Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Air Pump, Hygrometer, Perlite, Ultrasonic Humidifier, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineKainMagus
Stranger
Perlite, water? too much?
    #4393943 - 07/11/05 11:14 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

When making your birthing chamber, how wet should the perlite be? Would too much water in the perlite be a problem for birthing?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleFooManM
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Earth Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Perlite, water? too much? [Re: KainMagus]
    #4393955 - 07/11/05 11:17 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I just put enough water so that it is 1/2" or more below the top of the perlite. You don't want the perlite completely saturated because the water needs to be able to wick off of the top of the perlite layer in order to create moisture in the air.

--------------------

OfflineHippieChick
Chicks can do it too!
Female User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
Trusted Cultivator
    #4393956 - 07/11/05 11:18 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Perlite works by wicking the water up. Too much and it will float and not function properly. I used 2" of perlite then filled with water till the water was 1/2" - 3/4" from the top of the perlite.
Won't really effect birthing, but might effect pinning and fruiting.

Peace,love,Happiness and Harmony.
:heart: Hippie Chick  :mushroom2:

--------------------
Peace,Love and Happiness
:heart: HC :mushroom2:

Freedoms just another word for nothing left to lose..............

I LUV My Greenhouse
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/5545848#5545848

My First Pans
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/6212058#6212058

InvisibleFooManM
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Perlite, water? too much? [Re: HippieChick]
    #4393980 - 07/11/05 11:26 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

HippieChick said:
Perlite works by wicking the water up. Too much and it will float and not function properly. I used 2" of perlite then filled with water till the water was 1/2" - 3/4" from the top of the perlite.
Won't really effect birthing, but might effect pinning and fruiting.

Peace,love,Happiness and Harmony.
:heart: Hippie Chick  :mushroom2:

I guess we are on the same page :thumbup:

--------------------

OfflineKainMagus
Stranger
Re: Perlite, water? too much? [Re: FooMan]
    #4393999 - 07/11/05 11:31 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

ok i put too much water in and got some floatage, and im in the middle of a dunk. Should i try drying up the water in the perlite just a bit before i put the cakes in or will i be ok as long as i make sure the moisture in the air is high?

Invisiblebackupwards2
Stranger thanyou

Loc: in my mind
    #4394008 - 07/11/05 11:35 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

i have only ever soaked the perlite and then drained it off. then put it in the bottom of your fruiting chamber. this along with some regular misting will give you plenty of humidity.
standing water is not a good thing in your fruiting chamber as it can allow for some contams to get a foothold or you will get all kinds of algae growth.
soak and then drain will give you all the humidity you will need.
peace

--------------------
If you are not sure what you are doing STOP and go read some on what you are trying to do.

InvisibleFooManM
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #4394016 - 07/11/05 11:37 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

KainMagus said:
ok i put too much water in and got some floatage, and im in the middle of a dunk.  Should i try drying up the water in the perlite just a bit before i put the cakes in  or will i be ok as long as i make sure the moisture in the air is high?

Do you mean pour some water out? Yes. You want the water about a 1/2" or so below the top of the perlite. This is how the perlite will KEEP moisture high in the fruiting chamber. The top (dry) layer pulls the water up from the wet perlite below it and releases little water droplets into the air. If your perlite is saturated, the top layer can't pull the water from the bottom. I don't know if this is the best explanation for it, but this is the best way I know how to. :confused:

--------------------

InvisibleFooManM
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Perlite, water? too much? [Re: backupwards2]
    #4394026 - 07/11/05 11:40 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

backupwards2 said:
i have only ever soaked the perlite and then drained it off. then put it in the bottom of your fruiting chamber. this along with some regular misting will give you plenty of humidity.
standing water is not a good thing in your fruiting chamber as it can allow for some contams to get a foothold or you will get all kinds of algae growth.
soak and then drain will give you all the humidity you will need.
peace

That is another route to go. If you put some H2O2 in the water, you can keep things fresh.

--------------------

Offline83mustangdrew
Stranger

#8030053 - 02/16/08 05:03 AM (8 years, 9 months ago)

hello, i am doing a casing with a layer of perlite and water, colonized grain on top, and vermiculite casing layer on top. i am using a tropic aire humidifier running 24/7. it is doing my FAE and my humidification. i know i put too much water in my perlite layer because i had floatage and some grain sinkage(will explain) but i couldnt stop cuz i got too far in the process before i noticed that my grain was starting to sink down into the water/perlite layer. i put a lot of colonized grain in there (used 7x1L jars half full of colonized grain but it still sunk in about a half inch so about half of the grain is sitting down in the perlite/water layer,sitting in the water a little bit. i put the vermiculite layer on and it sunk in more, theres still standing water on the bottom it just looks like the perlite and grain has mixed a little, will it still work out and colonize? i will have no problem with humidfication because i have the tropic aire but i just am worried about casing colonization problems and any other problems that may follow this.
also do i have to lower humididity for pinning and fruiting? my tropic aire is doing my humidity and air exchange so i shouldnt really turn it down or off(timer) because then id be turning off my FAE and thats required.i have no hygrometer because every one i get is a pos (digital or analog) and i donthave the $ to buy a pro one so i am eyeing it and im good at that. what would you suggest for me to do about humidity?and if anything about the perlite/water problem?, there are visible droplets on the walls of the 54 qt container, im using an air pump big enough for a 45 gallon tank with a flow adjustment at full running 24/7 through the tropic aire and it keeps humidity at 95-99% with the perlite layer( i had a rh%guage before). i am asking the people in this thread because you guys sound like you know what you are talking about

83stangdrew

Offline83mustangdrew
Stranger

#8030057 - 02/16/08 05:06 AM (8 years, 9 months ago)

i use a 20:1 spring water peroxide mix in my perlite layer in bottom too, just though id clarify that. its supposed to be a 1/2 inch layer of perlite with 1/4 inch of standing water underneath which is my method but it just added too much liquid this time and i dont know what to do and im not sure what to do about humidity for pinning and fruiting either i am a newbie mycologist, have had only 2 runs so far and i didnt have the greatest yeilds

Edited by 83mustangdrew (02/16/08 05:10 AM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Air Pump, Hygrometer, Perlite, Ultrasonic Humidifier, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation