Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Capsules   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinefarmer_maggot
Plastic vs glass bottles for storage
    #439319 - 10/28/01 01:32 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

There was a post or tek that discussed using freon or other inert gas to displace the oxygen in a storage container in order to prolong storage of capsules.

The writer made a point of saying that plastic bags do not prevent air exchange and therefore he recommended an air tight bottle instead. I would expect that a dark bottle would be better as well, in order to reduce light.

So, dark bottle, sounds like a vitamin bottle. However, I noticed that most vitamin bottles these days are actually a hardened plastic, not glass. So my question is whether the hard plastic vitamin bottles are adequate for this inert gas approach or is glass better?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinemarx2k
journeyman

Loc: Midwest
Re: Plastic vs glass bottles for storage [Re: farmer_maggot]
    #439346 - 10/28/01 02:02 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

I have one of these "Pump & Seal" food savers. Works over and over for glass and plastic jars.

Check it out (This isnt my sale and Im not suggesting you need one. I have one and it works, thats the only reason I show you think EBay link)

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1288719958

--------------------
Alright alright

Invisiblerazer
enthusiast
Re: Plastic vs glass bottles for storage [Re: marx2k]
    #439347 - 10/28/01 02:04 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

Dont use freon, use CO2. Mix some vinegar and baking soda, then "pour" off the CO2 into the bottle

--------------------
All events stated by myself are only fictionous stories, any relations to true events are intirely coincidental.

OfflineCub
Loc: Northern VA
    #439402 - 10/28/01 03:09 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

I've read that you can also get a little dry ice (not too difficult- look in the phone book for chemical suppliers, if they don't have it they'll know who does), put it in the bottom of the jar next to the mushrooms. Since it's heavier than air it will displace all the oxygen. When the dry ice is completely evaporated, then screw the lid shut. Voila, much less oxidation (correct term?) and the mushies should last a long time. To answer you're question, I'd go with glass just to be safe, I'm not sure all those pill bottles will keep out oxygen effectively.

Offlinefarmer_maggot
Re: Plastic vs glass bottles for storage [Re: razer]
    #439412 - 10/28/01 03:20 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

My friend was thinking of using "Dust Off" compressed gas product (as per recommendation on this forum). Easy to find at Costco or photo stores. I suspect it is not freon per se, but some form of inert gas. Here are specs. What is your objection?

http://www.falconsafety.com/dustoff/msds/dpsxl.html

SECTION I - CHEMICAL INFORMATION

Trade Name: "Dymel" 152a

Chemical Name: Difluoroethane, R152a

OfflineCub
Loc: Northern VA
    #439417 - 10/28/01 03:26 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

I used to use that stuff in photography- If I remember correctly it evaporates super fast, probably would be near impossible to use in hard containers. It would work if it's heavier than air, like CO2 is.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Capsules   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules