Home | Community | Message Board

Gaiana.nl
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisibleflowstone
blustering

Loc: precious
Gourmet hunter seeks advice from pros
    #4397823 - 07/12/05 11:56 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I need to know how I can search land that is not government property. Should I ask foresters to search their land, or maybe search large abandoned owned lots, without permission. In the woods, you are alone( or so you hope :ninja:) It just sucks hunting at parks because an overlying rule is you are not allowed to pick mushrooms or plants. I think I will try to ask private landowners, or look at aerial maps to find deem-able territory and place to park for a while.

Here is what else I need to know: What other mushroom are growing wild in the south east right now that are edible, AND, how do you find large areas of wild land to search for gourmets outside of state  or county parks.

--------------------
these long agonizing months without you...have been long and agonizing..
"War Doesn't Decide Who's Right... It Only Decides Who's Left."

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Anonymous

Re: Gourmet hunter seeks advice from pros [Re: flowstone]
    #4397846 - 07/13/05 12:04 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

i wear a mask and pick every mushroom i see wherever i go. i go in peoples horse feilds in the middle of day and i just keep looking untill the security comes. i live life the way i want to. the authority can smb

OfflineMitchnast
Trial by Madness
Male User Gallery Arcade Champion: Mahjong

Loc: Okanagan Flag
Re: Gourmet hunter seeks advice from pros [Re: ]
    #4397862 - 07/13/05 12:10 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

yikes, thats the dark side man

--------------------

Anonymous

Re: Gourmet hunter seeks advice from pros [Re: Mitchnast]
    #4397977 - 07/13/05 12:47 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Mitchnast said:
yikes, thats the dark side man

no no, its a lifestyle. did i mention that i ONLY wear a mask :wink:

Offlinemattymonkey
Feel Like aStranger...
 User Gallery

#4398949 - 07/13/05 08:47 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

are you sure about that underlying rule at state parks flowstone? have you talked to any rangers or called anyone about it? you may be able to pick there.. i know in some places where there are a lot of commercial hunting going on they have created limits to how much you can pick but i always thought it would be just fine to pick on state grounds... thats actually where i do most of my scouting..

other then that i just walk in my or my own friends back yards.. i live in vermont and there are a lot of woods around.. i personally will cross boundaries if i walked there from a friends house.. i just dont feel like i am doing any wrong there.. i definetly will turn right around if i see any house or any sign of someone's own living space, but i feel OK just walking around in the woods... the borders are something we made up.. i feel like a being of the forest.. the deer dont ask permission to walk in the woods.. its their right, i feel similiar, as long as i am not invading someone's private space...

good luck

Offlinemattymonkey
Feel Like aStranger...
 User Gallery

#4398952 - 07/13/05 08:49 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

also to note, i am apprentecing right now with some commercial wildcrafters who make their living just picking mushrooms and plants... they do a lot of scouting on the road, as they drive the backroads.. and they always ask permission before going on people's land.. they have their own spots/beds already mapped out though, and most of the scouting work is already done.. if you do find a really nice bed of chanterelles or something that will come back every year, it would be worth it to talk to the people who own the land.. most often they will be nice, but i guess its a gamble....

InvisibleLeftyBurnz
Mr. I Eat Butthole
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Wang
Re: Gourmet hunter seeks advice from pros [Re: mattymonkey]
    #4399070 - 07/13/05 10:31 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

i dont give a damn about that rule either, if i find something interesting i pick it. and its fun jumping into someones horsefield in the middle of the day isnt it mizike lmao. i jumped into this one guys field WHILE he was grooming his horse.... he just looked at me like i was some kind of retard running around grabbing as many shrooms as i could before hauling ass... hahaha the look on his face was priceless. he didnt even move or say anything.

--------------------
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." 
~Thomas Jefferson

A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.
~George Washington

OfflineEnvirorational
Environmentalist/ Father

Loc: Dorawoodycross
Re: Gourmet hunter seeks advice from pros [Re: LeftyBurnz]
    #4399114 - 07/13/05 11:01 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

There are millions of acres of forest land owned by timber companies and what not. Those are great, because the likelihood of you running into people is tiny. Just remember, you need to avoid those spots come Mid September, because Deer Murdering season starts, and you may get your ass shot. Even if you wear blaze orange, some redneck (I have a couple of cousins that fit into this category) might shoot you just because you scared off the deer he was about to kill.

--------------------
Expand Society with Knowledge - ESK

Invisiblepsiclops
# 1
 User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Re: Gourmet hunter seeks advice from pros [Re: Envirorational]
    #4399613 - 07/13/05 02:13 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

yeah, when you do that shit, it feels like you are in an old Sierra game and all the people want to get you.

OfflineLysergic_Milkman
Dr. Fist
Male

Loc: ATL
Re: Gourmet hunter seeks advice from pros [Re: mattymonkey]
    #4400241 - 07/13/05 05:15 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

mattymonkey said:
are you sure about that underlying rule at state parks flowstone? have you talked to any rangers or called anyone about it? you may be able to pick there.. i know in some places where there are a lot of commercial hunting going on they have created limits to how much you can pick but i always thought it would be just fine to pick on state grounds... thats actually where i do most of my scouting..

other then that i just walk in my or my own friends back yards.. i live in vermont and there are a lot of woods around.. i personally will cross boundaries if i walked there from a friends house.. i just dont feel like i am doing any wrong there.. i definetly will turn right around if i see any house or any sign of someone's own living space, but i feel OK just walking around in the woods... the borders are something we made up.. i feel like a being of the forest.. the deer dont ask permission to walk in the woods.. its their right, i feel similiar, as long as i am not invading someone's private space...
good luck

You took the words right out of my mouth! fingers i mean.

I have no trouble at all finding good hunting spots. My patch for just about all the edibles i find is about 50ft. from my house. a little stretch of woods.

And to answer the question of other edibles in Georgia, get a field guide, there's too many edibles in season for me to name them all. I like the Smithsonian's handbook.

Invisibleflowstone
blustering

Loc: precious
Re: Gourmet hunter seeks advice from pros [Re: Lysergic_Milkman]
    #4400286 - 07/13/05 05:23 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Thank you everyone who replied constructively. And yes, I'm sure you are not allowed to pick. At least from all the parks along the Chattahoochee here in GA. It may be different on federal parks, but these are state parks. I really wish I did my research on other edibles in the area before I did this massive three day chanterelle hunt, cause I know I left some other varieties behind. Literally EVERY mushroom that could be fruiting, is. And still is. It's seriously a flower shop out there :smile:
I appreciate all your advice.

--------------------
these long agonizing months without you...have been long and agonizing..
"War Doesn't Decide Who's Right... It Only Decides Who's Left."

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification