Home | Community | Message Board

SoulSpeciosa Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Science and Technology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Salvia

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleLunarEclipse
Mr. Dogma Free
 User Gallery

Loc: The Hand
Attack Deer
    #4393444 - 07/11/05 08:25 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I was just attacked by a herd of three deer trying to steal tomatoes and lettuce out of my garden in broad daylight (as in 5 P.M. PDT).  Luckily, I was able to scare them away, FOR NOW!  I just worry about my "children" Romaine and Roma later tonight. 

What shall I do?

Edit:  I found these tips online.  I wonder if my neighbors will understand when they see me peeing around the perimeter of my property.  "Just trying to keep the deer out."  Uh huh...:rolleyes: 

How can I keep deer out of my garden?
A compilation of suggestions from our readers:

I've had pretty good luck using bird netting. It's been especially good if I stretch it over a pvc pipe framework (which I spray painted green to be less obvious). I use it over some raised bed planters. I've watched the deer react to it from inside my house.
They apparently don't see as well as they hear and smell. They poke their nose into the netting and it startles them and they shy away. Anything protruding through the netting, of course gets trimmed off. It's fairly inexpensive but sort of a nuisance when you want to work in the bed, since you have to roll it back out of the way. It also keeps out the wild turkeys. But the gophers still come in from below. I lost an entire bed of asparagus to gophers after keeping the deer out all season with the netting.

I've battled deer forever and these are my tried and true working solutions to the problem....My favorite is grating Ivory soap or Irish Spring all around the items you need to protect. It's good to do this before the deer establish their trails in the very early spring. I also buy small drawstring bags made of a loosely woven material (from a local garden supply store) and fill them with Milorganite (its a fertilizer with an odor that repels deer). I hang these on the bushes and shrubs the deer love to munch!

The scent of humans is repulsive to wild animals, or scary as natural enemies, and marking your territory with your scent is a natural deterent. It may be a bit unorthodox to have your husband use the garden as a toilet,
but you can accomplish the same thing by soaking rags in a bucket, and then ringing your garden with the rags (using plastic gloves of course) and bury them at the outside rim of your garden with some mulch.

Here's something that works great, is cheap and environmentaly safe - Mix one slightly beaten egg with 1 quart of water and spray onto anything that the deer eat. You have to re-apply this about every 4-5 days or after a rain but it really works! We've tried many things - and we have a dog but the eggs work the best.

Here's what worked for me: coyote urine. They have all different types of urine drops at Agway (and probably similar stores-find out what the local carnivore is and give it a try. I also sprinkled my stuff with a ton of black and red pepper, garlic and curry powder-nothing went near my tomatoes! Spray with a little water first so it sticks to the leaves and such. You do have to redo it though-every time it rains.

I've been trying everything. Here's just a few: 1) Human hair clippings from your local beauty shop sprinkled around the plants. 2) blood meal. 3) Moth ball flakes sprinkled all around. These seem to work but eventually I let any of the treatments lapse and the deer feast.

. One year we had a deer problem and after the first feasting in early spring wiping out everything, we lined each bed with chives. It seemed to work and we had flowers the rest of the year, but you have to stay on top of the chives or they can take over the garden.... but when you weed the garden you can just weed out some of the chives as well. (chives bloom adding a nice variation...)

Here's my list of plants that deer won't eat: for annuals use:ageratum,snapdragon,salvia,nicotiana,petunia,
alyssum,marigold,begonia. Do NOT use impatiens,geraniums,pansies.

For perennials, I have excellent luck with these:columbine,coreopsis,foxglove,aconitum,lavender,
salvia,nepeta,daffodils,hyacinth,rudbeckia,beebalm,babysbreath.Do not use hosta,daylily,any type of mum or shasta daisy,obedient plant,echinacea.

*Note* Any native plants are high risk too, except for the poisonous plants. Deer proof trees and bushes are hard to come by because the ones they don't eat can still be damaged severely by a buck. For evergreens try Spruce,hemlock,Pieris,Leucothoe,and boxwood. Do not use Yew,Arborvitae,pine,rhododendron,and azalea. There are more deer proof plants out there. Actually alot more than people think. I just can't think of them all at this time. Also, plan on using a deer repellant. I use an excellent one called Deer-off. It is completely organic and is comprised of eggs,pepper,and garlic. It is sprayed on the plants and lasts up to 3 months depending on rain and growth rate of the plants. Keep this in mind when it comes to deer: Any plant in the herb family is usually disliked. Any plant that is native is usually eaten with gusto! Any fruiting plant like an apple tree, cherry, or berry bush will be devoured. Hope this will get you started. I deal with deer on a daily basis so I am speaking from experience.

I have excellent luck with; Dragons-eye pine, any ornamental grasses, butterfly bush,
caryoptoris, anything with really fuzzy leaves, any mints, asiatic lilies, barberry,
artimesia, gold thread juniper, trumpet vine, scotch broom, St. Johnswort and contorted hazel.

Try Deeroff: Rutgers University ranked deeroff number 1 out of 35 repellents tested. Now labeled for rabbits and squirrels.

--------------------
Anxiety is what you make it.

Edited by LunarEclipse (07/11/05 11:19 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleRESTLESS
C.M.L.W.

Re: Attack Deer [Re: LunarEclipse]
    #4393449 - 07/11/05 08:28 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Spray the perimeter of your yard with bear scare or pepper spray. You can even brew your own pepper spray to use.

http://www.rotteneggs.com/se/2686832.html

--------------------

InvisibleVeritas
 User Gallery
    #4393458 - 07/11/05 08:33 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Deer are extremely persistent, so whatever measures you take must stand up to their continued efforts.

I have read that it helps to "mark" your territory with urine and hair clippings around the perimeter of the garden.  A 6' deer fence is a deterrent, but a big project to undertake before sunset tonight!

Some friends used to plant extra for the deer & critters...maybe next year?  They swore by siting the "deer garden" some distance from the house & the "people garden" very close to the house, so the human smells would be more noticeable.

We have very bold deer in my town, and I understand that it takes a tall, sturdy fence to withstand their assaults.

Good luck, and may your children live to be salad tomorrow!  :grin:

InvisibleLunarEclipse
Mr. Dogma Free
 User Gallery

Re: Attack Deer [Re: RESTLESS]
    #4393460 - 07/11/05 08:34 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Bear Scare or Pepper Spray

No, I said Deer, not bears or muggers... :frown:

--------------------

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #4393461 - 07/11/05 08:34 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

If you have watched Big Time Wrestling on TV you should have some great moves to put on them.

If not, fire crackers from the 4th.  A pellet gun or paint ball gun.  I could lend you my dog.

Go out there in your Bear (bare) suit and scare the shit out of them.

Go to your local zoo and beg some lion shit to scatter around.

Blast the fuck out of em with your tube amp.

Be creative and have fun.  :moose: :rudolph: :dog: :ass: :rockets: :drumming: :mrt: :rofl:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

InvisibleLunarEclipse
Mr. Dogma Free
 User Gallery

Re: Attack Deer [Re: Icelander]
    #4393468 - 07/11/05 08:36 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

"Lion shit"

Would shit from a domestic cat qualify, or are the deer up on that trick?

--------------------

InvisibleIcelander
Male

#4393478 - 07/11/05 08:39 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Pussy shit. :poop: Give me a break. :grin: You need lion shit.  :glittershitz:
I have used it and it works. :thumbup:

--------------------

InvisibleLunarEclipse
Mr. Dogma Free
 User Gallery

Re: Attack Deer [Re: Veritas]
    #4393480 - 07/11/05 08:39 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

"Withstand their assaults"

There are three of them. After watching the video "When Animals Attack" and the guy getting spanked by the deer it made me a little uneasy chasing them off.

--------------------

InvisibleRESTLESS
C.M.L.W.

#4393482 - 07/11/05 08:40 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Pepper Spray on the ground would deter them from entering your yard, I din't mean actually spray them with it, but that's up to you. Either method would work fine  :rudolph:

--------------------

InvisibleLunarEclipse
Mr. Dogma Free
 User Gallery

#4393486 - 07/11/05 08:41 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Well aren't lions big pussies, kinda?  :tongue:

OK, I wonder what the zookeeper will say.  Is this going to be a routine request, or will I face scorn?

--------------------

InvisibleIcelander
Male

#4393488 - 07/11/05 08:42 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

You should be wary. A deer can easily disembowel a man with one hoof strike to the abdomin.  Carefull there buddy. :mushroom2:

--------------------

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
    #4393489 - 07/11/05 08:42 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Well if these deer are that bold I have the solution. Shoot them, skin them, and eat them. Venison is a healthy lean meat that tastes good. I would not hesitate if one of them was so bold as to attack me.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

InvisibleLunarEclipse
Mr. Dogma Free
 User Gallery

#4393495 - 07/11/05 08:43 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I did spread some pepper spray around to try to deter the gophers which are also pretty destructive to folaige.  It didn't seem to work too well.

Nice antlers!  :thumbup:

--------------------

InvisibleLunarEclipse
Mr. Dogma Free
 User Gallery

#4393504 - 07/11/05 08:46 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

"A deer can easily disembowel a man with one hoof strike to the abdomen."

OK now it's really on. Can I "protect" myself out of season if it's in my yard (not on a farm)?

--------------------

InvisibleRESTLESS
C.M.L.W.

#4393507 - 07/11/05 08:47 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Gophers are underground diggers though.

--------------------

InvisibleIcelander
Male

#4393511 - 07/11/05 08:48 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Zoo keeper are used to this request.  They may make you go into the lion cage and get it yourself just for laughs though. :grin:

--------------------

InvisibleLunarEclipse
Mr. Dogma Free
 User Gallery

#4393523 - 07/11/05 08:53 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Yes, but they sell chili pepper to spread around the perimeter of your property to keep away gophers. Cost me $ 12. I think gophers use it for seasoning...

--------------------

InvisibleLunarEclipse
Mr. Dogma Free
 User Gallery

#4393526 - 07/11/05 08:54 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I will wear my running shoes.  :grin:

--------------------

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
    #4393533 - 07/11/05 08:56 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

If it is doing damage on your land there is no season required.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

InvisibleLunarEclipse
Mr. Dogma Free
 User Gallery

Re: Attack Deer [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #4393535 - 07/11/05 08:56 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

They are bold for sure but I wouldn't want to get disemboweled. Perhaps I shall shoot one of them with a bow and arrow from the safety of my second story deck...nice safe and quiet kill, no gun to alarm the neighbors or chance of getting "hoofed".

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop for: Salvia

General Interest >> Science and Technology