Home | Community | Message Board

The Spore Depot
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Peruvian Torch, Portable Greenhouse, San Pedro

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflinePlasticFantastic
AspiringWoodsman
Growing cacti from seed.
    #4395224 - 07/12/05 10:25 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I just ordered some Peruvian Torch and San Pedro cacti seed and am thinking of what kind of setup i should make. I've read that a store bought cactus potting soil will do fine but am wondering if I should plant all of them in one big container and then transplant when they get larger? Or maybe all Peruvian Torch's in one and San Pedro's in another. Also, will they grow well in a 70-75F room in front of a window that gets a fair amount of sunlight. I have a few other cacti growing in these conditions but have never started any from seed. Any input would be much appreciated.

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineHikuli
Stranger

Re: Growing cacti from seed. [Re: PlasticFantastic]
    #4395236 - 07/12/05 10:34 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

ordinary cactus potting soil is just fine, get a mini greenhouse and start using small plastic pots. keep it moist, cactus is easy to transfer but I use small pots (3x3 cm) and 1 seed in each pot, sometimes i can use 2 in one pot but and them 1-1.5 cm seperated. I* use artifical light until 4-5 months, if given too much sunlight in a window they turn red. they can grow in a wide range of temperatures, they can have it hot as hell in the summer but keep them cold and dry in the winter

OfflinePlasticFantastic
AspiringWoodsman
Re: Growing cacti from seed. [Re: Hikuli]
    #4395262 - 07/12/05 10:44 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks that was very informative, my only comment is that the window they'll be in doesn't get really hard direct sun for more than an hour then it's just moderate rays comin in. If I just leave them there all the time you think it'll be good. Oh, and by mini greenhouse you mean a container built out of plastic with a transparent top?

--------------------

InvisibleSuperD
Cacti junky
 User Gallery

Loc: The bridgesii bridge
    #4397949 - 07/13/05 12:41 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I covered my seedling tray of P. Torches with a plate of glass bought at home depot (12x16") and taped a big sheet of tracing paper cut to fit the glass on the top, then taped it. The tracing paper keeps harsh light from burning my seedlings but it's enough to where it grows healthy (plus it keeps moisture in since the glass covers the entire tray). Since you said yours aren't getting much direct sunlight in the first place, this might not even apply to you. But if you were to move them to a window that gets more sun, I'd suggest doing this.

--------------------
:super:D
Manoa said:
I need to stop spending all my money on plants and take up a cheaper hobby, like heroin. :lol:

Looking for Rauhocereus riosaniensis seeds or live specimen(s), :pm: me if you have any for trade

Offlinefoo
tsonoqua
 User Gallery

Re: Growing cacti from seed. [Re: SuperD]
    #4399728 - 07/13/05 02:40 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

What about fungicides?
I've read about a need for fungicide like chinosol (which I've never been able to find) when growing cacti from seed.
Is this really necessary?

--------------------
"I get up, I walk, I fall down. Meanwhile, I keep dancing."

OfflinePlasticFantastic
AspiringWoodsman
Re: Growing cacti from seed. [Re: foo]
    #4401130 - 07/13/05 08:48 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

That is a good idea to keep the light out if needed, and yeah is the fungicide needed?

--------------------

InvisibleSuperD
Cacti junky
 User Gallery

Loc: The bridgesii bridge
    #4401185 - 07/13/05 09:00 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I've never used fungicide and have never had a problem with my seedlings, ever. I usually only see the need for fungicide when people let their soil / potting medium get way too soaked with water.

To start the seedlings I usually place the tray in a pot of water, so that the water rises up from the bottom through the drainage holes I cut and gets the entire soil evenly wet.

After that, if you keep it covered with something to trap in the humidity, all you have to do is let them get some fresh air. Once the soil starts drying out from the original bottom soaking, I usually keep it damp, but not soaked like it was the first time I gave it water. Again these are just my own personal methods..I'd love to hear if anyone else does something different and if so, how the results were.

--------------------
:super:D
Manoa said:
I need to stop spending all my money on plants and take up a cheaper hobby, like heroin. :lol:

Looking for Rauhocereus riosaniensis seeds or live specimen(s), :pm: me if you have any for trade

OfflineHikuli
Stranger

#4403571 - 07/14/05 02:46 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

PlasticFantastic said:
Thanks that was very informative, my only comment is that the window they'll be in doesn't get really hard direct sun for more than an hour then it's just moderate rays comin in. If I just leave them there all the time you think it'll be good. Oh, and by mini greenhouse you mean a container built out of plastic with a transparent top?

yeah thats what I mean with a mini greenhouse. After some time I take them outside of the greenhouse. I usually place the pots on a tray wich is 1.5 cm with small rocks and 1.3 cm water (the pots should not touch the water) this prevents the small plastic pots to dry out too fast. After some time I t\put them into clay pots . you can of course use indirect sunlight but be careful with direct sunlight, they get easy burned

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Peruvian Torch, Portable Greenhouse, San Pedro

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden