Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
DIATOM spawn
    #4399963 - 07/13/05 01:52 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I have thought about using nutrient solution laden food grade Diatoms (diatomaceous earth = DE), which are microscopic, and contain 85% voids as spawn.

Diatom particles are characterized by their very irregular shapes, generally spiny structures and pitted surface area. They average only 5 to 20 microns in diameter, yet have a surface area several times greater than any other mineral with the same particle size.

DE can generally absorb up to 1 times, its own weight in liquid and still exhibit the properties of dry powder.

I am thinking, soak some DE in a nutrient solution, sterilize it, then bag or jar it up, inject LC, allow it to colonize, then pulverize the content in a stainless steel blender, then add the product to a substrate, just as you would grain spawn.

Any ideas, comments -or- suggestions.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: DIATOM spawn [Re: agar]
    #4399976 - 07/13/05 01:55 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

>comments

Those things look freaking cool and I wish I had the first pic as a poster to hang on my wall :smile:

Of course I have no idea...but it sounds good to me lol.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Invisibleohmatic
searcher
 User Gallery

Loc: europe
Trusted Cultivator
Re: DIATOM spawn [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4400007 - 07/13/05 02:05 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

il ike the idea of the "spawn powder", i wonder if it will work out as you want it to.
keep us updated.
peace ohm :mushroom2:

--------------------
:penis: MONOTUB tek :sun: HEATBOMB tek :penis:

RIP #cultivation! ....can't associate? well FUCK U !

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #4400053 - 07/13/05 02:19 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

scatmanrav said:
>comments

Those things look freaking cool and I wish I had the first pic as a poster to hang on my wall :smile:

Of course I have no idea...but it sounds good to me lol.

This I do know. Soak a pound of this stuff in compost or h/poo tea. Then add it to a 10 lb substrate mix, and it will get you big fruits & an extra heavy flushes (assuming all else is optimal).

I believe it releases moisture & nutrients - in a way that myc can draw on that reserve - as needed.

--------------------

InvisibleFooMan
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Earth Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #4400065 - 07/13/05 02:25 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

If you soaked it in the poo and then dried it, could you use it later if stored properly?  I like this idea :thumbup:
You could call it "Agar's Agar Powder" LOL.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
Re: DIATOM spawn [Re: FooMan]
    #4400076 - 07/13/05 02:29 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

>If you soaked it in the poo and then dried it, could you use it later if stored properly?

Excellent question..would it retain nutes when dried then rehydrated later with regular water..I wonder as well..

This stuff can be found just about anywhere right? Home Depot or Walmart, or should I try a garden center instead (little further drive)

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

InvisibleFooMan
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #4400084 - 07/13/05 02:33 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Kind of straying away from the original post, but just out of curiosity, could you use poo water for an LC if it were sterilized? You always get me thinking Agar :wink:

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #4400095 - 07/13/05 02:37 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Poo water is coffee colored, which is not a good thing for LC's.

--------------------

InvisibleFooMan
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #4400106 - 07/13/05 02:40 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

agar said:
Poo water is coffee colored, which is not a good thing for LC's.

Oh yeah, couldn't see contams too good like that huh? :foreheadslap:

Offlinexburn
V card
    #4400419 - 07/13/05 03:52 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

but the answer is yes. ANd it works pretty well(dilute to the color of light beer and add a little dextrose). The only problem is the contamination factor. Although many contams in LC have the same properties as myc and you dont know what you got till its to late. Honey and water or karo works fine. Why fix it if it aint broked.

back on topic though.

I know you said you used to take the nutrient rich spawn and pressure pack it into pellets... What would the ocnsistency of the powder be. I Wonder because if its like when you use BRF with no verm you get a really solid cake. What i am tryin to askis there enough space for the myc to colonize it quickly?

--------------------
Check out the official MushroomWiki at http://www.mushroomwiki.com. Stop by and contribute.

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: DIATOM spawn [Re: xburn]
    #4400550 - 07/13/05 04:23 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Just looking for cheaper - easy ways to do things.

Myc will colonize nutrient soaked Vern. DE -if- nute soaked will colonize - that I know. I tried it inside a petri dish.

DE is 85% voids. So, it can carry nutes & moisture inside, besides whatever clings to the outside.

With large amounts, compaction may be a problem.

I guess - we will see.

--------------------

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
    #4402891 - 07/14/05 09:30 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

scatmanrav said:
This stuff can be found just about anywhere right? Home Depot or Walmart, or should I try a garden center instead (little further drive)

The hard part is finding it sans slug baits or, as agar is shooting for, food-grade.

Concerning the parent post, I would think that the diatoms might collapse during sterilisation and would then likely lose all of those nifty attributes you're trying to leverage.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
Re: DIATOM spawn [Re: debianlinux]
    #4403050 - 07/14/05 10:17 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

sans slug baits or, as agar is shooting for, food-grade.

"Sans slug baits"? Food grade DE? I thought this stuff was used for slug repellant? Maybe "sans" means without? Without slug baits...Im pretty sure thats what you mean now that I think about it...

--------------------

Offlinered914
Minion
Loc: Utah
    #4403108 - 07/14/05 10:32 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

DE will kill almost all insects. I used it as a "casing" layer to keep flys off my namekos. It is non-poisonous, usually comes as a super fine powder, DONT INHALE IT! You will wish you hadn't. It is also used as a swimming pool filter material and sometimes as kitty litter but that is a pellet like stuff. It dosn't appear to change much if pc'ed or wet, once it drys out. It gets kind of muddy wet. It is also great for getting oil off your driveway, in the pellet form. It will pack tighter then concrete. I would think the gel balls would be a better spawn. DE is kind of like calk dust, the pores are so small a spore would look like a beach ball next to one.

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
    #4403473 - 07/14/05 12:21 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Pure DE doesn't attract or repel slugs it just kills them when they crawl over it.

All of the DE i have been able to find off the shelf in my area contain slug attractants; things I don't think I would want to ingest myself.

I had initially sought it out for use as outdoor bed perimeter defense. I couldn't convince myself that placing slug attractant around the bed I intended to protect was a good idea.

Offlinered914
Minion
Loc: Utah
    #4403928 - 07/14/05 01:50 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Try Boric acid powder for slugs. Boy, do they hate that, and again, it is non poisonous but is useless wet. I get DE in a bag at a big greenhouse nursery for $3. It is straight DE with no additives, sold as a environmental bug fix. For slugs, the beer pool works great too. They also hate copper.

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #4404093 - 07/14/05 02:29 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

agar said:

I have thought about using nutrient solution laden food grade Diatoms (diatomaceous earth = DE), which are microscopic, and contain 85% voids as spawn.

Diatom particles are characterized by their very irregular shapes, generally spiny structures and pitted surface area. They average only 5 to 20 microns in diameter, yet have a surface area several times greater than any other mineral with the same particle size.

DE can generally absorb up to 1 times, its own weight in liquid and still exhibit the properties of dry powder.

I am thinking, soak some DE in a nutrient solution, sterilize it, then bag or jar it up, inject LC, allow it to colonize, then pulverize the content in a stainless steel blender, then add the product to a substrate, just as you would grain spawn.

Any ideas, comments -or- suggestions.

you crazy mofo  :grin:

--------------------
buh

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #4404141 - 07/14/05 02:47 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

debianlinux said:
The hard part is finding it sans slug baits or, as agar is shooting for, food-grade.

I would think that the diatoms might collapse during sterilisation and would then likely lose all of those nifty attributes you're trying to leverage.

http://www.groworganic.com/item_PMB105_.html

DIAFIL?
Codex Food Grade.
Amorphous diatomaceous earth
Diatomite, uncalcined
Diatomaceous earth, natural

Melting point: 1710?C
Solubility in water: none
Amorphous Silica: 100% (by definition)
Crystalline Silica: <0.5%
Median Particle Size: 10 microns
Surface Area: 30 m2/gm

http://www.osha.gov/dts/chemicalsampling/data/CH_266690.html

The object is that mycelia so small that a few miles of them weighting less than a gram infiltrate the DE, then the DE would function as a spawn carrier.

Just as a side note. Everybody that eats grains & cereal products has ingested natural amorphous diatomaceous earth for 50 years. It is placed into stored grains & cereals at least that long - to inhibit infestations of certain insects. It cannot be removed, thus it gets processed right along with the grains/cereals into finished food products.

The dangerous DE is the CALCINED TYPE.

For those who doubt DE will colonize:

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: DIATOM spawn [Re: shirley knott]
    #4404365 - 07/14/05 03:26 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

shirley knott said:
Quote:

agar said:

you crazy mofo  :grin:

Would it not be nice to have a few jars of "spawn powder" tucked away in the fridge, for use - whenever. "crazy mofo" might make that happen..............LOL :stoned: :mushroom2: :grin:

--------------------

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #4404653 - 07/14/05 04:28 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Suppose someone came up with a really tough lab grade 36 ounce microwaveable container, rigged the lid with a filter patch, and injection port (microwaveable). Along with that container (or multiples of them) came nutrient laden (dry) DE in one pouch per container size.

Suppose you place a predetermined amount of DE in the container, then add a predetermined amount of spring water & stir the mix into a moist slurry. Then, place the container in the microwave, with the lid on, but not snapped tight. Then, microwaved it a predetermined amount of time. Then, snapped the lid on tight.

Also suppose the DE comes pre-sterilized & characteristics of the DE (glass like) allow to heat up very hot, without damage to the container.

After the container cooled to room temperature, it is injected with viable spore solution, or liquid culture, then incubated, and the content colonizes 100%. Then, the container is grasped firmly with both hands, is shaken, to break the content into small particles.

Then suppose the content is used as spawn into a pasteurized (or one that did not require pasteurization) bulk substrate.

I surmise that would be a step forward in home cultivation.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags