mushroom- next to no scent, definatly not unpleasant, if i could compare them to anything they kinda smell like the small typicall white mushrooms you buy at the grocery store

* I fould it really distinctive how fragile the mushrooms were when i was picking them. the stems broke realy easily and so did the caps if i had to pull them trough grass.

So does anyone know what these are? they dont seem to quite match pictures of mushrooms iv seen online.

Thanks

Edited by liquidblue32 (07/13/05 06:58 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinewildbill
billbo
 User Gallery

Loc: shroomy central FL
Re: LBM ID in Pacific Northwest [Re: liquidblue32]
    #4401176 - 07/13/05 08:58 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

they look kinda like copes but deffinatly aren't, i dont think they are active.

--------------------
"ow-now-brown-cow" ~ _Ron Burgundy_

OfflineHuckleBones
Danger Bones

Re: LBM ID in Pacific Northwest [Re: wildbill]
    #4401775 - 07/14/05 12:17 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Those are very common 'round here. I use them as an indicator as I drive through subdivisions. (Pan Subbs are hard to see from a car.)

--------------------
Manitou

InvisibleYESSUP
In The Thick Of It
 User Gallery

Loc: SE Tex
Re: LBM ID in Pacific Northwest [Re: HuckleBones]
    #4401825 - 07/14/05 12:44 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Kinda funny I have the same mushroom in my lawn .. Here are a couple pics..

They are non active But a very cool schrooom!
"S"

--------------------
Gut Feeling leads to anxiety, Anxiety leads to fear, Fear leads to anger,And anger leads to regret.

Edited by YESSUP (07/14/05 12:49 AM)

OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site
Re: LBM ID in Pacific Northwest [Re: YESSUP]
    #4401871 - 07/14/05 01:05 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

not even close to copes. some species of conocybe (conocybe lactea, the poisonous dunce cap), or coprinus sp. of some sort.

nothing active, try again.

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: LBM ID in Pacific Northwest [Re: liquidblue32]
    #4402073 - 07/14/05 02:30 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Those are Conocybes, close to Conocybe lactea. Conocybes cannot be accurately identified to species without a microscope. Some Conocybe species contain the same toxins (amatoxin) as the deadly Amanita species, so they should not be eaten.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Microscope

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification