Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinejcldragon
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Los Angeles
Boycott Exxon/Mobil
    #4395430 - 07/12/05 10:20 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Normally, I click off & delete chain letters as fast as anybody else, but this one caught my eye, and actually seems reasonable. The idea is that if people boycott the largest oil corporation, that it will force them to lower their gas prices, generating a price war. Take a look at this:

Quote:

"Dear Friends, I'm not the biggest fan of chain letters. But this concerns our pockets! Please read, copy and paste, and send it on to your friends if you feel inspired.
Thanks! Sheree White

$3.00 Gas?

THIS MAKES MORE SENSE THAN THE FORMER CAMPAIGN TO NOT BUY GASOLINE ON A CERTAIN DAY. FOLKS, IF WE DON'T DO SOMETHING, WE WILL BE PAYING $3 BEFORE THE END OF SUMMER. THIS ONE WE CAN DO WITHOUT ANY HARDSHIPS ON US. PUT THE MONKEY ON THE BACK OF THOSE WHO ARE TAKING OUR MONEY.

Join the resistance!!!! I hear we are going to hit close to $3.00 a gallon by the summer and it might go higher!! Want gasoline prices to come down? We need to take some intelligent, united action.
Phillip Hollsworth, offered this good idea: This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the "don't buy gas on a certain day" campaign that was going around last April or May! The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue to "hurt" ourselves by refusing to buy gas. It was more of an inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them. BUT, whoever thought of this idea, has come up with a plan that can really work.

Please read it and join with us! By now you're probably thinking gasoline priced at about $1.50 is super cheap. Me too! It is currently $2.29 for regular unleaded in my town. Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the cost of a gallon of gas is CHEAP at $1.50- $1.75, we need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the marketplace .... not sellers. With the price of gasoline going up more each day, we consumers need to take action. The only way we
are going to see the price of gas come down is if we hit someone in the pocketbook by not purchasing their gas! And we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves.

How? Since we all rely on our cars, we can't just stop buying gas. But we CAN have an impact on gas prices if we all act together to force a price war.

Here's the idea: For the rest of this year, DON'T purchase ANY gasoline from the two biggest companies (which now are one), EXXON and MOBIL. If they are not selling any gas, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit. But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of Exxon and Mobil gas buyers. It's really simple to do!! Now, don't whimp out on me at this point ... keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach millions of
people!!

I am sending this note to about thirty people. If each of you send it to at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300) ... and those 300 send it to at least ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000)...and so on, by the time the message reaches the sixth generation of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers. If those three million get excited and pass this on to ten friends each, then 30 million people will have been contacted! If it goes one level further, you guessed it..... THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!!

Again, all you have to do is send this to 10 people. That's all. (If you don't understand how we can reach 300 million and all you have to do is send this to 10 people.... Well, let's face it, you just aren't a mathematician. But I am ... so trust me on this one.)
How long would all that take? If each of us sends this e-mail out to ten more people within one day of receipt, all 300 MILLION people could conceivably be contacted within the next 8 days!!! I'll bet you didn't think you and I had that much potential, did you! Acting together we can make a difference. If this makes sense to you, please pass this message on. PLEASE HOLD OUT UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO THE $1.30 RANGE AND KEEP THEM DOWN. THIS CAN REALLY WORK.

Kerry Lyle, Director, Research Coordinator Ray Brecker W2RXB"

Now I could pick apart the reasoning here, if I wanted to. Lots of people simply won't pass on any chain letter, no matter how good the idea is. Many people probably are already boycotting Exxon/Mobil, because of the Exxon/Valdez oil spill. However, the concept of economicly boycotting a corporation, because you don't like their policies (ahem... WalMart), really is sound, and it is an opportunity to vote with your buck. Corporations do hear that, because money doesn't talk. Money Screams!

So now I'll put the ball in your court, and you will do what you think best...

--------------------
The Soul exists simultaneously throughout all of Time.
The Ego merely exists now.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineProsgeopax
Jaded, yethopeful?

Loc: Appearing at a mall near ...
Re: Boycott Exxon/Mobil [Re: jcldragon]
    #4395445 - 07/12/05 10:30 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I telecommute and urge everyone that is able (by the nature of your type of work) to do your best to work this way as well. I usually buy gas at Arco because it's cheaper.

--------------------
Money doesn't grow on trees, but deficits do grow under Bushes.

You can accept, reject, or examine and test any new idea that comes to you. The wise man chooses the third way.
- Tom Willhite

Disclaimer: I reserve the right to change my opinions should I become aware of additional facts, the falsification of information or different perspectives. Articles written by others which I post may not necessarily reflect my opinions in part or in whole, my opinions may be in direct opposition, the topic may be one on which I have yet to formulate an opinion or have doubts about, an article may be posted solely with the intent to stimulate discussion or contemplation.

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
    #4395449 - 07/12/05 10:32 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

The age of cheap oil is over. Prices are going to keep getting higher from here. There may be small blips in the prices from time to time, but the graph is going up. Anyone who thinks we can reverse the trend knows nothing about economics.

--------------------

Invisiblepsilomonkey
Twisted brainwrong of a oneoff man mental

Loc: Airstrip One
Re: Boycott Exxon/Mobil [Re: Silversoul]
    #4395452 - 07/12/05 10:34 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

A classic example of demand and supply at work, both are going in the wrong direction for the price to fall.

Invisiblenewuser1492
    #4395597 - 07/12/05 11:29 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

*cough* *cough* Hubbert Peak Oil *cough* *cough

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order