Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinedaimyo
Monticello

Black Neighborhoods
    #4394710 - 07/12/05 01:24 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I am curious if anyone on this board lives near a "good" black neighborhood. By this I mean a place where the population is mostly black, and people don't stand on the corners selling drugs. A place where older folks are not afraid to walk down the street.
If so, where is it? Also, what do you think allows the peopel to be "decent"?
For those that do not know of any such neighborhood, what political causes do you think create this stereotypical neighborhood? Welfare? Drugs? Rap music?

--------------------
"I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineWhiteRabbitt
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Black Neighborhoods [Re: daimyo]
    #4394730 - 07/12/05 01:29 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

That's an oxymoron sir.

--------------------
You gotta jump and swing up to hit me in the knees.

Invisibledownforpot
Stranger
Male
Re: Black Neighborhoods [Re: WhiteRabbitt]
    #4394754 - 07/12/05 01:34 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I do. I used to live there and go to school there and I still go to chill with friends. However, it's a pretty diverse place, so it has a alot of blacks and whites. Whites don't have to worry about getting killed, just jacked for their shit. Now, if you are a black dude wearing a blue or red colored clothing, then you better worry. Most of my black friends try to refrain from wearing blue or red around here.

--------------------

http://www.myspace.com/4th25

"And I don't care if he was handcuffed
Then shot in his head
All I know is dead bodies
Can't fuck with me again"

OfflineWhiteRabbitt
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Black Neighborhoods [Re: downforpot]
    #4394789 - 07/12/05 01:42 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

What you just described is the exact opposite of a good neighborhood.

--------------------
You gotta jump and swing up to hit me in the knees.

InvisibleAbstractHarmonix
Love is like a train...
Female

Loc: The Sea
    #4394830 - 07/12/05 01:55 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I DO! I DO!

KALAMAZOO!

--------------------
A plethora of music aspirations control my temptations of future revelations beyond "now". The percussion, and the heart beat of my love and devotion. The rhythm goes beyond, prying into the third eye, releasing the creativity held so far inside. The melodicies, through the out of tune pianos and broken classical guitars...there lies a beauty. A beauty as prevelent as the fire inside. To release these energies is pure ecstacy, to deveop these gifts is sacred. The vocality, so pure as can be, shying away from herself, lies within me. For the underlying serenitity, this is what I live for. I plea for harmony, and nothing more. Music equals love. Creation of love leads to the procreativity of the World, and it's spirals and puddles prevailing.

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Black Neighborhoods [Re: AbstractHarmonix]
    #4395044 - 07/12/05 05:06 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I live in a country that is mostly black with whites being a very small minority. There are areas that I have walked at night and not worried at all about my safety, and there are areas that I won't visit even in the daylight.

> what political causes do you think create this stereotypical neighborhood?

I suspect it is a mixture of culture, poverty, and discrimination. When somebody has nothing, and has no hope to achieve anything, why do we expect them to care about being a good person? To top it off, the minorities that are able to succeed are shunned by their own families for "selling out to the white man".

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

InvisibleKrishna
कृष्ण,LOL
 User Gallery

Loc: oakland
Re: Black Neighborhoods [Re: AbstractHarmonix]
    #4395072 - 07/12/05 05:44 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

XOIIAresIIOX said:
I DO! I DO!

KALAMAZOO!

i'd say the 'north-side' of kzoo is the most predominately 'black', and i most definitely wouldn't be eager to go to a party there on a friday night. certainly nothing to do against the people who live there as people or anything like that, but i know waaaaaaay too many people who have been to parties broken up by guns/violence - something that i want to have nothing to do with.

--------------------

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
    #4395354 - 07/12/05 09:43 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Usually the black people who are well off move to white neighborhoods. There's one such black guy in my neighborhood.

--------------------

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

#4395357 - 07/12/05 09:44 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

BTW, there's an interesting book called "American Apartheid" about this subject.

--------------------

OfflineSeussA

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Black Neighborhoods [Re: Silversoul]
    #4395370 - 07/12/05 09:50 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

> Usually the black people who are well off move to white neighborhoods

Do they really move to white neighborhoods, or simply move to better neighborhoods, which happen to have a white majority... hmmm... semantics, I suppose...

--------------------

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Re: Black Neighborhoods [Re: Seuss]
    #4395377 - 07/12/05 09:55 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I stand corrected.

--------------------

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #4395459 - 07/12/05 10:38 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I do.

I live in Grand Rapids, where many shitty part of the city are being restored by minorities. There are black parts of town where new businesses are being opened, houses are being restored (it's an old part of town), and generally the atmosphere is very, very friendly.

There are also many parts of town where the same thing is being done by the Hispanic population, though the proces is going much slower.

OfflineLearyfanS
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
    #4395605 - 07/12/05 11:32 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I recently downloaded something called "Hood 2 Hood: A Blockumentary". It's a documentary where these guys go to the worst neighborhoods in America: Bronx, Brooklyn, New York, Atlanta, New Orleans, Little Rock, Houston, Compton, LA, etc.. It's very fascinating to see how these people live. I'll never be able to see it with my own eyes in this life other than on video. These people have no qualms about pulling out a pound of weed from their boxers, illegal guns, HUGE stacks of money and bragging about having killed people, etc.. It was sad, funny and very fascinating all at the same time.

I'll bet the CIA is very happy with the situation in these neighborhoods. Their attempt at poisoning the black community with crack is really working in these places.

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month:  Sons Of Adam - Feathered Fish

Invisibledownforpot
Stranger
Male
Re: Black Neighborhoods [Re: WhiteRabbitt]
    #4395628 - 07/12/05 11:42 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I still love that place. The place I lived at before I came to US was controlled by mafia, gangs of orphans ran the streets, so when I came to the US it wasn't that bad at all. I love that place, black culture is the shit man. I can honestly say I got more in common with blacks and I am not the first person from my country to say that. And no, I don't talk black or dress black. I speak proper english and 2 other languages. I still love that neighborhood, so many people, from different places, blacks, whites, I love it.

--------------------

Then shot in his head

OfflineSeussA

Folding@home Statistics
    #4395635 - 07/12/05 11:44 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

> I stand corrected.

Or I do... I'm not sure that either of us are right or wrong...

--------------------

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #4395692 - 07/12/05 12:01 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah, "white flight" can go either way. It can either be a sunconscious form of racism where middle-class white people who live in the city decide to move to a safer neighborhood (ie: no minorities) or it can be asimple decision that includes no racism (say, the person wants a larger back yard). It's one of those problems that is really hard to put a finger on.

Offlinedaimyo
Monticello

#4395728 - 07/12/05 12:12 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

BTW, there's an interesting book called "American Apartheid" about this subject
Thanks for the heads up. I'll check that out as soon as I can.

Usually the black people who are well off move to white neighborhoods.
This is the most interesting part of this to me. Even when a good black person moves into a white neigborhood, the FOR SALE signs start going up. Businesses move to better neighborhoods, and the people follow. Within 2 years a street that was all white becomes predominantly black. The older blacks are usually good people, but their kids are heathens and soon want to be tough and start abusing/selling drugs, robbing stores, jumping people. Within 5 years the neighborhood is well on its way to being what they originally tried to leave.
This is where my blame on rap music comes in. If these children we're not constanly exposed to "Yo yo bitches I be hasn my strap fo cracks" I feel they'd have a better chance.
Then there is welfare. By giving people stuff for free you are encouraging laziness. I can understand food stamps for SOME that truly need them, but housing vouchers? That is just ridiculous. Why should someone that is too lazy to get a job, or lacks the education to fill out an application get to live in a $250,000 house or condo for $150 a month?

--------------------
"I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."

Invisibledownforpot
Stranger
Male
    #4395746 - 07/12/05 12:14 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Actually that is what's happening in my current neighborhood. I fucking hate it. We will probably move too... Shit, I might move to New York because it's so dense and people and businesses can't get away from the "black man". haha

--------------------

Then shot in his head

OfflineVex
Stranger
    #4395779 - 07/12/05 12:27 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

In most cities these days they try to mix low cost housing areas in with the nicer areas in an effort to make things more balanced and make it seem less like segregation. What results usually is a a project right next to a nice neighborhood. I live in a pretty good neighborhood but just down the street in several directions you can find a neighborhood with pretty much nothing but black people and they usually aren't to good. You'll see crack heads and sometimes crack whores walking through your nice neighborhood to get from point a to point b. It's weird. I rent a house in a pretty nice neighborhood that has some houses in it that must be 300k dollar houses and i remember one time me and a friend were sitting on the porch and we noticed a hooker trying for a long time to flag down cars on the corner of our road.

Anyways, i don't like the way they are trying to hide the problem, or whatever it is they are trying to do, because not it's not just a problem of maybe having to drive through the old ghetto to get somewhere, but a problem for everyone. It seems like no matter how these little projects seem to start out they end up flooded with crack. I don't know of any nice black neighborhoods, but i do know of nice black neighbors i've had. I've never been through a neighborhood on a saturday afternoon where i see a bunch of nice looking black folks mowing there grass or trimming the hedges etc etc..

and has anyone noticed that martin luther king jr ave. always runs through a really shitty, all black ghetto? In almost every city i've been to in the south...you pass MLK blv. and it is horrible looking! I was thinking about it the other day and i know the reason for this is black people are supposed to appreciate the praise of martin luther king but i was thinking that it's more of a slap in the face to poor black people stuck in a ghetto. It's like rubbing salt in the wound because here's your tribute to MLK who fought and gave his life to end segregation and here you are and he basically changed dick for you because you are still poor and still in a ghetto. I wonder if the people in the ghettos think about that.

edit: also i live in NC. and it is completly different in the south that up north or the mid west. Segregation still exists he (as far as neighborhoods) in a alarming way. Even in tiny shithole towns there is always a ghetto that is populated by blacks. Hispanics seem to do ok though.

Edited by Vex (07/12/05 12:37 PM)

OfflineSeussA

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Black Neighborhoods [Re: Vex]
    #4395793 - 07/12/05 12:35 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

> What results usually is a a project right next to a nice neighborhood.

There are places here that literally, I will walk down one side of the street, but not the other.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom