Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Music, Art, and Media

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PureVPN PureVPN   NordVPN NordVPN

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinechaospilot
Ming I

tye-die help
    #4398509 - 07/13/05 03:14 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

well basicly, i want to learn how to tye-die, but i can only find instructions on how to do it using only one collor! I want to tye-die with 5 or 6 collors, and make it look nice. The only instructions i can seem to find that may tell you how to make it with more then 1 collor you have to pay for, which i do not plan on doing.

if anyone could tell me or link me to a website that tells you how to make tye-die with multiple collors instead of only one, then that will help out a lot!

thanks

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineliveby
Wasted For Time
 User Gallery

Re: tye-die help [Re: chaospilot]
    #4398973 - 07/13/05 09:15 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

what i normally do is get a white shirt and put a ball in the middle , hoe tie the shirt around it with rubber bands nice and tight around . like a tube . and every 3cm up the shirt put another rubber band nice and tight and you will get this >>>

hope i got thru to ya .

--------------------

http://www.bruceeisner.com/ -Creating a Sensible Culture

InvisibleZepplin
journeyman
 User Gallery

#4399056 - 07/13/05 10:19 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Usually shirts with collars don't look right tie-died. Try using a T-Shirt.

Offlinechaospilot
Ming I

Re: tye-die help [Re: Zepplin]
    #4400085 - 07/13/05 04:34 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

thanks for the help, but what i meant by more then 1 collor was like this...http://www.liquidshirts.com/graphics/tyedye/thumbnail/753-Mendocino.jpg

nice shirt btw, i was just wondering if instead of just pruple and white, if i can have pruple, white and blue, or something...

Edited by chaospilot (07/13/05 04:35 PM)

Offlinemojo23
Stranger
    #4400758 - 07/13/05 07:04 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Heya Chaospilot!

Using multiple dye colors in a single tie-dye shirt is not so hard. There are a few ways you can do this. I am no eggspurt but I have made a couple tie-dies before and can give you some ideas...

Back when I was like 6 or something I remember making a tie-dye shirt by making multiple bunches or twists in a shirt and cinching with rubber bands. The folks who had this set up for us kids had several drums of dye that we dipped the shirts into. Kind of like multi-dipping an easter egg. Start with lighter colors, of course. Also, since there were several bindings on the shirt, we'd dip different parts of the shirt in different dyes. They all turned out really cool. I was too young to remember exactly where or when I did this, but I really liked the tie-dyes and the process stuck with me. (Perhaps that was a telling sign of things to come for me when I got older, huh?!? :-)

The next two methods came from a vendor who followed the Schwag, a Dead cover band out of Saint Louis. I think they were "Tye Dye Express", but am not sure. They may still be around, but I have been away from the Schwag scene and Saint Louis lately. The cool thing was that they let you make your own tie-dyes there on the spot. They had everything set up for you.

All their dyes in plastic bottles, like the generic ones you can get for catsup and mustard. So mixing and matching colors was easy.

First thing was to soak the article to be tie-dyed in warm water for a while, then run it through an old-fashioned wringer. They had one set up with a hand crank and the two rollers against eachother would wring the shirts so they were moist but would not drip. I am not sure if the water was plain or had any soap in it. I think it was plain, as I believe that the soap will help "set" the dye.

Now for the first method, you lay out a large plastic sheet on the ground and put the article to be tie-dyed on top of it. Then have fun sqirting and dripping dye in whatever patterns you want to over the item. Flip it, and do the back too. Of course where you lay more dye it will soak through. But less dye won't. You can get some crazy/cool outcomes this way.

The second method was more complicated, but gave predictable patterns to the outcome. The deal is that you fold and twist the item certain ways, then bind it, before applying dye. They had a book full of fold patterns. The one I chose was a simple one where the pattern came out like ribs of colors in a "v" shape down the center of the shirt. I'll explain this pattern, since it is easy.

First you lay the wrung out shirt flat on a work table. The dampness makes it easy to get it perfectly flat and aligned. Then you fold the shirt in half, front side facing out, back side "in" the fold. You now have a half tee shirt, so whatever you do will be symmetrical left-to-right.

Now the pattern I used was to give like a v-shaped, ribbed or striped pattern. The ribs come from the way you fold next. The v-shape comes from the fact that I progress my folds along an axis that is at an angle to the center line of the shirt. This sounds more complicated than it really is. I wish I had a picture, but try and bear with me...

The folds are simple. Starting at the bottom of the shirt, fold up about an inch back onto the shirt. Then fold that under about an inch, back, and forth, accorcdian-style. After the first couple folds you don't set the folds flat as they stack up against each-other. Instead you set the folds on edge, and gather up about an inch at a time of the unfolded portion to the folded portion. Keep the accordian pinched tight with your fingers as you gather up more of the flat shirt, until you have it all accoridaned up.

Now if you start the folds perpendicular to the centerline of the shirt, you will get straight ribs. But if you start toward one corner of the bottom (inside or out), and work toward the opposite corner at the top of the shirt, you will get a V pattern either pointing up or down the shirt, depending on which corner you start from. The angle is all up to you, but extreem angles are harder to manage as you gather the material up into the accordian folds. The middle is okay but the edges want to unfold as you go. Just experiment a few times until you get it to fold up so that you can keep it together as you go.

Now once the shirt has been accoridian-folded like this, you get a bunch of rubber bands and cinch the shirt at several places along the fold. This is really just to hold the fold together, not to give any particular pattern, though the rubber bands cause the folds to be tigher where they are put on and affect the pattern in a positive way. So try to be fairly even, binding about every 2 inches. You end up with something akin to a folded log.

Now you take your bottled dyes and start dying the shirt. The outsides of the folds take up more dye, and the insides take up less. Experiment. This is where the ribbed effect comes from. If you soak one side of the folds with one color and the other side with another, you get the alternating colors. If you start at one end with one color, and switch up colors as you go left-to-right across one side of the folds, you get those different colors along a rib, with that same pattern of color repeating every other rib. What you do to the other side of the folds creates the coloring for the alternate ribs in-between. And remember, if you soak any spot with LOTS of dye, it will soak way down in and may even soak through, which may cool depending on what you're going for.

Once you have dyed-up the shirt, dip it in some soapy water for 5 minutes or so to help set the dye. Don't over-do it, just get some soap in there. Agitation is not needed. You're not trying to dilute and/or blend the dyes here. And don't wring the shirts after their short soak, just drip/shake them a bit so they aren't pouring with water. Being bound up, they won't absorb too much water here anyway. They're already saturated with dye and water. The idea is to get a little soap in there to begin setting the dye, I think.

The vendor then wrapped our bound shirts in some newspaper and said that when we get them home, wash the shirts a couple times in soapy water to set the dye. So leave the bound shirts to set for a few hours then wash them in soapy water 2 or three times. (You can un-bind them before washing, as you now want the soap to get to all of the dyed parts).

I hope you get some really nice results!

Peace, and good luck!

Mojo23

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: PureVPN PureVPN   NordVPN NordVPN

General Interest >> Music, Art, and Media