Home | Community | Message Board

Marijuana Demystified
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineSigno
manamana
 User Gallery

Loc: Purple Haze
Marriage (Same Sex and Opposite Sex)
    #4394629 - 07/12/05 02:58 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

The institution of marriage is an interesting one. It is also a part of many cultures where people of the same sex cannot become married. Civil unions don't give anywhere near the rights and privileges of the marital contract.

An analogy I have for this is "colored only" drinking fountains, bathrooms, and restaurants which were prevalent in certain parts of the Unites States last century.

In my mind, if someone supports homosexuals to have the right to marry, then becoming married themselves is a silent acceptance of the discrimination of gays.

I am nowhere near marriage (I think I would need a girlfriend first, working on that one though) however I am pondering the idea of not becoming married until anyone can become married to their partner in my country. My hometown county beginning issuing marriage licenses to same sex couples last year until my state passed a law against same sex marriages.

So until legitimized discrimination ends, I will sit at the lunch counter, non-violently protesting, even if I am spit on, screamed to leave, or have sugar or some other condiment poured on me.

Peace.

--------------------

Correlation is not causation!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleadrug

Re: Marriage (Same Sex and Opposite Sex) [Re: Signo]
    #4394666 - 07/12/05 03:09 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Marriage is an outdated religious institution anyway.

Offlinedaimyo
Monticello

#4394682 - 07/12/05 03:15 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Why does race always come into the gay debate? It's seems as if some people think gays and coloreds are one and the same.

Gays should not be allowed to marry because marriage is a sacred institution of the church. That being said, there should be no special tax breaks or other privileges for any couple that decides to give up their individuality. A man and a woman, that want to, should get "married". Same sex couples can have a "union". No benefits to either.

--------------------
"I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."

OfflineSigno
manamana
 User Gallery

Loc: Purple Haze
Re: Marriage (Same Sex and Opposite Sex) [Re: daimyo]
    #4394726 - 07/12/05 03:29 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Race is mentioned because racial discrimination exists. Homosexuals are also persecuted and discriminated. Therefore they in fact DO have something in common.

--------------------

Correlation is not causation!

OfflineSpencyspence28
Texan CubeFarmer
Loc: Tx.
    #4394837 - 07/12/05 03:57 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Fuck same sex marrige. Your *edited by Seuss*. Im fucking pro creation. :2cents:

Admin: Flames, even generic ones that target everybody, will not be tolerated in this forum. This is your one and only warning. If I see this again, and you will be banned.

Edited by Seuss (07/12/05 06:54 AM)

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Re: Marriage (Same Sex and Opposite Sex) [Re: adrug]
    #4394938 - 07/12/05 05:09 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

adrug said:

Religion is an outdated institution.

marriage is a religious institution, not a government institution.

We need to get government out of marriage entirely.

--------------------

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #4395029 - 07/12/05 06:52 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

> Why does race always come into the gay debate?

Because they are both victims of discrimination...

> Gays should not be allowed to marry because marriage is a sacred institution of the church.

By your logic, if a church supports gay marrige, then the gays at that church should be married. I have no problem with this.

By your logic, athiests should not be allowed to marry. Interesting.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Invisibleniteowl
GrandPaw
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #4395289 - 07/12/05 11:02 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

daimyo said:
Why does race always come into the gay debate? It's seems as if some people think gays and coloreds are one and the same.

It's a reference to the discrimination, that both groups of people have to endure.

Quote:

Gays should not be allowed to marry because marriage is a sacred institution of the church. That being said, there should be no special tax breaks or other privileges for any couple that decides to give up their individuality. A man and a woman, that want to, should get "married". Same sex couples can have a "union". No benefits to either.

Interracial marriages were once illegal. We (as a society) were able to see that this was a basic right that people had, the right to pick who they wanted to be coupled with.

This "gay marriage" issue is almost exactly the same thing. People want the right to pick and choose who they are coupled with

To say that couples, should have NO legal rights, is foolish and ignorant.

What about the privileges given to a spouse, like visitation rights when one is sick, or property rights if one of them dies?

It isn't about tax breaks.
Its about basic human rights.

--------------------
Live for the moment you are in now
Don't be bogged down by your past
Don't be afraid of what lies in your future

OfflineProsgeopax
Jaded, yethopeful?

Loc: Appearing at a mall near ...
    #4395306 - 07/12/05 11:12 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Signo said:
Civil unions don't give anywhere near the rights and privileges of the marital contract.

That is a conditional statement, depending upon the jurisdiction. Since most jurisdictions do not even recognize civil unions, there is no way to logically assert the validity of your statement.

I firmly believe that gay people, if they so choose, should be allowed to suffer at the hands of a spouse just like straight people. However, marriage, by definition established throughout human history and in (all?) human cultures, is a union between men and women, it is something which has arisen organically in human societies. The state has absolutely no business in defining what marriage is or in requiring licenses for marriage.

--------------------
Money doesn't grow on trees, but deficits do grow under Bushes.

You can accept, reject, or examine and test any new idea that comes to you. The wise man chooses the third way.
- Tom Willhite

Disclaimer: I reserve the right to change my opinions should I become aware of additional facts, the falsification of information or different perspectives. Articles written by others which I post may not necessarily reflect my opinions in part or in whole, my opinions may be in direct opposition, the topic may be one on which I have yet to formulate an opinion or have doubts about, an article may be posted solely with the intent to stimulate discussion or contemplation.

Invisiblemyndreach
philosopher
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Marriage (Same Sex and Opposite Sex) [Re: Prosgeopax]
    #4395317 - 07/12/05 11:22 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

yeah if you believe in the consititution of the us, you can't be against gay marriage

it is a religious institution...the concept of marriage as we know it comes from the Old Testament of the Christian/Jewish texts.

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: Marriage (Same Sex and Opposite Sex) [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #4396673 - 07/12/05 06:49 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Baby_Hitler said:
Quote:

adrug said:

Religion is an outdated institution.

marriage is a religious institution, not a government institution.

We need to get government out of marriage entirely.

You're close but not quite there. Marriage is a civil contract regardless of religion. You can be married by the Mayor or any Justice of the Peace, or a great many other nonreligious people. But the government will always be involved because it is always involved in contract dispute resolution. That is what civil court exists for and that is where marriage disputes belong. And if I want to marry my dog because of health care benefits given to a spouse by the company I work for, well then, by golly, I should be allowed to marry my dog, er I mean bitch, I aint no homo after all. You know what I'm sayin'? But only one dog, er, bitch, 'cause that's only fair. Lessens they also got benefits fer children too. Oh Lordy I aint gonna have to commit a unnatural act to take full advantage of my benefits and tax priveleges, am I? They gonna be some ugly ass babies what with her being a Basset and all.

--------------------

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
    #4397294 - 07/12/05 09:18 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

You should be able to enter into a civil contract with as many people as you wish, as long as they can legally enter into contracts.

No children, animals, or innanimate objects.

Also, no business entities. You should not be able to marry a corporation.

--------------------

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
    #4398087 - 07/13/05 01:08 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Gays should not be allowed to marry because marriage is a sacred institution of the church.

Which church?

Nobody is proposing that churches should be forced to marry gays, it's about a government designation.

Why would anyone care if they call it marriage, or a union? Telling them what they're allowed to call their relationship is just being a dick. It's not your marriage.

If you're against gay marriage, don't get gay married.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Re: Marriage (Same Sex and Opposite Sex) [Re: Phluck]
    #4398102 - 07/13/05 01:11 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Another retarded argument against gay marriage: "They can't have kids."

No shit. There are straight people who can't have kids either. Should victims of testicular cancer not be allowed to marry? Or a woman born with a malformed uterus?

It's not like there's a shortage of people anyways. What, we legalize gay marriage and there will never be another generation of humans?

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion