Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds USA West Coast Strains   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Peak Oil - two years later
    #4392045 - 07/11/05 10:40 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Well I'd say the cat is finally out of the bag on this one! Even the major oil companies are starting to admit we have a bumpy ride ahead of us!

Just look at Chevron's front-page:

http://www.chevron.com/

"It took 125 years to use the first trillion barrels of oil.

We'll use the next trillion in 30."

I have a hunch that this crisis, Peak Oil, will be the defining concept for my generation (and the one after me, basically if you are under 30 right now...you WILL have to deal with Peak Oil throughout your adult life). Just as our parent's generation had the 60's and their revolution of thought...we will have a worldwide energy crisis to deal with.

Remember - major oil-producers do not start talking about depleting oil reserves until the reserves are already in depletion. I can't say exactly when the "crunch" will come, or if there will even be a "crunch" (by "crunch" I mean a drastic economic crisis due to severely restricted energy supplies) but I do know that we will all have to start tightening our belts in the coming years.

Break out that bycicle, and get in shape! :thumbup:

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblednL
stranger thanstrange

Re: Peak Oil [Re: trendal]
    #4392058 - 07/11/05 10:46 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

i wouldn't say we're going to have a "worldwide energy crisis"

i'm hoping by that time, most of our cars will be run via electricity

the future lies within wind power ...

there's this new wind-farm being proposed in my state

"The $250 million wind farm, called Forward Wind Energy Center, could meet the electrical needs of 72,000 homes, according to the state Public Service Commission."

so that's a start, right?

--------------------

Invisibledblaney
Human Being

Loc: Here & Now
    #4392077 - 07/11/05 10:54 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah, I've read about this too. It's a VERY serious problem, and it seems that most of the elected government figures in America are doing nothing about it, at least within the public eye (not a good move IMO). There needs to be a lot more research and development underway to deal with the impending emergency.

Oil defines our lives: we use it chiefly for transportation, which is a huge industry. With no oil, [most modern] cars and airplanes won't work. That will leave trains and boats, and gasoline cannot easily be imported. The railroad industry will probably boom again. However, global trade will be seriously fucked up and who knows what will happen to the stock markets around the world.

Suffice to say it worrys me, lol.

--------------------
"What is in us that turns a deaf ear to the cries of human suffering?"

"Belief is a beautiful armor
But makes for the heaviest sword"
- John Mayer

Making the noise "penicillin" is no substitute for actually taking penicillin.

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it." -Abraham Lincoln

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
    #4392083 - 07/11/05 10:55 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

priuses for everyone!

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

OfflineRandolph_Carter
НơĻ?ĢΉō

Loc: Shroomery B-list.
Re: Peak Oil [Re: dnL]
    #4392085 - 07/11/05 10:56 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

See, cars are easy.
But the world right now is based around flight, and the ability of flight to transport mass quantities of people and supplies places.
I haven't seen any fuel source capable of powering an airplane spoken of.

That's where any real oil crisis will really hurt.

--------------------
"..all those molecules thrashing their kinky little tails, hot for destiny and the street."  Gibson

Nuke baby seals for Jesus!

(This has been a +1 production.)

OfflineMadtowntripper
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
Re: Peak Oil [Re: dblaney]
    #4392088 - 07/11/05 10:59 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Just finished this book, Go grab it at your local library.

"Power to the People : How the Coming Energy Revolution Will Transform an Industry, Change Our Lives, and Maybe Even Save the Planet" by Vijay V. Vaitheeswara

Excellent book on exactly this topic.

And, dnL, I assume your talking about the WE windfarm, since we're both from WI, right? Well, the thing with that is, its built RIGHT next to Horicon Marsh Bird Sanctuary. I'm a HUGE HUGE HUGE fan of renewable energy, and wind farms in particular, but thats the worst possible place they could build that thing. Experience on the East and West coasts show that when wind farm turbines are placed in bird migration paths, the results are literally tens of thousands of bird deaths.

Put the fucking thing in Whitefolks Bay, or some place like that....

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Re: Peak Oil [Re: Randolph_Carter]
    #4392089 - 07/11/05 10:59 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah the airlines are pretty much done with as soon as production starts to really slip.

Imagine having to go back to boats for atlantic crossings!

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.

Offlinelowdominion
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: new england
Re: Peak Oil [Re: dblaney]
    #4392095 - 07/11/05 11:02 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

wind, hydro-electric, geothermal, and solar energies are all good options but unfortunately they cannot provide the inexspensive form of energy that oil could. The world must rethink the way it uses energy in the mean time gas prices will continue to rise and because of that ALL prices will rise so sit back and enjoy the ride and don't forget to laugh at people cringing as they fill their SUV's at over a 100 dollars a pop

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

#4392096 - 07/11/05 11:02 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Here's some more text from the Chevron site (reading this actually gives me chills...I didn't think they would be this blatant about it until well AFTER the crisis had started!):

Now more than ever we need to work together.
Energy will be one of the defining issues of this century, and one thing is clear: the era of easy oil is over. What we all do next will determine how well we meet the energy needs of the entire world in this century and beyond.

The trends are in motion.
Energy demand is soaring as never before and driving economic growth. And improved standards of living are requiring increasing amounts of energy. In fact, some say that in 20 years the world will consume 40% more oil than it does today.

The facts are compelling.
Many of the world?s oil and gas fields are maturing. And new energy discoveries are mainly occurring in places where resources are difficult to extract?physically, technically, economically, and politically. When growing demand meets tighter supplies, the result is more competition for the same resources.

The only energy we have in abundance: Human energy?.
We can wait until a crisis forces us to do something. Or we can commit to working together, and start by asking the tough questions: How do we meet the energy needs of the developing world and those of industrialized nations? What role will renewables and alternative energies play? What is the best way to protect our environment? How do we accelerate our conservation efforts? Whatever actions we take, we must look not just to next year, but to the next 50 years.

We need your help.
At Chevron, we believe that innovation, collaboration and conservation are the cornerstones on which to build this new world. But we can?t do it alone. Corporations, governments and every citizen of this planet must be part of the solution as surely as they are part of the problem.

And so, we ask you to join us.
There are many factors in the new energy equation, and we encourage you to consider all of them. We call upon scientists and educators, politicians and policymakers, environmentalists, leaders of industry and each one of you to be part of reshaping the next era of energy.

--------------------

OfflineRandolph_Carter
НơĻ?ĢΉō

Loc: Shroomery B-list.
    #4392097 - 07/11/05 11:02 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Seriously, the entire geopolitical climate would shift soo radically without flight.

It's difficult to even imagine. :crazy:

--------------------
"..all those molecules thrashing their kinky little tails, hot for destiny and the street."  Gibson

Nuke baby seals for Jesus!

(This has been a +1 production.)

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
    #4392101 - 07/11/05 11:04 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I see economies becoming more localized in the coming years, as transportation costs become more expensive. It will be much cheaper to buy locally-grown produce and goods than to have it shipped across the country.

--------------------

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Re: Peak Oil [Re: Silversoul]
    #4392114 - 07/11/05 11:11 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah definitely! I think people will have to do a lot of re-location, as well, to get closer to their jobs.

Can't very well hold up a job when you have a hour-long drive to work and it costs nearly your full paycheck just to put enough gas in the car :wink:

--------------------

Invisibletrick

Loc: unknown
Re: Peak Oil [Re: Silversoul]
    #4392116 - 07/11/05 11:11 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Paradigm said:
I see economies becoming more localized in the coming years, as transportation costs become more expensive. It will be much cheaper to buy locally-grown produce and goods than to have it shipped across the country.

I agree with Paradigm to an extent. We should have more development of communities. The elite of our society wish to globalize and capitalize on cheap labor and foreign policy. Hopefully communal development can battle this and people can be more dependent on themselves once again.

Peak Oil is becoming more of an issue in the public mind. I know i do my fair share of spreading information. But now we see large companies and corporations speaking out about the oil crisis.

Exxon Mobil has acknowledged this.

http://www.exxonmobil.com/Corporate/Citizenship/Corp_citizenship_energy_outlook.asp

There are some very interesting statistics on that page. check it out.

Invisiblemoog
Stranger

#4392133 - 07/11/05 11:16 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

It's not that big a deal.

The problem lies in the greed and desperation involved in securing more and more oil as it runs out, instead of researching and implementing alternate fuels.

InvisiblednL
stranger thanstrange

Re: Peak Oil [Re: Madtowntripper]
    #4392208 - 07/11/05 11:45 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Madtowntripper said:

Put the fucking thing in Whitefolks Bay, or some place like that....

hahaha yea, i am just providing an example of the possibilities ... we need to develop renewable energy sources for all our mediums of travel: car, boat, plane, etc ...

i'm sure before the so-called "crisis" occurs, the gov't/scientists/nasa/whoever will have come up with something ... the way technology is advancing i'm personally not that worried

--------------------

OfflineRonoS
DSYSB since '01
Male User Gallery

Loc: Calgary, Alberta
    #4392233 - 07/11/05 11:51 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

The problem isn't just with providing fuel...oil is also used to make plastics. try and imagine your life right now without plastic...starting with your computer...

--------------------
"Life has never been weird enough for my liking"

OfflineAdamist
ℚṲℰϟ✞ЇѺℵ ℛ∃Åʟḯ†У
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bloomington, IN
    #4392242 - 07/11/05 11:55 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Good thing I sold off those gas-powered vehicles awhile back, and got myself a nice bicycle.  :laugh:

--------------------
:heartpump: { { { ṧ◎ηḯ¢ αʟ¢ℌ℮мƴ } } } :heartpump:

InvisibleKingOftheThing
the cool fool
 User Gallery

Loc: USA
    #4392243 - 07/11/05 11:56 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

anne coulter says its ok to burn lots of gas and thats what good conservatives do..she says god wants us to rape the earth...she also says liberal are pussies cuz they drive little cars and not escalades and hummer h2s

OfflineGr8fulJ420
strange but nota stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: 0 moco
Re: Peak Oil [Re: Rono]
    #4392245 - 07/11/05 11:56 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Check out this site for some "Peak Oil" info:

http://www.lifeaftertheoilcrash.net/

Offlinecalx
Strange
 User Gallery
    #4392246 - 07/11/05 11:56 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

transport is just part of the problem. think of all the machinery, food production, including a lot of food itself! medicines, plastic, clothes.. the list is endless. just switching power sources is not enough, oil is the very blood of modern society. we simply could not function in the manner we do today without it.

--------------------
culture is not your friend

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds USA West Coast Strains   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom