Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Culinary Arts, Gardening and Brewing

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Delicious Bacon

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineFrappy
Strange

Loc: South Florida
What should I cook for my girlfriend?
    #4398700 - 07/13/05 04:37 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I want to cook dinner for my girlfriend but I'm not sure what I should make. I have a nice bottle of red wine and would like to make something that would go with that. I'm not a fantastic cook, but I can follow directions. I'm just looking for something low fat, low carb, and slightly impressive but not terribly difficult. Any suggestions/recipes are welcome. Thanks!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblefufungi
Stranger
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: What should I cook for my girlfriend? [Re: Frappy]
    #4399245 - 07/13/05 11:57 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

If you have a crockpot, this recipe is unbelievably good: http://www.recipezaar.com/27208

I like to cut up carrots, mushrooms, onions, taters and put in with the meat. Serve with a nice salad. Easy and very good. If you want it to look a little more impressive, arrange the veggies around the roast on a platter and serve, or just dip it straight out of the crockpot.

Offlinedaimyo
Monticello

#4399546 - 07/13/05 01:58 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

What kind of wine is it? Port? Cabernet? Pinot Noir?

--------------------
"I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."

Offlinefelix
this and that
 User Gallery

Re: What should I cook for my girlfriend? [Re: daimyo]
    #4399709 - 07/13/05 02:33 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

i steer away from recipes containing onions or garlic when trying to be a bit romantic. if it's unavoidable, serve vanilla ice cream afterwards to cleanse the palate.

--------------------
Real botanists laugh at HPS systems, we do however use high pressure sodium in the parking lot. - artthug

Offlinefelix
this and that
 User Gallery

Re: What should I cook for my girlfriend? [Re: felix]
    #4399729 - 07/13/05 02:40 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

also, the word filet mignon always seems to impress. it's just a nice little piece of meat and could possibly take care of that impressive side. it's not very fatty and definitely low carb...and red wine goes good with red meat. make a side of vegetables and you're set. that would be a simple but impressive and satisfying light meal.

--------------------
Real botanists laugh at HPS systems, we do however use high pressure sodium in the parking lot. - artthug

OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site
    #4400883 - 07/13/05 07:45 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

dont forget the pussy for desert.

OfflineFrappy
Strange

#4401699 - 07/13/05 11:38 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

daimyo said:
What kind of wine is it? Port? Cabernet? Pinot Noir?

Honestly I don't remember. Its a bottle my sister brought me from a trip to Paris. I pretty sure its Cabernet, but I'm not positive. I can't read much of anything on the bottle and it isn't beside me right now.

OfflineFrappy
Strange

#4401721 - 07/13/05 11:48 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

felix said:
also, the word filet mignon always seems to impress.  it's just a nice little piece of meat and could possibly take care of that impressive side.  it's not very fatty and definitely low carb...and red wine goes good with red meat.  make a side of vegetables and you're set.  that would be a simple but impressive and satisfying light meal.

Yeah, we've done Filet Mignon a couple of times with varying degrees of success.  I will be cooking at her place and will have an oven and stove to work with. We usually eat our steak medium-rare. Do you have any suggestions on how to cook it properly? Some of our blunders produced steaks that come out raw on the inside and well done on the outside.  Any suggestions/recipes welcome.

Quote:

ShroomieOfDoomie said:
dont forget the pussy for desert.

Thanks Shroomie! Hopefully both of us will be having desert.  :smirk:

OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site
    #4401811 - 07/14/05 12:32 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I dont have to hope. I have my desert every night.

Offlinefelix
this and that
 User Gallery

#4403072 - 07/14/05 12:22 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

a good way to cook them is just in a pan on a high or medium-high heat or over a high heat grill. usually a pan is easiest. and a good way to see if it's done is to actually press on the meat. yo uknow that meaty piece of hand in between your thumb and forefinger? feel that while your hand is relaxed, that's the way rare should feel. if you make a loose, untightened fist and feel that part of your hand again, that's about medium rare. and if you make a tight fist, that part of your hand should feel sort of like medium well.

i like just salt and pepper on my steaks. salt and pepper is often the easiest and even the most flavorful. i like bold flavored steaks though. just put them in a heated pan coated with a bit of oil...they should cook quickly, no more than like 5 minutes on each side. i like it with a bit of pink on the inside.

but if you've done filet mignon before with her, it may not be as impressive as some other kind of dish.

--------------------

InvisibleAliceDee
-L S D-
Male
    #4403412 - 07/14/05 02:04 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

put it on the grill... way better....

Offlinedaimyo
Monticello

Re: What should I cook for my girlfriend? [Re: AliceDee]
    #4403701 - 07/14/05 03:06 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Well here is a meal that I enjoy. Can't say for sure how well it will compliment your wine, but if neither of you are connoisseurs, who's gonna care?

Salad

1/4 pound bacon(use turkey bacon or vegetarian bacon to cut fat)
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
1 tablespoon and 1-1/2 teaspoons honey
1/4 teaspoon dry hot mustard(if you cant find it use regular dry mustard or even dijon)
1/4 teaspoon celery salt
1/4 teaspoon ground paprika
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 head red leaf lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces
1/2 (15 ounce) can mandarin oranges, drained WELL
1/2 bunch green onion, diced
1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons slivered almonds(toasting them is great too)

1. In a medium skillet over medium-high heat, cook bacon until evenly brown. Drain, cool, and crumble.

2. To make the dressing, thoroughly blend the vinegar, honey, dry mustard, celery salt, paprika, and olive oil.

3. Place lettuce, oranges, green onion, bacon, and almonds in a serving bowl. Toss with dressing and serve.

Do not mix the salad ahead of time; after it sits it will get soggy.

Garlic Tenderloin

2 pounds beef tenderloin
2T olive oil
Salt
1/4 cup black pepper
6 cloves of garlic, peeled

1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

2. Season the fillet with olive oil, salt and cracked black pepper. Make six small slits in the tenderloin. Stuff each slit with a clove of garlic.

3. In a large saute pan, over high heat, sear the fillet for 2 minutes on each side.

4. Remove from the pan and place in the oven. Roast for 15 to 20 minutes for medium rare.

5. Remove from the oven and rest for 5 to 10 minutes before slicing.

Roasted Vegetables

8 zucchini, peeled and chopped
1 eggplant, peeled and diced
8 carrots, diced
16 cherry tomatoes
2 red onions, sliced
1 red bell pepper, sliced
1 yellow bell pepper, sliced
8 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon dried rosemary
1 teaspoon dried thyme
2 bay leaves, crushed
1 teaspoon dried oregano
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
salt and pepper to taste

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).

2. In a large bowl mix the zucchini, carrots, eggplant, carrots, tomatoes, onions and peppers with the oil, rosemary, thyme, bay leaves, oregano, garlic, lemon juice, lemon zest, salt and pepper. Cover and chill for at least 2 hours, and preferably overnight.

3. On a large roasting pan, roast the vegetables, uncovered, for 20 minutes, or until the tomatoes have split and the edges of some of the vegetables are starting to crisp. Remove from the oven and stir before returning to the oven for another 20 minutes. At this time reduce heat to 200 degrees F (95 degrees C) and continue cooking until vegetables are tender, turning every 20 minutes.

Strawberry Soup

2 pints strawberries
2 cups plain yogurt
1/2 cup orange juice
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup water
1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom(might have to look a little for this, but it is worth it)

1. In a blender, combine the strawberries, yogurt, orange juice, sugar, water and cardamom. Puree until well mixed. Chill and serve.

And there it is. From a salad appetizer down to a refreshing dessert. Let me know what you think of these if you end up using any.

--------------------
"I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."

Offlinefelix
this and that
 User Gallery

#4404046 - 07/14/05 04:16 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

that's a great menu. impressive and not difficult. i'd be happy if somebody preapared all that for me.

--------------------

Offlinedaimyo
Monticello

#4404068 - 07/14/05 04:21 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Almost forgot...
If it is decided to make both the tenderloin and vegetables, and only one oven is available, then I suggest you microwave the veggies a couple of minutes before roasting, and then roast for ~40 minutes @400F. That way you can have the veggies and the tenderloin going at the same time.

--------------------

InvisiblePsychoChipmunk
Small, Furry, Disturbed

Loc: A hole in your back yard
    #4405727 - 07/14/05 10:57 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

If you decide to go stove top, you can use a cup or so of the wine you are going to serve with dinner as a sauce. It works especially well if you have rubbed or added a seasoning to the fillets before you sear them. I personally like to do this with a Cabernet, or Cab/Shiraz blend. The Shiraz lends a nice spicy/smoky character to the finished product, but might be too strong for some.

In a nutshell:
-start the fillets. After you have flipped them once and seared the 2nd side for a minute or so, ladle about 1 oz (1/8 cup) of the wine over each cut of meat.

-Once the fillets are done to your satisfaction, remove them and allow to rest while you deglaze the pan with the remaining 3/4 cup or so of wine. (Deglazing means basically to add a liquid to a pan that has had something cooked in it. Reduce the heat to medium/medium low. You then gently scrape the pan with a spatula to dislodge all the nice caramelized bits of whatever it was you were cooking.)

-You'll want to simmer this uncovered till the volume is reduced by a about a third. You ought to have enough to get a couple tbsp per cut. Plate your meat and drizzle with wine sauce.

Good luck with dinner guy!

--------------------
\m/

Invisiblesoochi
Chef
 User Gallery

Loc: The Richest County
    #4409616 - 07/15/05 11:14 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

cut it into steaks, season with s and p then sear in a very hot pan with a little vegetable oil to just slightly coat the bottom of the fry pan, then start on the sides of the steak making sure to give enough time to form a nice caramelized crust all around the steak, do the sides first (you'll have three sides) then sear the flat sides last, this way you'll develop a better crust for presentation, then finish cooking it in a hot oven (300F) for about seven to ten minutes but you have to check frequently as it will cook fairly quickly, use the touch method (don't pierce with knife) med-rare should should feel like the muscle under your thumb if you had it touching your middle finger. Blanch veggies in salted boiling water then shock in ice water to retain color, then finish last minute in a saute pan with butter and maybe some herbs, this way everything will be hot. Make a pan sauce with some of the wine you'll be drinking, deglaze the drained pan (if drippings on bottom of pan are burnt, use a new pan or clean that one first) with the wine then reduce by half, add some beef or chicken broth then reduce by half again, then finally some cream, reduce until slightly thickened.

--------------------
Wee, sleeket, cowran, tim'rous beastie,
O, what panic's in thy breastie!
Thou need na start awa sae hasty,
Wi' bickering brattle!

InvisibleA3eyedfish
mycophile
 User Gallery

Loc: Wut some people Call Par...
    #4458881 - 07/27/05 04:58 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

felix said:
i steer away from recipes containing onions or garlic when trying to be a bit romantic. if it's unavoidable, serve vanilla ice cream afterwards to cleanse the palate.

lol, onions & garlic are the 2 most basic ingredients to most anything
If you leave them out the food is really bland

--------------------

OfflineMagicalMystery
turn off yourmind

Loc: Here, there and everywher...
    #4458968 - 07/27/05 06:37 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Chicken and gravy over waffles.

--------------------

"Men trained in arms from their infancy, and animated by the love of liberty, will afford neither a cheap or easy conquest."
From the Declaration of the Continental Congress

"We can have peace and security only as long as we band together to preserve that most priceless possession, our inheritance of European blood."
Charles A. Lindbergh,"Aviation, Geography, and Race", Reader's Digest, Nov. 1939

"We must secure the existance of our people and a future for White children."
David Lane

Offlinefelix
this and that
 User Gallery

Re: What should I cook for my girlfriend? [Re: A3eyedfish]
    #4462375 - 07/28/05 01:25 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

no way man, there are LOTS of tasty things that don't need garlic or onions.
one i tried the other day was something kind of like a pork chop simmered in a rosemary tomato sauce.

i love onions and garlic and use them in probably every 3 out of 5 recipes or meals, but it's a refreshing change without them...

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Delicious Bacon

General Interest >> Culinary Arts, Gardening and Brewing