Home | Community | Message Board

The Spore Depot
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Syrian Rue, Terrence McKenna

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineAborea
Time master

Loc: Vancouver, B.C.
Entheogens and ancient Buddhist traditions
    #4394273 - 07/12/05 01:28 AM (12 years, 11 days ago)

I have found that entheogens are used as tools in realization. This realization will just happen after the influence of inebriates. Such as Syrian rue mixed in tobacco?-?
smoking rituals (northeast Tibet), Amanita muscaria (in Buddhist legend) and cannabis (Tibetan monks - temple hash smoking). These are monks who take vows too not do drugs.

Henbane is also associated with Tibetan shamanism. Because the first Buddha is depicted as with a bowl of Soma (cannabis). So cannabis is a holy plant in Buddhism.

What do you think of people doing entheogens?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineCandyLand
Stranger
Re: Entheogens and ancient Buddhist traditions [Re: Aborea]
    #4394844 - 07/12/05 04:00 AM (12 years, 11 days ago)

I recall an amrita initiation in buddism (forgot which branch, heck it might have even been hinduism), where in the principles of clarity and confusion are separated and combined...sounds very amanita(ish) to me.

Edited by CandyLand (07/12/05 04:01 AM)

Offlinebmarley3434
wildwalker
Male User Gallery

Loc: nj
Re: Entheogens and ancient Buddhist traditions [Re: CandyLand]
    #4395242 - 07/12/05 10:36 AM (12 years, 11 days ago)

bon shamanism is the culture which is considered the birth of buddhism. they burn juniperus ricorva as an inhalant.

--------------------
www.returntonature.us - wild foods blog

OM

Offlineeve69
--=..Did Adam and ...?=--
Male User Gallery

Loc: isle de la muerte Flag
Re: Entheogens and ancient Buddhist traditions [Re: bmarley3434]
    #4412589 - 07/16/05 08:46 PM (12 years, 6 days ago)

Soma isn't cannabis, but either amanitas or Sarcostemia brevifolia, an extinct relative of Ephedra. But more likely it was a combination of a few plants.

Buddhist/Tantrics in Nepal may use marijuana, but it's less likely than likely. I have a Chodpa guru/Friend who has wandered all over India playing Chod and he has never smoked weed, ever. There are a few very odd Buddhist rituals related to Mahakali which are purported to perhaps utilize Datura merely to show the mind as being the source of maya.

--------------------
...or something

OfflineGNIOM1498
Death Cup
 User Gallery

Loc: My home is where my spiri...
Re: Entheogens and ancient Buddhist traditions [Re: eve69]
    #4414010 - 07/17/05 04:57 AM (12 years, 6 days ago)

I'm pretty sure it wasn't Buddhism that used Soma it was an early Vedic tradition, the Brahman priest which was the only one to go around and collect the Soma went at night only at night. This would be an earlier form of Hinduism which would be totally different from Buddhism even though they share similarities entheogens I don't think is one.

I really personally doubt Soma was an Amanita I think that the thoughts created by this Hallucinogen would be able to be accomplished by Amanita and I think there is reported deaths if u didn't take it correctly which would also align up with Amanita. The chance of a mushrooms of being Soma is a good possibility but I believe it would be some sort of a plant where the Brahmans would know where to get. Plus Amanita is not a very good Hallucinogenic. Datura sounds like a better candidate to me.

Think of how hard it would to be to find Mushrooms at night with a torch. I have a hard time with a flashlight.

--------------------

----ALL MY POSTS ARE FICTIONAL-------

Edited by GNIOM1498 (07/17/05 04:59 AM)

OfflineVertigo6911
Entheobotanist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Netherlands
Re: Entheogens and ancient Buddhist traditions [Re: GNIOM1498]
    #4414703 - 07/17/05 02:15 PM (12 years, 6 days ago)

http://www.pharmacratic-inquisition.com/nontesters/pharmacratic/

these guys are into researching soma and amanita and stuff like that.
theres a forum too...

--------------------
-Know ye not that ye are gods?-
My homepage

OfflinePsiloman
Male
Loc: Europe
Re: Entheogens and ancient Buddhist traditions [Re: Vertigo6911]
    #4415023 - 07/17/05 04:03 PM (12 years, 6 days ago)

Quote:

http://www.pharmacratic-inquisition.com/nontesters/pharmacratic/

Be carefull of that link though!I have watched that video,discussed it with people who have studied theology,history and arts and ....well...we werent pleased with it. It has some pretty wild innacuracies,and somehow it left me with a taste in the mouth that those guys try TOO HARD to prove what they say and reinforce in their viewers that are correct.As much as i love psychedelics,as much as im fascinated by them i cant help but notice that those guys in the video may actually see things and connections where...they dont really exist! The propably forgot the Ancient Greek saying "Mind Hears and Mind Sees"...

Take what they say with a pinch of salt,sometimes they make Terrence McKenna sound like a very down to earth folk!

Thats of course my personall opinion,feel free to disagree.

Aborea said :

Quote:

I have found that entheogens are used as tools in realization. This realization will just happen after the influence of inebriates.

The way you state it sounds like it is a scientifically proven ,universally recognised effect.As a challenge : Search the "Spirituality and Philosophy" discussion with keyords "Psychedelics" coupled with "realisation" ,"enlightment" , "spiritual growth" and read couple of the threads you will find.

Where im getting at :

If this realisation "Just happens after the influence of inebriants" then every techno club,every rave ,every university campus should be full of Buddhas,Enlightened Ones,"Neos" (yup from matrix), philosophers,sages and "Awakened ones". Ummm...Sometimes i think the crowd in those places try to convince onlookers of exactly the opposite thing by their behaviour!

Psychedelics are NOT antibiotics where you just take them no matter where you are with who you are,who you are,what goes in your mind and they "just work". Taking them is not enough! The "realisation" is not an innate quality they have,as delusion is not an nnate quality they posses but certainly some people got deluded or "messianic" after some doses of strong psychedelics.The "realisation" is a product of a regiment,sometimes involving psychedelics. What for example is YOUR regiment Aborea?

Do you "work out mentally" between "trips"?
Do you use their "wowish" feeling and push they give to break patterns in everyday behaviour and notice how you interact with others and how others react to your new behaviour?

If only it was that simple....Then we could just kidnap the G8 ,keep them in dark rooms forcing them to take psychedelics and everything would be ok! Upon their release they would be "Realised Human Beings".

If only....

InvisibleHELLA_TIGHT
Madge the Smoking Vag
Female User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Afghanistan Flag
Re: Entheogens and ancient Buddhist traditions [Re: GNIOM1498]
    #4415304 - 07/17/05 05:19 PM (12 years, 6 days ago)

The Aryans and Hindu's used soma.

--------------------

OfflineBodhibiscuit
Mr Taniwha
Male User Gallery

Loc: Sydney
Re: Entheogens and ancient Buddhist traditions [Re: HELLA_TIGHT]
    #4417998 - 07/18/05 06:42 AM (12 years, 5 days ago)

Btw, Bon shamanism is not the 'culture which is considered the birth of Buddhism'. Buddhists of any school acknowledge that Buddhism originated with the teachings of a prince called Siddharta Gautama aka the Buddha Shakyamuni, whose father ruled a kingdom in the foothills of the Himalayas some 2500 years ago.

Bon was the indigenous religion of Tibet, and features of it were incorporated into the Tantric school of Buddhism that was introduced into Tibet around the 7th century AD. The result of this fertile cross-pollination was Tibetan Buddhism.

--------------------
Everyone longs to leave the eternal flux,
not just to live in harmony, but to return and sit by the charcoal fire.
-from the Fifth Rank, Tung-Shan (806-869)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Syrian Rue, Terrence McKenna

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden