Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

Dwale - The Belladonna Garden (pics)
    #4328188 - 06/23/05 11:11 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Dwale. A name long forgotten to all but those who read Shakespeare and old herbalist books, as well as the lucky few able to study grimoires.

This thread is about the "Belladonna" aka "Death Herb" aka "Wolf Cherries" etc etc, known by its less confusing Latin name Atropa Belladonna.

Atropa stems off "Atropos", the Greek Fate that cut the life's thread of every mortal, a word from which Atropine is derived and the nature of its visions and poisoning symptoms probably gave rise to the word "Atrocious".

Dwale (being Wiccan I insist on the medievel name) is one of the world's most famous medicinal and psychotropic herbs. It is surprising that so few images are available. This thread will remedy that by creating the Shroomery's own "herbarium gallery" of the plant.

Atropa belladonna, Dwale, is unsuitable for recreational drug use. In the doses one tends to use it is highly poisonous and many fatalities have occurred throughout the centuries. In addition to that the cherries look very tasty and although filled with seed are readily mistaken for edible berries. Even in countries where Belladonna is rare it accounts for the majority of serious poisonings.
Therefore if you decide to grow this fascinating plant you must absolutely make sure that no uninstructed adults or children CAN have access to your garden, including trespassing kids looking for their lost ball etc. You CANNOT grow this plant in the wild because there you have no control over who approaches the plant. Accidental and deliberate (self)poisonings are fatal in 8-12% of cases.

That said i'd say let's bring out the pictures!

These are (C) to me and you are free to take copies for personal use. If you'd like them for your website (which must not promote its recreational use nor be drug-prohibitionist) give me a PM to ask permission, if I approve i've got big bitmaps for a better view.

-----

At a distance: a corner of my garden fully conquered by Dwale in bloom. Dwale likes half-shade, prefers the edge of forests and insists on calcium/lime-rich soil. I used 100ltr potting soil + 5 ltr limestone chunks used as kittylitter.
You wont get strong (and potent) plants without calcium!

-----

Up close you can see the texture of the leaves and flowers very well. This pic shows many characteristics.

-----

Atropa belladonna tries to really occupy every inch you give it, this branch explores the wall to find more space. Note the flowerbuds.

-----

Another branch. Notice the small, hanging, purple flowers.
It's not just an important plant: it's quite decorative too!

-----

A closeup of a few unripe berries. Notice the shades of green and the nubs. The crown-leaf has five points like a pentagram. The cherry is hard in this state.

>>>>> TO BE CONTINUED <<<<<

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org
higher knowledge starts here

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineesin
cheesefondue
 User Gallery

Loc: Lysergia
Re: Dwale - The Belladonna Garden (pics) [Re: Asante]
    #4328450 - 06/23/05 12:14 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Yup it's quite clear to see that a kid looking at that plant and its berries could be atracted to them. Looks inocent enough.

Scary stuff.

BTW, I would imagine the flowers to have more to do with the usual datura bloom shape. Aparently not.

/waiting impatiently for the continuation :wink:

InvisibleStonerguy
I smoke penis
Male

Loc: Lost
    #4329198 - 06/23/05 04:04 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I remember in your other thread, you talking about takinga dose of about 1 gram of leaf over a period of time. What are the affects like? I am actually started to read up on Wicca/shamanism/ chaos magic and was wondering where this fits in?

--------------------
yawn...
SG

Edited by Stonerguy (06/23/05 04:05 PM)

InvisibleMycoCakeEater
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Re: Dwale - The Belladonna Garden (pics) [Re: Stonerguy]
    #4329266 - 06/23/05 04:27 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

That shit scares me. I think a member of the Shroomery (Moe?) ate some of his homegrown and freaked out and it was while before he was back.

OfflineKalix
'Head

Re: Dwale - The Belladonna Garden (pics) [Re: MycoCakeEater]
    #4329273 - 06/23/05 04:31 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Blessed be.. A beautiful plant that's for sure.. I got one growing in my yard, but only for pretty flowers. I don't trust putting its magic in my body.

--------------------

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: The Shotgun of Sweet Reason

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

Re: Dwale - The Belladonna Garden (pics) [Re: Stonerguy]
    #4329511 - 06/23/05 05:38 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

I remember in your other thread, you talking about takinga dose of about 1 gram of leaf over a period of time.

This kind of memories put the lid on the coffin!
What I said is that the total amount of Dwale I use in an entire year is about 0.1 gram and that divided up into seperate occasions throughout the year.

I am facing a major dilemma for many months now as to whether I should write a Witching Herbs FAQ for the internet. I have got all the right information, more than anywhere I found on the web and very specific information too. It has the potential to save lives. However I really do not want to encourage anyone to risk life and limb for... Hell.

So I guess a poll is in order to help me shape my decision.

Would YOU, if you had the facts, write a Witching Herbs FAQ knowing full well you could save lives with potentially dangerous information?
You may choose only one

Votes accepted from (06/23/05 05:38 PM) to (No end specified)
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org

InvisibleStonerguy
I smoke penis
Male

Loc: Lost
    #4329774 - 06/23/05 06:40 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Any information is better than none. I know you would only present the facts. I for one will never try any of the witching herbs unless I dive into Wiccan alot more.

--------------------
yawn...
SG

OfflineOpenminded
Dicotyledon

Loc: England.
    #4337437 - 06/25/05 09:09 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Beautiful plants!

I'll get some photos of mine tomorrow, although they're much smaller than yours since they're in pots and aren't really getting much attention...

Do you find that you have a huge problem with slugs and snails attacking your plants?

OfflineOrangeVWCamper
"Tie Dye'dBandit"

Loc: Florida
Re: Dwale - The Belladonna Garden (pics) [Re: Openminded]
    #4337521 - 06/25/05 09:35 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Nice plants. Thanks for sharing!

Offlinenightkrawler
explorer
Male

Loc: new england
Re: Dwale - The Belladonna Garden (pics) [Re: OrangeVWCamper]
    #4340559 - 06/26/05 09:27 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

very nice

--------------------

Not all who wander are lost - J.R.R. Tolkien

OfflinePlok
Life is fractal
Male

Loc: Los Angeles
    #4341337 - 06/27/05 01:25 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I think most of us will agree with Shulgin; any and all known information about a drug should be available to any person who considers using that drug.

--------------------
Just say NO to the War on Drugs.

OfflineOpenminded
Dicotyledon

Re: Dwale - The Belladonna Garden (pics) [Re: Plok]
    #4342339 - 06/27/05 09:12 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Here are pics of mine. It's a pitty that I forgot about the bit of blue rubbish (an old paddling pool) in the background of the second one, I like that picture otherwise!

Compared to the 1st of April this year:

And the 5th of September last year (their first year). Check out the differences in the leaves between first and second years:

But they're no-where near as impressive as your beasts, W.S.!

Edited by Openminded (06/27/05 09:21 AM)

OfflineFluxburn
 User Gallery

Loc: Oakland, CA, USA Flag
    #4348953 - 06/28/05 11:55 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Interesting topic as always wiccan. I am still perplexed by the differences between the whole family. Datura is not the same plant or species but isn't it in the same classicifcation? I read up on erowid and etc, but the distinction between all the diference plants of the genre is quite confusing nonetheless.

--------------------
ABSTRACT ART (Mine) http://nathanbelomy.com

InvisibleYoung_but_cool
Stranger
Male

Loc: Old Europe
    #4349820 - 06/29/05 08:06 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Please, have no hesitations about writing that Witching Herbs FAQ.

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

#4351795 - 06/29/05 05:39 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Beautiful! I see great varity between yours and mine.

Nobody noticed yet that I have greenstemmed and purplestemmed Dwale!

I discovered whitefly was causing problems on my plants.
I took ten drops of peppermint oil, ten drops of lemon oil, one drop of dishwashing detergent and vigorously shook it into an emulsion with 0.5 liiter of water which i misted all over my belladonnas. There was flying "dandruff" everywhere! Menthol and Limonene are next-generation biological insecticides. Completely enviromentally friendly yet effective.

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org

OfflineOpenminded
Dicotyledon

#4351845 - 06/29/05 05:54 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

"Beautiful! I see great varity between yours and mine."

Thanks :smile:. Interesting that you should mention the difference. Before I came home from university this summer, I went and checked out the Cambridge botanical gardens which are just a few minutes walk from my flat there. They had some belladonna, and it was growing very short and wide. Probably about two feet tall, but in a bush maybe five or six feet accross. It was the white-flowered version, I don't know if it always grows differently to the purple-flowered, but it was remarkably different to the tall, upright growth of mine, and it looked very different in shape to yours as well. They did have it in an open spot though, whereas I keep mine in partial shade. It seems that growing conditions can have quite a large efect...

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

#4396121 - 07/12/05 02:16 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

My cherries have ripened :evil:

Well, a few weeks later now several cherries have ripened so I can show pics of the "Wolf Cherries" that Dwale is famous for!

Belladonna cherries tend to hang underneatch the branches and leaves: you will spot a few looking down on the plant but the treasure lies hidden.

A closeup. You can see why even in countries where Dwale is rare it still accounts for many of the dangerous plant poisonings. When people and Dwale cross paths and we choose to imbide, one in 8-12 people will die because of the poisoning.

You just got to have a taste! The cruelty of Dwale is that it is so tempting (far more tempting than brambles) to eat them, but they are a hard poison in high concentration. In case you are wondering: Belladonna cherries taste sweet with a sour taste to it and are filled with seed, the size of poppyseed. When dried they taste like bitter raisins. One yummy minute's indulgence can kill.

Two belladonna cherries on a research paper.
At a dose of two berries most healthy people will find themselves to be in a state of delirium. A large number of less-than-healthy people (and you might be one) might find themselves on the ICU if they're lucky or on the coroner's slab if they're late.

Please do not consider this dosage advice because it will result in severe poisoning, but two belladonna cherries (around 800mg dried) is the crude dosage the less-informed pagans of the stone age until renaissance times used for their visionary rituals.

Belladonna is highly exciting, instead of sedative like most Daturas.

At two cherries my throat and mouth was dried out completely. My hands swelled by edema so that I could not close them to a fist. Gradually a mist appeared and the scene became fairytale-like... and then nameless horrors unfolded, most of them forgotten by amnesia.

This was the most dangerous intoxication of my life, long ago, never to be repeated.

Well, so much for this installment. I intend to make a final one that shows it dried and prepared for herbalist's purposes. This will be mockup: it'll go in the compost bin after that as I only use 100mg dried Belladonna spread through an entire year at most, as an enhancement of meditation.

I'm considering whether I should offer seeds in the Free Ethno Seed thread. I'm not sure of that yet.

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org

OfflineVertigo6911
Entheobotanist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Netherlands
    #4400280 - 07/13/05 03:22 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

i wouldent worry about it.
datura seeds are traded all the time there.

--------------------
-Know ye not that ye are gods?-
My homepage

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies