Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Boomr Bag   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineChronicBarry
Willy Wonka'sIntern

Loc: Bat Country
Cakes colonized, bout to dunk and case. Last minute Q's..
    #4396714 - 07/12/05 04:56 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Ok, so I got 6 BRF jars ready to bew birthed. Let me run down my plan. I'm going to dunk the cakes for 24 hours in purified water. After, I'm going to case in 50/50 mix of verm and Canadian Sphagnum peat moss (to be specific). Now, for the questions. Do I need hydrogen peroxide when i dunk and i need to cut off the top layer of verm on the cakes before i dunk, right? Next, before I case, do i break up the cakes in nickel sized chunks or in slices like if you were cutting a tomatoe (Can i use an exacto knife or will that hurt it?)? Not sure which is better. Also, theres the whole thing with pH balance when casing. They say to use lime for short term adjustment and pyster shells for long term. Can I just use the shells because I'm afraid of killing my colonies if I mess up the mixture. LASTLY, do you reccomend a layer of casing on the bottom of the tray as well? Sorry bout all the questions but I've been researching and reading old posts and just had tons of questions.

--------------------
Excuse me, while I kiss the sky...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinemickeymicmic
word

Re: Cakes colonized, bout to dunk and case. Last minute Q's.. [Re: ChronicBarry]
    #4396732 - 07/12/05 05:00 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

ill answer the way i understand things myself, no hydro peroxide for dunking, i believe it will hurt the myc just like any contam, but sterilize the water beforehand to be safe. i would get rid of the verm layer, but i dont think its that important. for casing, if u break it up in a ziplock baggie into chunky mush, u can lay it on top of a thin layer of the casing and put the rest of the casing on top. thats how i would do it, but i would also wait for a more experienced person to answer. for ph, i have no idea.

Edited by mickeymicmic (07/12/05 05:03 PM)

Invisiblemetasin
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Cakes colonized, bout to dunk and case. Last minute Q's.. [Re: mickeymicmic]
    #4396795 - 07/12/05 05:12 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

When I used to do cakes I always put a capful of h2o2 in the jar AFTER I filled it with water.
I would scrape off as much vermiculite as I could because it expands and will pool water on top of your innoc holes or on the floor where the water overflows.
I would break up your cakes in a bag so there is less contact with your dirty ass fingers.
If you worry about f'n up your casing mix due to pH I would just get some coco coir and do it that way.
A casing layer is debateable on the bottom. I have had good results from both. Some ppl say its an invite for contams, but with proper misting you don't HAVE to have it.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Boomr Bag   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder